on 27 January 2012
N A Roy has successfully captured both the mystery of the scottish highlands and the imagination in her modern day twist on the Sword in the Stone. Her natural story telling style draws you in from the outset; I loved being in the world she created and thoroughly enjoyed the imagery she conjured up. I would recommend this book for readers of all ages who want to open their mind to an adventure thats not quite what you expect.
on 11 June 2013
I was not too sure what to make of this slim volume when it arrived, but I soon settled in for what turned out to be a very good read indeed. It helped that I was familiar with the Gaelic mythology (both Irish and Scottish) which this story draws upon, but even without it there was enough information in the book to pick up the details.

The hero of the story is sixteen, with a thirteen year old brother. Both are dragged across to Scotland from California by their mother, who was born in the Highlands and wants to reconnect with her family (among other things).

I loved the way that (early in the book) we are presented with the "typical" Highlands, grey and under constant rainfall and a real downer for two Californian boys, then a few days later the sun comes out and reveals a cheery Ullapool, bright and vivid in the sunshine. I know and love the Highlands, and for the occasional visitor it can seem as if it does nothing but rain, but a few days of sunshine can reveal a completely different place.

I suppose that this should be considered as a YA book, although the tone of the book is such that it could be read by younger readers and as an adult I did not feel that I was in any way excluded from the book, so it is a good all rounder.

The world of the sidhe is well presented and they are shown to be suspicious, contrary, full of doubts, yet at the same time they are well meaning, loyal and supportive. In general they are neither morally superior or inferior to humans, nor much different in appearance. They have sickness and arthritis and appear to be mortal. The chief difference seems to be that they have magic.

I am looking forward to the next installment, The Island of the Mist
on 4 March 2012
I was completely hooked from start to finish, I couldn't put book down, I just had to keep on reading till the end, yet at the same time I wanted the story to go on and on and on. I cannot wait for the next one.
Well done N A ROY on a fantastic story thats not just for children but adults as well, you're a natural born story teller.
on 30 March 2012
I really enjoyed N A Roy's first book. It was a very exciting teen fantasy adventure story, with lots of twists and turns, which kept it fast-paced and the plot moving. I loved the character of Charlie, our brave boy hero. Looking forward to similar fantasy stories from this author in the future.
on 28 February 2012
I really enjoyed this book and it kept me gripped right to the end. Many surprising turns in the story. I love the style of writing and NA Roy's take on Highland folklore. I am looking forward to her next book.
on 2 November 2012
A great modern take on Scottish folklore, The Stone in the Sword is a very good and easy read which appeals beyond its original target audience of older children and young teenage readers.

N A Roy has created a fascinating world and engaging characters with whom the reader can instantly connect and become invested in.

The writing style is conversational and, because it was written with younger readers in mind, it is easy to read. However, N A Roy has managed to do this without dumbing down or being patronising or talking down to the younger audience.

Overall, a great story by a fantastic new straight-up story teller. I can't wait for N A Roy to publish the second book in her new Kingslayer series.

I'd recommend The Stone in The Sword to readers of all ages! :)
on 4 May 2015
This is a great story full of Scottish mythology, but at the same time it has a realness to it. It’s very enjoyable. This book would suit a YA or adult audience. Once you start reading you won’t want to stop until you have finished it.
on 30 August 2013
I couldn't actually bring myself to finish this. OK so it's aimed at children (I'm guessing??) and I'm not a child but even so. So many plot holes and leaps in the story that leave you flicking back thinking you've missed a section or something. I wouldn't recommend it to my 9 year old.