5.0 out of 5 stars Great advanced book
Published 18 months ago by Jmmy Floyd

1.0 out of 5 stars not great
I found myself reading up a lot more on the internet now. It missed a lot of content including how to do comments, which is surely highly relevant if your coding a blog?
Published 8 months ago by Dominic Francis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advanced book, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Building WordPress Themes from Scratch (Paperback)
This is a fantastic, hands on book about theme development in WordPress. I brought primarily to read the Custom Post Types section, which is one of best parts of the book. However the opening chapters where Joe walks you through converting from Photoshop to HTML, CSS are also great as it gives you a window in to industry standard techniques. For anyone looking to build there on Theme Framework to use as a base for future projects I highly recommend this book. I should add as well that Joe has a clear and concise writing style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, nothing more, nothing less., 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Building WordPress Themes from Scratch (Paperback)
I bought this book because I wanted a quick insight into wordpress themes. No long laboured introductions of 100 pages before you do anything, just straight in with a worked example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically written guide, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Building WordPress Themes from Scratch (Paperback)
Don't let the small page size fool you, this is and excellent introduction to WordPress. If gets straight down to the point and got me flying straight away. My advice is read this book first and it will give you do much understanding because it is written and organised so well. Then go on to read other WordPress books and try it out too. One of the best technical teaching books I have ever read. It teaches l the major concepts whilst being easy to read and understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A god send, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Building WordPress Themes from Scratch (Paperback)
I needed to have a decent understanding of Wordpress development in a very short space of time, so I grabbed this book and got through it within a few hours. I now come away with good knowledge of the WP framework and constantly refer to the book during development. Thoroughly recommended to the first time Wordpress dev or as an off the shelf reference guide.

1.0 out of 5 stars not great, 2 Feb 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: Building WordPress Themes from Scratch (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the first half of the book but the author spends way too much time on custom post types.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the beginner, 31 Oct 2012
John (Wigan, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building WordPress Themes from Scratch (Paperback)
I have just recieved this book and it assumes you know a hell of a lot with regards to web technology (HTML, CSS, SQL etc) and some programming skills. I should have done more research on the book before ordering so I blame myself.

I have now ordered two books aimed at the novice and I am sure that in time this book will be of use, but for now its just going to gather dust.

The book is rather short with only 150 or so pages but does offer a free option to get the PDF which I will do and also some samples you can download. I think the design / layout of the book is rather poor as the quality of the screen shots and illustrations could be much better and its obvious that shortcuts have been taken. The book has a thrown together look and feel and comes across as being "cheap".

Maybe in time I will update the review.

Building WordPress Themes from Scratch
Building WordPress Themes from Scratch by Joe Casabona (Paperback - 18 May 2012)
Used & New from: £33.99