Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 June 2014
Ed never fails to deliver and as plot spoilers are an anathema to me I refuse to give even outlines. Sufficient to say if you have read any 87th precinct story, this one will rate at least as highly as the last you read. If you are a newbie to the series. You are in for a treat.
on 20 January 2014
I have rated this 4 star. loved the intrigue , enjoyed the characters, story line was good. just wanted to find out what happened in the court case which must have followed! recommend this book.
on 10 August 2014
Ed Mcbain will be sorely missed. He possibly never received the acclaim he deserved. What will become of Steve Carrella, after reading ever 87th precinct book, I feel like I know the guy.
on 5 December 2013
Murder and mystery in the 87th Precinct, assiduous detective work brings the culprit to justice and all ends well when the alligators kill the "Baddie"
on 25 December 2013
Classic McBain, ticking all the right boxes. First book of his I've read set in this century and a very smooth transition the 87th has made to Today.
on 16 January 2014
I was gripped at every turn and found it difficult to put the book down. My only reservation was knowing which novel then addressed the unresolved murders. I have purchased other Ed McBain novels all of which are gripping but can only hope that I stumble across the one addressing the unresolved murders in the first book.

This has happened to me twice before with Kindle books so I need to investigate how this keeps happening - Hard copy is likely to recommend a follow up novel
on 26 December 2013
Ed McBain is the best writer I have read he puts you in the squad room with all the main men and woman who lives are there to be seen
on 4 January 2016
I'm a devoted Ed McBain fan and read many of his 87th precinct books but to me this is so different, maybe he was trying to change the formula (pressure from the publishing world?). The usual in detail conversations are missing, he jumps from one scene to another without warning, the usual background personal life cameo of one of the officers is absent, finally although I am well aware that all the novels are based on sex and violence this one really pushes it to the fore.
on 24 November 2015
Ed.McBain has very good powers of description which I enjoy ,but sometimes I get so interested in this aspect that I lose my way into the plot and have to revert.At almost 90 I have been reading his books since the 50s and have never been disappointed.I enjoyed Nocturne but it is a typical example of my comment,the plot gets a little complicated and I got lost towards the last quarter but again his descriptive powers are superb.
on 5 October 2014
I love the Ed McBain 87th precinct novels and bought 20 when tere was a 'special' kindle daily deal.
It is great to follow the same characters in each book, they all take part in stories to a greater or lesser extent except Steve Carella who is a central pin but they all appear often.
I am glad Ed McBain wasn't encouraged to kill him off early in the series.
All the books are good thriller/cop stories/mysteries.