Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 May 2013
I get the feeling that these guys are a little fitter than they let on, however an unrivalled perchant for s***e food and a good adventure makes you think "I could do that".

Could I?..........
on 2 April 2013
Moving past 40 you start looking back and wonder where your youth has gone and wishing you had done this or that, it seems the older I get the more adventures I want to do. Dividing the great is now another adventure on my bucket list. Great and funny story about 2 mates who talk a good adventure and never really do one until one goes ahead and bluffs the other into buying the airline tickets. Worth the price and the time to read it and just makes you want to do something epic like this.
on 10 April 2013
Having read the other reviews on this book I can say that it lived up to my expectations. It is well written in a humorous and descriptive way to give you a connection with both the people involved and the situations that they experienced. John Metcalfe plays down the effort required to complete the route to some degree taking away the hero aspect of the ride which many other books tend to dwell on. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 8 August 2013
I loved this book – it was right up my street. Not the best written book ever but thoroughly entertaining, informative and very readable. I enjoyed the relationship between the two characters, the mistakes that they made and the sheer “for the hell of it” mentality. It the sort of journey any cyclist could do and that is why you remain glued to the last page.

Buy this book.
on 13 June 2016
I very much enjoyed this book about Metcalfe's marathon bike ride down the spine of the USA (actually 2.4k hard miles). The book has energy and wit and the trick John Metcalfe achieves is to keep the reader interested to the end which is greatly to his credit. What I didn't appreciate so much were three things: his unnecessarily rococo writing style in the first half of the book where he throws in arcane English words that seem a bit showy and don't add to the reading pleasure (curiously he grows out of this in the last third of the book - I'm guessing this was his attempt at a humorous style) ; secondly an over reliance on the use of the f word seems a bit overcooked; and lastly (and I was reading on a kindle) there were an irritatingly large number of typographic errors or words missing from the text. Is this a kindle thing? Did he not have an editor? Nevertheless, these irritations are like the squeaky bottom bracket or the chafing saddle in the context of an extraordinary, epic bike ride.
on 16 October 2014
All cyclist tourist should read this book. Having visited some of the areas the cyclist passed through, you can appreciate the sheer scale of the scenery, and their accurate description of the countryside. They not only had the great American Dream, they rode it.
Look forward to his next adventure.
on 1 October 2013
This is John Metcalfe's story of how he and a mate flew out to the USA, and cycled the whole length of the Great Divide, from the Canadian border to El Paso on the Mexican border. They did it travelling very light.....at times I thought worryingly light.....on mountain bikes. This was a tremendous physical achievement yet in describing how it went, the author has an innate quality of not taking himself too seriously. He was determined to achieve his goal in the face of great physical hardship, yet he's the first to poke fun at himself and his trail-mate when things didn't go to plan. This was a really good read for those of us who love the Great Outdoors.
PS...Don't take any notes on John and JK's trail food though, I think they had the diet from hell! When I do a long hard ride/run etc, the words Pasta, Porridge and Tuna pop into my head. In John's case, it was more 'Donuts, coffee, and pies.'
on 6 April 2013
Having only ever read about the Great Divide Trail in magazines previously it was very interesting and informative to read a full length book of two guys under taking this adventure. Humorous and at times slightly infuriating that people could make what seem to me naive choices and mistakes. The writing did let me feel some of the emotions and experiences of the trip. Sadly I know I'm too soft to even dream of undertaking such a trip but it was good to do it in my head along with John and JT.

I can recommend this to anyone interested in travelogues and especially anyone who has read a short magazine article about the GET and are considering it. I'd recommend you look at this book before making your mind up, you'll get a much more realistic picture of the undertaking IMHO.
on 21 February 2014
You can tell if an account of an epic adventure is any good based on your own subsequent feelings toward that adventure. Having read this book, riding the divide is now on my todo list. Well worth a read, especially at the bargain price on Kindle
on 29 September 2014
As a cyclist I was very interested in the tales from such an epic ride but, as someone who reads very little, this booked kept me hooked. Easy to follow and I could really relate to Johns adventure, understanding the highs and lows of cycling