5.0 out of 5 stars Great read
I enjoyed this book and am now reading the second in the series. The main character differs from the norm and I like the pirate element. The main character is strong and the story written with humour. A little different and very enjoyable.
Published 7 months ago by Westsuzy

1.0 out of 5 stars Thrown in at the deep end...
I could not get on with this book at all... I was both inspired by the title, and attracted by the beautiful cover artwork - but was disappointed...

Published 17 months ago by FAMOUS NAME

1.0 out of 5 stars Thrown in at the deep end..., 28 May 2013
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I hate the kind of novels that throws the reader in at the deep end and start off `all action' without any real background in an attempt to get you hooked on the first chapter, where for me it simply makes one feel out of it... I like to know who the characters are, and without having to get too far in to discover. I somehow didn't find the title had much in common with the story. Whether I was in the wrong mood - or just simply found the style of writing not able to hold my attention, I'm unsure. I may or may not give this another go at some time in the future, but for now, this is not for me...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid opener, 23 Feb 2014
Really enjoyed the book from start to finish. The book provides a good plot with some unexpected twists and the character development of the main hero was very good. Pogue excels at describing the world in which the book is set, which, coupled with a fast moving plot had me hooked.

Would highly recommend and have already bought the second book in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars So totally unexpected, what a great story!, 21 Feb 2014
Ok I have to admit I like reading Fantasy novels, nothing like a bit of sword and sorcery for me to escape with. I had actually downloaded a sample of Aaron Pogue's novel "The Dreams of Oberon", and when I eventually found the time to read the full novel, it had been republished and re titled the dreams of A Dying God. Aaron is one of those gifted Authors who can describe clearly and deeply without an awful lot of words. A skill I admire as I can’t claim to be that way myself. The story starts at a good pace with no preamble. In that respect it’s like the first Indiana Jones film. No Back story straight into the action. I was already hooked, but then something I simply hadn’t expected started to unveil itself. I really can’t say more, as it would ruin the story. Here is a simile. You take a car for a test drive but it turns out it's also a boat. (Told you I wasn’t a gifted writer). Yes its Swords and Pirates, pistols and Elves. No it doesn’t in anyway follow a predictable plot. I can’t recommend it highly enough, I escape into Aarons richly crafted world and then he helped me escape from there two. I am so enthusiastic about this book and the author. Have now read the sequel and will be giving that 5 stars too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boredom, 11 Aug 2014
Yes bored, I struggled to get to the half way point on this book. The title and the fantastic art work on the cover is all I can be excited about. I regret buying this, I regret reading as much of it as I did.

Reaching the half way point I find the the joy of reading had become a grind and that I could not care less about the characters "as their eyes narrowed" for a second more and I am now totally disinterested in what happens in the end... I ended up disliking this book so much I was actually avoiding my Kindle.

For me "The Dreams of a Dying God was an unenjoyable tedious waste of time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars a real page-turner!, 19 Oct 2014
Praise to Aaron Pogue who took the a string of Shakespearean yarn to knit a fantastic tale I hardly could lay aside. His wonderful language introduced the characters so vividly that it was easy to see them before the inner eye.
Not one moment was boring and the story itself unfolded in steps that kept a fast and clever pace from beginning to end! Can't wait to start the second book of the saga.

3.0 out of 5 stars Corin's trip into history, 6 Jun 2013
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A fantasy novel. It runs for three hundred and fourteen pages and is divided into thirty seven chapters.

It has no maps or cast of characters or glossary. And the whole story is self contained. Although the ending would allow for sequels, so this may turn out to be the start of a series.

The main character is Corin. A pirate. On a quest. Not at sea, but into the middle of the desert, looking for a long lost city that should hold treasure.

When the treasure turns out to be not what anyone expected, his crew mutiny and leave him to die. But he wakes up and finds himself in the past. When the city was inhabited. But with it's king under threat and the city in danger Corin will have to fight to survive if he wants to get home.

None of the above is a spoiler because it is all detailed on the blurb. This does cover the first few chapters, and the book begins by throwing you right into the middle of the action. It can be difficult to get used to a book when it does this and only then gradually fills in the details, but this one isn't too hard to pick up and get involved in.

For the above period, at the very least.

Once Corin is back in the past things do take a while to really get going. Seeing him react to how the history he knows is slightly different from what he's experiencing is quite interesting. But the world building, the characters, and the prose, whilst not being bad are just no more than very good. And the whole thing doesn't really grab as much as you might hope.

Things do start to click from the midway point when you realise what the villain is up to. It does have to be say that what world building you get is rather original and different and a fascinating mix of concepts, but what should be a great bit of swashbuckling adventure is only fitfully gripping.

However the final quarter of the book is very good, because it reveals some interesting plot developments and character development also, and does bring the story to a good close. It is ultimately more of a character drama about it's lead character than a bit of swashbuckling fantasy, but asthe former it does work in the end.

So a book that didn't quite work for me, but did have some good points. If you like fantasy that is a bit different from the norm, it might be worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD STORY BUT HARD TO FOLLOW, 21 Mar 2014
This is the first book of a gods dream of creation. His creations all have free will to make their decisions and Oberon has to make the world work. As time goes on he finds it harder and harder to make it work. It is compelling reading but the many twists and turns while being exciting make it harder to understand what is actually happening. Once you get further into the book and you begin to really understand the plot, it is magic in more ways than one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oberon's Dreams - Exciting Read? Well for Son, 27 Oct 2013
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of those books that as soon as son saw and read the back of wanted to read it. Well he is just about on chapter twenty four and really enjoying it. Myself I just could not quite get into it. Maybe something to do with it not being my usual type of read, not the books fault. However son thinks it one of the best so far and is thinking maybe there could be a sequel. Plus I am in his good books for getting him such a good one.

The back of the book really does give quite a lot of the story away, but saying that it is not spoilt. Son thinks it just adds to the excitement and waiting until what is put in the blurb to happen...... The chapters are only a few pages each so easy to read a couple of chapters in a very short time.

Corin the main character is one of a kind, things that might be a problem he seems to overcome and what an exciting time he seems to have according to son. More like a grown up Zelda (he loves action fantasy games and I think this is what drew him to it). At least it is keeping him quite at the start of the holidays with Druids, dwarfs and fairies, rescues and mutinies. He seems to think that Corin will survive and save the lady

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm, 18 Mar 2014
A bit too 'Faerie' for me, a bit stilted in places, quite hard work but leaves me a little bit curious to see what happens!

The Dreams of a Dying God (The Godlanders War Book 1)
The Dreams of a Dying God (The Godlanders War Book 1) by Aaron Pogue (Paperback - 11 Feb 2014)