Wallbanger (Cocktail 1)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£9.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 October 2013
Clearly I'm on my own here judging by the rave reviews but I don't see what the fuss is about - there is nothing special about this book, nothing that sets it apart from any other chick-lit book currently on the market. So where does the appeal lie? In the characters and their chemistry? Er, no. Not by a long shot. In the secondary characters, then? The heroine's friends are pointless and you've seen and read about them before on Sex and the City (which did it better) and any other chick-lit book out there. We see the heroine meeting up every other page with the gals for breakfast sessions where they indulge in men related chit-chat and the like. Contrived.

Ok, so maybe the selling point is the heroine herself? But no, because her career/work-like and boss are SO boring. She just came across as very unrelatable to me especially when the hero, an international photographer, invites her overseas and she says yes just like that.

Ok, I'll grant that this book has a few amusing moments but that wasn't enough to set this book apart, make it a great read.

The plot is wearying. I love chick-lits, I love romance. I know that predictable is the main ingredient but just so long as the writing is good and the main characters even better, I'm happy. But this was snooze-worthy and so unoriginal. The H and h are neighbours so we have many scenes with them having dinner together or running into one another as they come and go. The most contrived part of all, though, is when the heroine's friends and the hero's friends all go up to a holiday house where there's hot-tubbing and truth or dare and drinking. It was just way too cliched.

So the heroine is bland, maybe there's hope with the hero? Ok, I'll grant the book this, I liked that he was unashamed in his manslutednesss: a man who enjoys sleeping around and playing the field but who is totally honest with his conquests. Nothing wrong with that, guess it's nice to read about an unashamed manslut for once. But what annoyed me was, here we have this hero who is enjoying various women and when it comes to him and the heroine, of the inevitable him-falling-for-her, I just didn't buy it or him as a romantic lead, not in the way the author intended. It just felt a bit icky to me, to be honest. Yes, he was hot, and yes he had his little tugs at the heartstrings story line that was supposed to make him sweet and sensitive but all I took from this book was that he was a man who enjoyed his lusty sex with various woman but and then did a quick 180 when it came to the unremarkable heroine. Why, though? I just didn't care about the H and h. When they got at the end together? I couldn't care less.

The author's Redhead series is far superior, so maybe my expectations were too high. This book was absolutely forgettable and contrived. It says a lot that Clayton's other book with a hero who's a celebrity - a very hard thing to pull off in a book without coming off as corny and unbelievable - had characters that were more 'real' than this book.
on 28 April 2013
Well this book was a RIOT! A perfect lighthearted standalone read that is sure to raise a few laughs. Perfect for cat lovers. ;)

4Stars.

Review to follow.

BOOK REVIEW - Wallbanger - Alice Clayton

Wallbanger is the ultimate boy meets girl next door romance story but with a refreshing twist. It's fun, light-hearted, while delivering more than a few laugh out loud comedy moments. Caroline's narrative is modern, witty and fresh. But there is one added bonus, and that is Clive the Cat. Yes... you did read that right! That animated but somewhat naughty feline somehow managed to retain his castrated balls, making this book an absolute riot!

The only activity that Caroline Reynolds new apartment sees is that of her KitchenAid appliance when making Zucchini Bread. There is no lover to attend to her needs, but what's the point, when there is no `O'? Cory Weinstein ruined her for other men, and not in a good way - that machine-gun F-er stole her `O' and she hasn't been able to locate that elusive biatch ever since.

Simon Parker resides in the apartment next door. He is getting lots of action. In-fact his bed gets it own weekly scheduled workout all by itself as does the connecting wall.

Sleepless nights caused by Simon's famous `harem of three,' Caroline is feeling the pressure. With a demanding design career(not decorator), she finally blows a gasket and charges next door in the early hours to confront the man-whore next door - dressed in nothing but a pink nighty as first impressions play second fiddle to a woman on the edge as she tells her new neighbour exactly what she thinks of him.

From here on out, Caroline is known as `Pink Nighty Girl' and 'Cockblocker,' while Simon's new identity is that of `Wallbanger.'

When it comes to light that Simon is in fact good friends with Caroline's Boss, she makes an effort to get to know `Wallbanger,' as they both agree to a neighbourly truce. But things take a turn when a truce turns to friendship as they both come to realise they have more in common than originally thought.

Yes, this is an easy read. Don't expect angst in this one ladies, if I were to label it's genre I would stick it in the chick-lit pile - but, that is nothing to be ashamed of! This book delivers in a big way. Caroline is a fantastic heroine and Simon has many of his own redeeming qualities. In-fact, he is highly loveable and the banter between all the characters is magic. Alice Clayton is a master at dialogue, and she definitely woo'd me. So much so in-fact, I am looking forward to jumping on her Redhead Series soon, because I enjoyed her comedic writing style as it delivered some epic one-liners. Oh, and the sex scenes were pretty hot too. :D

A job well done.

4-Stars.
on 25 February 2013
I ordered this book after reading some of the great reviews from others. I have to say THANK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE WHO DERSERVIDLEY GAVE THIS BOOK FIVE STARS! To those who didn't - REALLY WHAT PLANET DO YOU LIVE ON!! This has to be the funniest book I have ever read! I laughed so loud I had tears running down my face! The writing is so funny it is brilliant! I could imagine this as a film - actually someone should make it into a film. The Cat and its antics are absolutely hilarious! The two main characters are brilliant - and without spoiling the events in the book, there is such chemistry between them and they are frustrating, funny, humorous and sexy! Well written, I stayed up and read this in one go! I couldn't put it down..... So ,if you want a book that will lift you, make you laugh out loud and have your kids and family wonder what on earth you are reading and give you a big lift in terms of making you smile - this is def the book to buy! I have to say this is the best book I have read in a while - and I read a great deal!!! So those of you who have given it a lower star rating - just speechless! Those who like me; and there is more of us; who have given it a well deserved FIVE star rating - well I agree with ALL of your comments! :)
on 13 January 2013
I was won over by this book with the favourable feedback but sadly I am not team Wallbanger.

It started of ok with me intrigued to read where the story will go but when half way though the book the excitement just wears off it just becoming tiring and boring...... The flirting between the main leads just seemed to o on forever before they moved into 2nd gear. I did like the humour the book offered and they lively cat named Clive but after reading some amazing books this just did not compare plus the ending was dull as dish water.

I recommend : Gabriel's inferno, The MIghty Storm, Edge of never, The proposition, THis Man, Perfect Game, Almost, Unsticky and The Charade
on 22 March 2013
Well, I was late to this party, my apologies Simon Wallbanger, I thought it might be a load of hype and I've watched the price for this event rise but thence came a reading lull and I bought into it!

What a brilliant, witty (embarassingly lol - beware if reading in public), sexy, lovely, endearing story.

I won't give any spoilers, suffice it to say our lovely leading lady is adorable, your Dad, brother, husband, children, priest, pimp will love her, our leading man is hot, cute, virile, athletic (vertical wall action and wall movement), charming and did I say hot? They live in neighbouring apartments and are introduced via the bedroom wall.

Let's not forget the main, dominant, alpha stud in this tale - Clive. OMG, the perfect male.

Loved, loved, loved it!!!! Well worth all the amazing reviews.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
LOL what a corker of a read. Bloody hilarious in places and grin worthy in others. The scene in the apartment towards the end with Simon, Clive and Caroline had me absolutely shoulder shaking laughing it was soooo funny.

Don't expect suspense and awe inspiring revelations within these pages, just expect a real treat of journey with Caroline and her lost 'O' and her rather noisy neighbour 'Wallbanger'. Some of the situations are so funny and one had me feel me real sad. But what keeps this book up there with 5 stars in the liberal spattering of absolutely not forced comedy.

Bravo to Alice, you've done an amazing job with this book.
on 25 February 2013
I was put off this book for a while because of the title and front cover...Silly as that sounds when reading it on a kindle.... but I am still drawn by covers and thought it was just going to be sex,sex,sex...,which I know some people want, but you want a good story too!

In the end I downloaded the sample after reading the very few reviews and got totally lost in the story. I really liked the characters, their relationships and would certainly recommend this book to my family and friends. An excellent holiday romance to escape into on a sunny beach.

I guess the lesson learned is never judge a book by its cover!
on 23 August 2015
This book started off very immature for my like and continued that way a little more than the first 100 pages. So much so that at one part even the main character Caroline says "This entire conversation was beginning to sound like something that might have happened in fourth grade---except for all the nighties and the cock talk.", and the conversations between Simon and Caroline, between Caroline and her girl friends, Caroline's own comments were felt immature exactly in that way. If the characters were in their early 20s maybe it wouldn't annoy me, but since the characters are in their late 20s it was really annoying. This is why 4 stars instead of 5. Caroline was also unlikable for me me in the beginning. She was judgmental towards the women Simon has casual sex with, and kind of narcissistic with her comment "I'm not like other women." Not to say it makes the book worse, obviously we don't all need to like every character right away. It's just what I felt about her in the beginning.

The story gets better and exciting once you pass those pages. Caroline starts to get more and more likable, Simon goes from being a womanizer to being a dreamy, caring potential boyfriend. (How this would so not happen in real life, but hell, it's fiction, let's just enjoy it.) I liked the trip to Spain which added more fun to the story and since I have a big sweet tooth, not gonna lie, all the baked goods talk made everything more passionate. Sex parts were pretty hot as well. I liked how the author did not lead the story like, "Caroline has sex with Simon, and her orgasm trouble is fixed right at the first sex!" It brought a realistic approach to the story right when it was most needed, I think. Once Simon and Caroline broke the ice, their flirting was witty and fun that brought quite a few smiles on my face.

This was my first book by Alice Clayton. I will be checking out her other works.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It took me slightly longer than normal to get into this book but once I was there I was stuck :) I remember when Wallbanger came out and so many bloggers reviewed this book saying how hilarious the main character Caroline was – and they were definitely spot on.

Caroline is our heroine and it took a while for her to grow on me. At first her outrageous reactions – screaming, outbursts, insults – got on my nerves because they seemed really unnecessary. Really, you’re twenty-six, not fourteen. But, then we started seeing all the different sides to Caroline. It was so nice to have a single main character who doesn’t bitch and moan about their lack of love life. Caroline is happy on her own and knows that while she would love to meet someone and have a relationship, she’s equally content with her life as it is. Brownie points to Alice Clayton! I mentioned bloggers commenting on Caroline’s humour and oh boy is it there :) She’s flirty, sarcastic, and downright funny, which led to a hell of a lot of great banter between her and Simon.

As for Simon, like Caroline my first impression of him wasn’t stellar. The first few times we see Simon he seems slightly arrogant and annoying but once we get to know him… He. Is. Awesome! Simon is just as flirty and snarky as Caroline and this leads to them becoming really good friends. And honestly, that is the best part about Wallbanger: Simon and Caroline’s friendship. They have fun together, help each other out, and are SO sweet together! Aagh, I honestly can’t explain how cute they are together as friends (and eventually as a couple) – just read the book :D

Also, it take the majority of the book for Simon and Caroline to move beyond a platonic relationship. Don’t get me wrong, there is most definitely a lot of sexual tension between them (did you miss the part about the flirting??) but the way Alice Clayton builds their relationship up slowly created this slow-burn romance that you knew was going to be based on genuine feelings, not just lust.

All in all I am so glad I picked up Wallbanger! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will be checking out the Caroline and Simon’s sequel :)

Adult
4 stars
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this book after seeing it reviewed on a couple of my favourite sites. They loved it, the blurb sounded fun, and it was just before finals, so I needed something to cheer me up. It certainly did that. Let me just say, I'm glad my roommate wasn't around, because I was giggling out loud so many times reading this story. I think I tweeted a lot about it too while I read - it really is one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. But more than just a funny story, Alice Clayton has given us great characters and a believable plot.

Caroline has just moved in to a new apartment but is horrified to be woken up the first night by banging from her neighbour through the wall, and the awkward accompanying noises of sex. She does the normal response and pulls a pillow over her head, but after three nights of hearing her neighbour having sex, with a different woman each time, something snaps, and we get the hallway encounter mentioned above. At a housewarming soon after, they discover mutual friends, and form a truce. Truce turns to friendship, and gradually friendship leads to something more.

This isn't just a story about Simon and Caroline, though. Simon & his two best friends fall into a firm friendship group with Carolina and her friends. It was very funny seeing Simon and Caroline working together to try to match-make their friends. Another character I enjoyed seeing was Caroline's boss. All the characters seem fully fledged, as though they are real people I might meet on the street, or (more likely) in bar.

Although the story is told from Caroline's point of view, there are occasional interludes where we see texts between characters, which gave an interesting look at how Simon was feeling, and his thoughts on Caroline.

I can't talk enough about how funny this book was. I really was laughing out loud as I read. A rich contemporary romance, Alice Clayton's 'Wallbanger' is a hilarious frienemys-to-lovers story. If you need a story to cheer you up, I would point you to this one.

I will give this book 9 stars.
~Ailsa [Originally posted by me at my book review blog - link is in my profile]