4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and readable, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
The plot has an original begining and moves along nicely. Tha characters are well drawn mature and believable. Would an alien device whose main purpose is to make contact behave so mysteriously though? For mature readers there is a bit too much sermonising at a fairly simplistic level but I very much sympathised and agreed with the general phylosophy although i would not be quite as cynical about the human race .

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice balance of science and characterisation, 12 Nov 2012
P. Hannam (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book: the author seemingly put effort into not only fleshing out the characters and their various relationships but also in getting the science right.

I felt it came across as a political thriller based around a sci-fi plot: it's essentially a book about how the world reacts to an advanced alien species visiting the Earth. There more to it than that though, and the discussions it presents around humanity and our footprint are interesting.

All in all I enjoyed it, and it's new ending is a welcome improvement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, intelligent Sci-Fi, 4 Dec 2011
Dr. H. Smith "Dr Herbie" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this short, independently written novella. Good writing, a good premise, and characters I wanted to know more about. I found I didn't like the ending as much as the rest of the book (I shan't spoil it for reader, though).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent science fiction that arouses your imagination, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
The first thing we look for in good science fiction is originality. Anomaly by Peter Cawdron achieves that and much, much more. It eloquently describes one possible scenario for first contact with an alien civilization. Another great concept of good science fiction (or good fiction in any genre) is to see the average person become the hero. In Anomaly, the hero is just your average science teacher; someone who has a passion for science and that helps him to solve one of the great mysteries of mankind. This is the stuff that classic science fiction cinema is made of. But alas, Hollywood has lost their way and will probably never stumble upon this sleeping blockbuster.

I don’t think an alien civilization would have any frame of reference for the basic concept of the alien-to-human communication in this wonderful story. However, the science in the book shouldn’t be over-analyzed. That’s why we call it science FICTION. It should be just plain fun and it is. Have fun, get this book and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read !!! - something a little out of the ordinary, 30 April 2014
J. Robinson (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
This is a relaxing read with good character and relationship development. It has you wondering what direction it is heading. The ending is a little strange but very appropriate to the story so don't be put off when you read this elsewhere - it couldn't have a different conclusion. I would recommend this book to all. The only reason I have dropped the score a bit is because of the similarity of part of the plot to that of other books - ENJOY

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking., 19 April 2014
Martin R. Read (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
Would we really be this bad as a species if this really happened? I hope not but fear can make fool's of us all, a well written story with colourful characters who you can relate to. I hope for a second instalment as I would like to know if we grow up to be all we can be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anomaly - Good Writing, Good Characters, Fairly Good Story, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
This is my first read of a Peter Cawdron book. It comes in at just under 300-pages. The story has good, consistent pace to it. I could relate to the characters and, with the modest amount of back-filler provided, found them generally likable.

I enjoyed the experience of reading the novel. The storyline isn't perhaps fully original, a point acknowledged by the author at the end of the book, and it might be taken as a lecture in some parts, but it remained an engaging read to the end. I liked it and will find more to read from Mr Cawdron in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was pleasantly surprised with this book..., 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few first contact sci-fi books recently and this was good, definitely worth a read. The concept is different and interesting (which is always a nice surprise), and the characters were likeable. I agree with another reviewer that the political and social aspects were maybe slightly simplistic and extreme, but not enough to detract from the book.

The storyline stayed on central thread throughout which made the book easy and light (in a good way) to read. Enjoyable and will look for more from the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Sci-fi story of first encounter with Aliens, 31 July 2013
Granddadscott "Nosquirrels" (North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anomaly (Kindle Edition)
A novel idea and the characters come across as real people.
If you are into hero fighting aliens then it's not for you.
The concept is quite good and even though you don't get detailed info of the aliens
it does not detract from the story.
Well worth reading.

Anomaly
Anomaly by Mr Peter Cawdron (Paperback - 1 Sep 2011)
6.21