5.0 out of 5 stars Rlll with a difference
As a member of the Richard lll Society I am always a little wary of new works about the king - often very romantic & fanciful. So I found this one quite refreshing. Richard is depicted as a 'real' person on the historical stage, and also likeable without being too attractive - he has flaws which are all too evident. His relationship with Anne & his family/friends are...
Published 24 months ago by Julia

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
I enjoyed this as I'm fascinated by the subject. My biggest issue was that the kindle transcript kept jumping about with some parts missing. Poor editing from the publisher, otherwise a very enjoyable read.
Published 15 months ago by MR RM KIRKUP

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 12 April 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars King Richard III, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Paperback)
This book has a good idea for the plot,and the writer has obviously done a great deal of research.
However the poor grammar and anachronisms are annoying.There were no pews in churches in hte middle ages, and people did not use a mixture of modern slang in their speech! One for poeple who don't mind glaring mistakes.But a good try, and an ingenious plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sub editors needed, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
I've only just begun this book, and it promises to be interesting, but - once again I have found the same problem that seems to beset many of the Kindle editions. Already I have found several obvious typos ("feint" for "faint" (twice); "ascent" for "assent"). These bring the reader up short, take you out of the story and make it necessary to re-read the sentence to find out what it should have said. What is more, they are unnecessary. This is sloppy sub-editing, and as such is something of an insult to the reader. I have found the same problem in several other Kindle books recently.

I hope that publishers of e-books will take note of this, and start making their sub-editing a bit more stringent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor Richard III, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
An exciting read giving a comprehensive overview of events of Richard III's short adult life, with rounded characters and lots of detail. Matthew is a brilliant writer, bringing those brutal times alive to the reader - sometimes too alive, the battle scenes are vividly described, and must have been truly horrific to be part of !. This is not solely about Richard, but includes others on the periphery of his life and events of the time. The various scenarios put forward by Matthew are entirely believable, and offer a different take on what MAY have happened all those centuries ago.
It's quite hard to express how good this book is - so do yourself a favour and read it for yourself, please !
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
Very good book.gives the alternative, and in my view accurate story of richard the third. Will read again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my perception, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
My perception of Richard 111 had always gone along with the old school teaching of an overly ambitious and cruel king. What a difference a book makes! I now have a better understanding of why Richard was so highly thought of in the North and how the desperate needs of the aristocracy to retain their feudal powerbase has misinformed generations of school children. This was a fascinating and well written book, although I completely lost the sense of why More and Holbein were there I wonder if there is a further book to come. After reading this book I would be completely on the side of those who want Richard's remains to be returned to York. Look forward to reading more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing portrayal of Richard III, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
I became fascinated with Richard III many years ago after watching Laurence Olivier's portrayal of Shakespeare's unbelievably evil character. Since then I have read many, many books about him and in my opinion this is the BEST of all the books I've read. The characters feel so real; Richard is shown as neither an outright saint nor sinner but a real person. Some other reviewers have complained about grammatical errors in the book, to be honest I was so engrossed I didn't notice any. The final battle scene was so well written that, despite obviously knowing the outcome, I was in tears as it was so moving. I cannot wait to read the sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit repetetive, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
I THOUGHT IT OVERLY RELIANT ON REPETETIVE DESCRIPTIONS OF RICHARDS TEMPER THIS BECAME BORING. IT WAS INTERESTING AS IT GAVE A SYMPATHETIC VIEW OF RICHARD AND HIS ACTIONS AND DID MAKE ME QUESTION THE HISTORICAL STORY THAT HE KILLED HIS TWO NEPHEWS. THE EVIDENCE THAT OTHER PEOPLE WHERE MORE LIKELY INVOLVED WAS WELL PRESENTED.

4.0 out of 5 stars True story?, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed reading it - unashamedly Ricardian. Would take issue with the subtitle 'The True Story of King Richard III'. We do not know the true story and probably never will. I don't believe Richard III was the 'all round good egg' that this book seems to suggest - neither do I believe he was anything close to Shakespear's villain. With respect to the mystery of the Princes in the Tower, this book embraces one theory amongst several, (I won't spoil it for potential readers by identifying it). It is well written and weaves a good story around actual events. Accept it for what it is and enjoy it ... don't treat it as an academic history text though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truth we will never know, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Loyalty (Kindle Edition)
A interesting read it gives a new aspect to Richard I never believed he had the prince's killed.the book is well written has a ring of truth .I would like to believe he died in battle as written he deserved to.he was a forward thinking king who thought of all his people he was loved by the north.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Loyalty
Loyalty by Matthew Lewis (Paperback - 15 Jun 2012)
10.99