4.0 out of 5 stars A Twist you won't see coming, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Kindle Edition)
This is a good science fiction story but is also a well-written mystery. A crime has been committed, but space travel takes years and the crime is 30 years old before anyone knows about it and the evidence is on a planet 30 years travel away. Try that one for a thorough investigation.

I enjoyed this as I've enjoyed many of the old scifi classics. Add a touch of gender politics for originality and multiple layers along with some appropriately futuristic technology and especially innovative uses for AI. The bulk of the story involves the mystery so the space travel aspect is primarily a backdrop, but the story flows nicely and the characters are well-defined. The reader gets some interesting insights into the minds of specific characters and how they react to 'unusual' situations which gives the story real depth.

I suspect everyone will have their own favourite character but for me it was Julia, a very clever AI. Mellor does a good job of making the unbelievable believable and working the advanced technology into the storyline. It's a good strong 4 stars plus for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A biased review., 15 Sep 2012
Sean W. Mellor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Kindle Edition)
This was written by my brother, so I guess I am biased. However like some other reviewers I found the start too reliant on dialogue but it gets better, much better, elegantly written, clever and witty, a must read for any fan of sci-fi or detective stories or just fans of a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Long Sleep by Stephen Mellor, 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Paperback)
I'm looking forward to other books by Stephen. I really enjoyed the Long Sleep. Wasn't sure that I would as I'm not really a huge sci fi fan. I like Dr Who but that's my limit! But it wasn't that sci fi. It was a detective story set in the future. I got straight into it and couldn't put it down. A reall enjoyable easy read with a bit of oomph too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story., 25 Jun 2012
Ms. V. Ford "AniseFreya" (Hamshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Kindle Edition)
The 5 star ratings say it all so I won't repeat it here.

Just want to say that I found this book to be a real page turner with an engrossing story. I loved the fluffy, feel-good ending, too. It really capped the story off and such a clever way of phrasing the last sentence.

I'm looking forward to more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a Sci-fi, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Kindle Edition)
I didn't think much of this story to begin with. The author relied too much on dialogue to set the scene. I thought a bit of explanation would have helped me adjust to his world. I thought maybe 3 stars then. But it got better - 4 stars by chapter 5, and once I was deep in, a definite 5 stars. My only regret is that I didn't buy the paperback - I still prefer paperbacks.
A great Sci-fi/detective/thriller, with a twist in Ch 18 that puts the story way above most books of this genre.
Very good indeed. Recommended - to anyone, not just to Sci-fi readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging sci-fi detective story, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Kindle Edition)
Stephen Mellor's "The Long Sleep" is a science-fiction detective novel, and combines some of the best features of those two genres.

For sci-fi fans, there are many classic genre conventions to be found: colony ships, arcologies, artificial intelligence, holographic avatars, neural jacks and virtual reality. But these are handled without resorting to impenetrable technobabble, and are presented with such a deft touch that you quickly accept them as just a part of the world in which you're being immersed.

As for the detective side of things, Kem Logan is a classic private dick in the Chandler mode, right down to the sassy, drop dead gorgeous secretary (even if she does happen to be an AI). More importantly though, Mellor doesn't fall into the trap of thinking that "hard-boiled" or "noir" necessarily has to equal a hostile and unpleasant protagonist. If anything, the central characters of "The Long Sleep" are nuanced, believable and likeable. Apart from the villains of the piece, obviously -- those characters are just as twisted and irredeemable as you would want them to be.

The plot is engaging and contains some great twists, working in genuinely unexpected plot elements (themes of gender identity playing a surprising part in the story). Perhaps most significantly, the writer's style is engaging, making this one of those books where you always want to read just one more chapter to find out what happens next.

An enjoyable read with a highly satisfactory denouement and conclusion, "The Long Sleep" tells a tight, compelling story and is an excellent addition to the field of sci-fi/crime novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining and enjoyable read., 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Kindle Edition)
Wow! Very exciting. Literally starts with a bang, and then keeps on going. Mellor does a great job of mixing old-school detective mystery and intrigue with the futuristic scifi elements (even with some gender politics thrown in to boot). The world of scifi could use a few more good detectives. The twists and turns kept the pages turning (with some nifty surprises), and it was over all too quickly. This was a very fast read - something I like.

A very entertaining and enjoyable read. I'll definitely pick up Stephen Mellor's next book.

The Long Sleep
The Long Sleep by Stephen Mellor (Paperback - 19 May 2012)
5.61