Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Prime Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 November 2014
Have been a fan of Ed McBain for 50 years, and have collected and re-read all the 87th Precinct books during that time. Now I'm going back to the 87th - this time with ebooks. This is one of the few McBain stories that I haven't really enjoyed, mainly because, although it's categorised as a 87th Precinct novel, it's not really about the characters that you come to know. It's a different take on the usual format, but for me I wasn't really interested in the main character in this, and wanted to engage more with the regular 'bulls' of the 87th. It's not badly written, the story's as well constructed as you would expect from McBain, but if it was the first 87th Precinct I'd picked up, I'd not be too engaged to pick up another. An interesting read if you know the 87th - but not the usual page turner. I can usually read an 87th in one sitting - it took several attempts to get through this one, I'm afraid.
on 14 October 2013
Rather disappointed with this one. It was ok, I read it to the end, but the story as the story unfolded I realised what the end would be.
The smain subject of the story is slightly "slow", supposedly lived and raised in the rural backwoods, struggles with his conscience - I won't give more away, but recommend you try some other Ed McBain stories.
on 28 May 2013
It was an unusual story not the sort that I would normally choose to read. I kept wanting to give the main character a sharp kick to get the story moving. I felt a little let down by the ending. I would not say that this was "A must read"
on 7 April 2013
This book sets a good depth of anticipation, which diminishes as the story proceeds. By the end, there is no surprise or fulfilment of the plot.Worth reading if only to confirm the vacuity of the plot.
on 20 November 2013
One of the few crime writers I love reading, his 87th precinct stories are all good and believable, the characters all seem human and you can relate to them all.
on 25 October 2013
Good not great. The book demonstrates what an excellent story teller Ed McBain was but it falls short in my opinion of being a great 87th precinct book.
on 14 October 2013
Yet another top class short novel in this long series. This is different from his usual, in that the reader is kept guessing almost to the end exactly what is happening. It gradually, and very tantalisingly, becomes clearer as realisation dawns on the reader. The police department (87the Precinct) appear only occasionally, unlike most of the other books.
The man was a master!
on 21 January 2015
Delivered ok to my old kindle, which later died, and my ipad. How do I get this book transferred to my new kindle, which works fine and is properly registered, without paying again? Have checked and new books deliver OK to both. This is a nuisance as I have paid for several books I cannot seem to get back. I would like a reply Peter Kennedy.
on 11 November 2014
Disappointing book. The story is obvious after the first chapter but unravels painfully slowly. The 87th precinct characters are painfully shoehorned in and serve no real purpose. Not sure if this is setting things up for a future novel but really should have been a stand alone book and not part of the 87th precinct series.
on 27 May 2015
I started to read this book and was loathe to put it down until I finished. This story was unlike the others in this series. I won't say too much more because I don't want to spoil the ending. I would recommend this book, hence the rating.