5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting....
Published 23 months ago by tonyk

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of chatter - where's the substance?
I must underline now that I haven't finished reading this book and will update when I have done so, or more likely - if I can force myself to complete it. I'm about 1/3 of the way through, although having dipped into and read and often reread other sections, I've covered about 50% of the content ... Well, I've waded through about that much.

What have I...
Published 6 months ago by Valentina O.Cimun

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting...., 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics (Paperback)
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.I think in my case my head should have been forced under the water to put me out of my misery.Around a decade ago my teacher's wife,who was a student of the late Sun Jianyun,daughter of Sun Lutang,told me about the work that is presented in this book but it went in one ear and out of the other.Having been a longtime student of karate and Yiquan I came to the conclusion that Sun style Taiji was a variant of Yiquan due to Sun Lutang having the same Xingyi teacher as Wang Xiangzhai.Very logical.That is until you realise that Yiquan went mechanical and ended up as something completely different to what Wang Xiangzhai had practiced.The fact that the Sun form is almost impossible to "shili-ise" might have told me something.Over the years my teacher's wife has constantly told me its all about relaxation and qi and nothing to do with bio-mechanics,in fact she has told me I am easy to push because I am too tense.She just finds my tension and uses it against me.All this is down to me becoming an alignment freak and forgetting about relaxation.I just wish this book had been around ten years ago as it would have saved me years of blindly wandering around looking for something that wasn't there.

As the above poster says,this stuff seems to work straight out of the box.The "missing basic" switches the qi on in an instant and sensations can be felt all over the body.I have been aware of qi for the last 25 years and have trained with several qigong masters but have never experienced anything like this before for such little input.So far all I have done is the missing basic and my form practice and tried to get rid of as much tension as possible but its brought the form alive and made it a pleasure to perform.Early days and I will give an update in a year's time.

This book is very honest in that Scott dosen't make any outlandish claims of Taiji being a superior fighting art or even a fighting art at all.He dosen't parrot the so-called heath benefits as he can't produce any evidence to support such a claim.What he offers is a users manual for you to experience the same as he has experienced himself.Scott has the advantage of being able to read "old Chinese" and is able to translate it into terminology a westerner will understand.Sun Jianyun told my teacher that she felt it would be extremely difficult to translate some of her father's work into another language as we haven't got words to desribe these concepts.Scott did an excellent job of his translation of Sun Lutang's key essay and that alone is worth the price of the book.Give it a go as it certainly won't bore you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Intriguing Perspective, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics (Paperback)
This book does not aim to provide illustrated step-by-step instructions. Instead, it presents an entirely new aspect of martial arts training; namely, relaxation and the awareness of your own body that comes with it. Even if you don't believe in qi / ki / kundalini / all that new age stuff, the material in this book provides a good basis for mind training and somatic education. It isn't specific to any style of Taiji, in fact it probably isn't specific to any martial art, and many of these ideas could be adapted to any art that allows introspection.

The material is presented in order of increasing detail and complexity rather than sequentially. So there is apparent repetition, but actually each reptition reveals more detail and refinement than the previous. Because that's how you learn physical skills.

The style is lively, humourous and irreverent, unconventionally coherent and lucid. Some people have found this annoying - they probably take themselves too seriously and should just relax.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics (Paperback)
Juice is a top notch book on Taiji .Most books on Taiji are only a bunch of photos and detailed explanations of postures.This book deals with energetics, it can save if not months, but years for a practitioner of Martial Arts.It is a masterpiece. Buy this one , that is an investment that will return your spent money a hundredfold, if not more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all TaiJi practioners, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics (Paperback)
"Relax! Relax!" If there was any word I heard more of from my teacher I can't think of it. "Yield!" was up there too but "Relax!" was a constant. I'm still working on it and I agree with the reviewer who said 'You can take a horse to water but can't make it drown...." (or something like that ;-) ). This book has been a long time coming and well overdue. All I can say is; buy the book, read it, absorb it, PRACTICE and PERSEVERE.
Witty, well written and somewhat iconoclastic especially where sacred cows are concerned. Having read this I'm somewhat embarrassed by my own literary effort in this area and will probably pull it from publication. Thanks Scott, you've done us all a great service!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that won't please everyone, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics (Paperback)
Scott has an unusual and often controversial perspective, multiple decades of training with high level teachers. Exploring and unpacking many assumptions and preconceptions along the way.

Now whether you agree or not, Scott is the real deal when it comes to this depth of energy practice. He speaks directly from experience drawing only from classics to support his teaching, not to parrot them for the sake of it.

I disagree with him, only in the sense, that while for Scott this energy work is the real Taiji, I simply view it as Daoist neigong. Now of course, what I mean is not the excessively ritualised or elaborate practices that some throw around (something I believe Scott is familar with). Scott's preference is to practice this neigong within Taiji. A preference, it appears, that echoes his grand-teacher who went to great lengths in modifying his form to achieve just this end.

For those interested in reading about this kind of neigong (within a taiji framework or not), and want to cut through to the heart of the matter, I highly recommend this book.

For those "structural" bio-mechanicaly only minded people, as Scott himself says, this book ain't for you. You'll probably find it annoying at best, and at worst, well...lets not not go there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended book about energetics, 2 July 2014
Excellent book.

Practices on this book are easy enough to grasp them so you can actually feel the energy in your body. If you have been practicing a lot, it can really boost your training into a new level. This book made me realize how tense I'm and helped me a lot with relaxation. I could also grasp the practices so I could produce the effects in my body after few tries.

What this book is not, it is not another book about how to make a form or translations of ancient Chinese writings. This comes from a guy that clearly has deep understanding how the body works and he gives the map how to follow it. Hopefully It might help you a lot, like it did for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading if you want to get more from tai chi, 28 Aug 2014
R. Bellamy (east anglia UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics (Paperback)
Great read, and refreshing to find a book in which the author brings the subject matter straight to the reader in easy terms , cutting through all the esoteric terms and mystique that so many authors seem to think essential.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of chatter - where's the substance?, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics (Paperback)

What have I learned so far? What can I remember?

I know lots about Scott Meredith. He's 40lb lighter than the average American male. He still takes on all comers for 3 round boxing matches and may demonstrate his qi skills 1-2-1 as well - only at the moment, though.He's highly trained in martial arts and fighting techniques and although his teacher's not directly mentioned his name is to found within the pages and during Scotts first exposure to qi gong he felt the qi - his mate didn't.

Scott describes three 'Fallacies'. Off hand, I remember there's one called a Kriya Fallacy; didn't understand why he named it this,, as Kriya translates as action and kriyas are used in yoga, usually in the form of focusing upon energy direction around the nadis (channels) or between different chakras. Much the same technique is used with qi gong and taiji and, as some call it, taoist yoga but Scotts Kriya Fallacy wasn't about energy direction and seemed much the same as the Theatrical Fallacy ... basically, people do showy stuff as a demonstration of their qi power but it's fake. Fair do's but this could have been shortened to a paragraph .. instead of a chapter. Can't remember the other fallacy nor what it's about but I've read it a couple of times.

What else have I learned?

Scott has been badly hurt in car crashes, seriously injured in fights and has experienced periods of poor health but has never missed a days qi gong practice and everyone should do likewise - that is, practice daily, regardless. Taiji/qi gong is all about relaxation. There are certain points were the qi accumulates and can be tapped into ... oh no, I didn't learn this from Juice I knew the last two already.

Hmmmm what else has this book taught me?

I know that Scott enjoys mnemonics, for example, there's FAB .. can't remember what that means, although I've read it dozens of times .. something about the body. There's BRUTE too. I thought I had remembered this one ... it's related to, oh I've forgotten but I haven't read the book for two days. Ahhh but there's ARC .. and that stands for Accumulation, Rebound and Catch. There's NEXUS too .. no idea what that is, and also the mysterious (I'm going to refer to the book now, the rest was all from memory) ahhh, yes, the mysterious ZMQ37. This is regularly referred to but I can't find out what it is. ZMQ37 is first mentioned, I believe, on P.59 and crops up frequently thereafter, but it's not in the glossary and there's no index and I've been unable to locate it within the book even though it appears to be very important as it's so frequently referenced.

Finally ...

I'm giving the book three stars because there's a few nice drawings, a couple of reasonable charts but more in hope that I'm going to discover some substance within this heavyweight flannel.

The three stars have been awarded for some nice charts as well

As of yet I've learned nothing except there are several fallacies and the people using them are doing it for show. It's also explained that Taiji is all about relaxing .. and not collapsing. Hmmmm well I knew this.

5.0 out of 5 stars This the tai chi book, 22 July 2013
J. Roper - See all my reviews
Finally someone has written a book that actually gets to the core of tai chi chuan. We are always told that tai chi is an 'internal' art but very few people - teachers included - can translate this into practice, so there is much concentration on form structure and tai chi turns into upright Pilates. The old classics (which Scott Meredith refers to constantly) are shrouded in inuendo so the true meanings are difficult for the average reader to grasp. Meredith describes the what and the how of developing and using energy to power your tai chi There is no mystery, the excercises are easy for any dedicated practitioner with a few years knowledge to follow. You just have to do it!

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and thought provoking, 27 Nov 2012
witty and interesting book on the authors experience in taichi. you may not agree with everything he says, but dont let that stop you enjoying what is presented. who couldn't do with a little more relaxation in their life?

Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics
Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics by Scott Meredith (Paperback - 8 Sep 2012)
9.87