5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for my niece!
Published on 27 Nov 2012 by Skyfox

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever Author
Published 20 months ago by Mrs. Connie L. Hurd

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for my niece!, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Clever Comprehension: Key Stage 2 Reading & Comprehension Practice Book 1 (Paperback)
I ordered Clever Comprehension for my niece who has been struggling with understanding comprehension texts. What I liked most about this book was that because it features classic stories like Rumplestiltskin, she immediately feel in love with it! In fact, she's asked me to buy her the full versions of many of the texts that are in this story. She loved the story extracts and felt confident when answering the questions. I'd definitely recommend Clever Comprehension for children of her age group (8-10) who are preparing for SATS KS2 exams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed!, 18 Sep 2014
hillarymiller (Boca Raton, Florida) - See all my reviews
My son is above target for literacy and I've been looking for books that challenge him. There a lot of books on the market but very few are designed for children who are able readers and need that extra push. My son spent a few days during the summer holidays going through Clever Comprehension. With most books, he'd make a half-hearted attempt at completing the papers but with this one, he seemed to fly through it and made no complaints. It was a very pleasant surprise! I definitely hope that the author creates some more books for children who need something more challenging. If your child is of lower ability then this would probably be too difficult but if they're hovering around a level 5/6 definitely get this as it will hep them to improve their comprehension skills and learn new vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tool to get my daughter thinking!, 27 Nov 2012
I bought Clever Comprehension because of a friend's recommendation and found it to be an excellent book for practicing comprehension and reading skills. The questions vary from being quite straight forward to being more complex but I like that because it made my daughter think more. The questions are also quite varied so she didn't get bored answering them. I found doing the first two with her and then leaving her to do the rest (in timed conditions) really helped her to practice on her own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Comprehension Review, 13 Mar 2013
I bought this book for my son who hates reading! He literally won't read and refuses to do the normal comprehensions that he's given at school. To my surprise, he loved this book! He really enjoyed reading the stories and now wants me to buy more books for him. It's been a complete turn around. I feel more confident that he'll pass his SATs exams which are just around the corner. I definitely recommend Clever Comprehension for children in key stages 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for children!, 18 Oct 2014
My son found the texts to be really challenging and a level up from the Schofield and Sims and Bond books (which we use religiously). He definitely needed something like this because the questions in the other books were a bit too simplistic especially as we're aiming for a Level 6 or 5a for the SATs. Great book for children who are aiming to do well at KS2 level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Book, 20 Oct 2014
Great book for children in years 5-6. Loved that it used classic texts as this made me realise that we need to get the kids reading them more often and it also encouraged the kids to look up new words in the dictionary and build their vocab. Only downside is that there weren't enough questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 4 Nov 2014
Wasn’t sure whether this book would help us with comprehension practice for Year 6 SATs but it does! If your child wants to do well and be able to handle any question that’s given to them then this is a great book to get!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 27 Nov 2014
Used Clever Comprehension for my daughter and we did the practice once every 2-3 days. She got a Level 6 in her SATs English so I'm using the book for my son too. Would definitely recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 Oct 2014
Wish text was in an A4 format.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever Author, 28 April 2013
Mrs. Connie L. Hurd "Sheherazade" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
The author is a private tutor and has cleverly put together some of her tutor-made comprehension questions and answers that go with diverse genres of texts that are out of copyright so she can use them legally. She has chosen texts of interest to Key Stage 2 students and has written questions about fact finding, meanings of words, use of simile, moral of the story, using quotations and impressions authors mean to give. The only drawback I find in the format of the book is that inside the A-4 cover, all printing is to an A-5 size which seems to spread the content out over more pages and makes the work to be done appear to be more lengthy than it is, in the child's eyes. I also am a one to one tutor and find that children who struggle with reading tend to feel daunted when faced with a number of pages to do. I think the contents would present better to children if in the full A-4 format. Also, the first paper, and extract from Charles Dicken's writing, is fine for a strong reader, but is too long for a child who finds reading difficult. The other passages are pleasingly short in length. This is a resource I have just begun to use with success.

Clever Comprehension: Key Stage 2 Reading & Comprehension Practice Book 1