2,026 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars All about character, not plot
Published 9 months ago by Sarah Durston

3.0 out of 5 stars All about character, not plot, 17 July 2014
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I read and enjoyed The Cuckoo’s Calling and so was looking forward to this follow-up. As with the first book I was much more taken by the characters than the plot. Strike is extremely likable and very well-rounded and the relationships between the main characters are really believable. Location too is great; I know that corner of London very well and it was lovely to read it brought to life so evocatively.

Sadly, it’s the plot that lets the whole book down; it reads like a crime novel written by someone who hasn’t read much crime. It lacks the pace of a Val McDermid or a PD James novel and so my main reason for finishing the book was because I was enjoying the character development.

I’d read another one, but hopefully it will be about a hundred pages shorter and have a bit more pace behind it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow up, 10 Mar. 2015
Last Year I bought the Audible version of "The Cuckoo's Calling" and over a period of several months(yes months) listened to this book while I was travelling in the car. I found it difficult to get into in this version and was not going to buy anything further. However I decided to give JK another chance and bought the kindle version of "the Silkworm". For me there is "magic" in the written word and I was drawn quickly into this story, finding a love for the main protagonists that was missing in the fragmented listening to the first book. Ms Rowling has given substance to Cormoran and Robin that merits further books to investigate their ongoing chemistry. The book itself has literary merit and in this crime genre shows much restraint in only having one murder to investigate rather than the usual serial killer prose that we so often receive. I did enjoy it and look forward to buying the (hopefully) next instalment of this pairing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Follow Up!, 5 July 2014
Eight months after the Landry case and Strike is back. Inundated with rich clients wanting their adulterous spouses tailed, the private detective is relieved to receive a likeable visitor with a quandary actually worth investigating. The wife of not-quite-famous author, Owen Quine, Leonora Quine wants her missing husband found. Cormoran takes on the case and quickly finds himself in and amongst London's squabbling literary circle, caught up in the mess created by Quine upon circulation of his latest manuscript; a libellous book in which he viciously attacks almost everyone he's ever worked with.

`Write what you know' is the age old adage and, where Rowling dipped into her experience of fame for The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm deals with a publishing world going through an identity crisis. Traditional publishing, self-publishing and the internet's influence are all fleetingly examined, and you can't help but wonder how many of Cormoran's suspects include portions of the real-life people Rowling encountered during her remarkable rise to superstardom. But then, given the repercussions of Quine's own manuscript, Bombyx Mori (Latin for silkworm), borrowed traits might well have been too ironic an inclusion for even the most cavalier of writers - an enjoyable conundrum to deliberate whilst reading.

A literary yet accessible crime thriller, The Silkworm is, like its predecessor, an excellent read. The mystery is moreish, the characters well-crafted, and the side plots - particularly the continuing animosity between Strike and his assistant's fiancé - are genuinely enjoyable. One of the few complaints is that Strike unravels the mystery with a bit of a clunk, and that the quotes at the beginning of every chapter are somewhat pretentious for a trashy (in the very best of ways) crime thriller. Yes, even one with such a literary heart.

Jack Croxall, author of Tethers (The Tethers Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Successor., 26 Aug. 2014
Having enjoyed "The Cuckoo's Calling" (not to mention all the other books of J K Rowlings) I was keen to see how the second book would fair. Although I found it darker, it was more enjoyable, possibly because I was familiar with the main characters. Once again the setting is atmospheric and beautifully observed while the characters, even the minor players, are carefully moulded to show depth and personality with all their idiosyncrasies, hang ups flaws and redeeming features.
The central plot twists and drags the reader through the streets of snowbound London, but I will not give away the main tenet as I feel spoilers are a curse. Suffice to say I hope Ms Rowlings (aka Robert Galbraith) in her literary circle does not come into contact with the seamier side of the publishing world.
A word of warning to those of a sensitive disposition; the language is often ripe, as befits the characters, and description of the body, luridly graphic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Empathy for Strike but too clunky, 21 Mar. 2015
You feel empathy towards the protagonist and his colleague (although there is undue repetition about his amputation and prosthesis, we did get the message! ) However the context of the 21st century literary world in London is inaccessible to most of us, even if the author is clearly familiar with it, and it is therefore arguably impossible for us to identify with any of the other characters or even understand them. There are some neat pieces of self-directed irony about writers, such as when Strike asks, What is this mania with getting into print? And when Quine's publisher says that what is needed is more readers and less writers - clearly the world of writers world is over crowded. However you need a strong stomach to read some of the descriptions, notably of the victim and of his manuscript Bombyx mori. The style is clunky at times and slowed down by dialogues, descriptions, and too many twists and turns providing red herrings. For this reason and that of being unable to identify with most of the characters, I gave this three stars. The action only really gathers pace in the last 25% and I did love the final twist about Quine's manuscript (I will not include a spoiler). There is a very memorable simile at Strike's moment of realisation of the truth- it is 'like the turning of a lid that finds its thread. ' We need more of this and less of the too-clever- by-far overloading of twists and repetitions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 21 Feb. 2015
I enjoyed Cuckoo very much. I like Cormoran although why go on about his leg all the time. I realise he is an amputee and I realise that that amputees have problems with their stumps (ex orthopaedic nurse) but to be continually alluding to it does not enhance the character of Cormoron or the story. It reminds me of Elizabeth Georges obsession with Linleys friemds leg (which with modern medicine/surgery would not be the problem it is in her books). I just thought why do they all care so much about a book tho as I don't move in literary circles perhaps that is what it is like. I also don't need explanations of every nickname 'Diddy' etc and his hair!!! These comments don't seem in keeping with the story unless she is still building up his character for the reader. I admit to finishing the book (and I often don't finis books I don't enjoy) because I wanted to know the end and the reasoning behind it. I found the writing style childish and the whole story absurd and totally unbeleivable.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Silkworm is a really good read and I would really recommend it, 1 Aug. 2014
The Silkworm is a really good read and I would really recommend it. JK Rowling’s strength is her character development and this shines through again with the hero Cormoran Strike and his assistant Robin, and you are left wanting to know more about them. The characters are extremely well thought out and there are lots of details to feast on. I particularly like all the pieces about Strike’s past at Oxford, him being rock star Jonny Rokeby’s son and his doomed love affair with Charlotte. Rowling has also clearly done her research with Strike’s disability and the problems it could cause.

Although I enjoyed this one, and its predecessor A Cuckoo Calling, I did find the plot a little clunky and, perhaps I missed them, there were no real clues throughout the novel as to who the villain was. It felt a bit like ‘pulling the curtain back.’ Plot is certainly not JK Rowling’s strength and if you like plot driven novels, you’re probably better off looking at some of the more established crime authors.

In summary, I think Rowling has hit on an excellent few characters and I expect there to be many more adventures of Cormoran Strike!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bombay Mix, 12 Oct. 2014
When I first saw the Latin title of the scandalous work at the heart of this novel, I misread it as Bombay Mix, hoping that the author had spiced up her tale with saucy references to nubile Indian maidens. But no such luck! Instead, we have lots of quotes from Jacobean Revenge Tragedy/Renaissance Drama and Restoration Comedy to evoke a refined literary atmosphere of envy and debauchery. At first, I found the story slow-going, even tedious at times, and kept comparing JK Rowling unfavourably to Sophie Hannah whose books fizz and sparkle, dragging the reader along in a whirlwind of breathtaking originality and frenzied passion. In contrast, this is more like flat champagne, lacking sparkle and natural flair. The author does provide plenty of controversial material but it comes across as contrived and forced, as though at the back of her mind she has a kind of inferiority complex as a children's writer and is trying too hard to be taken seriously. So, there is an overkill of literary quotes and references. Unlike a lot of reviewers, I don't think it's as good as the first book. This time, the author moves on from the fashion scene to the literary world in order to take potshots at various celebrities and wannabes. The main mitigating factor, though, is the ending when the book finally snaps into life. If I could, I would have given it 3.5*

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not as good as the first., 29 Jun. 2014
A. Janes "alix" (uk) - See all my reviews
As a readers of crime thrillers the book at the centre of the plot was miles away from what appeals to me, and the author was portrayed as some sort of weirdo so I found it hard to relate to him. The other characters are equally as awful with the exception of Robin and Strike, so it was not a good start. The story is complex and the method of death seemed gratuitous. I will continue with the series but hope the next one is better.

I found the literary quotes at the start of each chapter pretentious and annoying and I gave up bothering to read them. It felt a bit like the author was showing off by including them as they didn't add anything for me.
I got bored by the constant references to Strike`s false leg and sore stump, point made so stop going on about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this - really enjoyable fiction, 9 July 2014
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed the first in this series, I was very excited to see this was coming out. There's a strong chance that I have a big Cormoran Strike crush - I think he's a really well-written hero - but I enjoy Robin's character just as much.

Didn't see the ending of this whodunit coming - another pleasure of this book. Some gory details that slowed my progress at times, but I am very pleased that persevering led to such a satisfying conclusion.

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Novel)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Novel) by Robert Galbraith (Audio CD - 19 Jun. 2014)