5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable
I have used this to support learning in computer science and encouraged students to read it. Some of the ideas are quite advanced but it is a fun way to learn and introduce ideas. One of the students intended to use it with a young nephew and I intend to read the story with my grandchildren.
Published 16 months ago by Kiwi ET

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea
As a geek I like this book but it hasn't connected with my 9 + 8 year olds - yet!
Published 17 months ago by A. Batey

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 20 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent introduction without complex maths, 2 Mar 2013
I got this for my youmg daughter who I am teaching Python see "Python for Kids", that includes Turtle Graphics. This book is a fun introduction to more general computational science.

4.0 out of 5 stars God way of dealing with a complex subject, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Computational Fairy Tales (Paperback)
Bought to get an insight into this tricky subject and found that it was presented in a way that made for an enjoyable read. I even understood some of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for learning computational concepts if you are a teenager, 9 April 2014
this has got to be one of the best books I've ever read! The "practical" usage of the concepts in a magical kingdom really shows you how and why it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars He then turns the pages to his favourite bit - 'Bridge upgrades and the game of Hamiltonian ..., 22 July 2014
This review is from: Computational Fairy Tales (Paperback)
Complex computer concepts made simple - even my pet wild crow seems to understand it - he flies into my home, perches on my book, and then jumps onto my shoulder and croaks until I open the book and let him read it. He then turns the pages to his favourite bit - 'Bridge upgrades and the game of Hamiltonian paths' before opening the bread bin and flying off with a wholemeal roll - and then recursively popping back in at regular intervals for another read and another bun (or a slice of bacon).

His exam is next week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Computational Fairy Tales (Paperback)
Very good for getting the object of programming across to low ability groups. Used on my year 8s, just adapted what was used to their age group and bingo they now understand logic and algorithims.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic introduction to computational thinking, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Computational Fairy Tales (Paperback)
I have recommended this book to half a dozen friends so far and even bought a copy for a lad down the road who is interested in learning to program. The ideas in the books are illustrated in a really clear and engaging way. Plus the overall structure of the books has been carefully thought out to advance both the student's understanding of computational thinking and keep the reader engaged with the rather humorous journey of discovery by the Princess. I sincerely hope that this book will help to inspire new generations of software developers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to Computational Theory, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Computational Fairy Tales (Paperback)
Concise and really fun to read. A lot more manageable than many other books out there but still very informative - great for beginners.

The fairy tale element isn't over done, it nicely provides relatable situations for each topic in case you're struggling to understand and gives the book a good sense of humour.

Really recommend it for anyone interested in the subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, 23 Mar 2013
A. Batey (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning coding/computer science? Get this book - even if you're an adult, 21 Aug 2014
I am a beginner in coding. I was given a secondary school reading list and this was on it (mind you, I'm 30+). It's exceptional at helping me to understand the basics of coding and in such a way that I remember them, too.

Best purchase ever!

Computational Fairy Tales
Computational Fairy Tales by Jeremy Kubica (Paperback - 26 Jun 2012)
6.39