5.0 out of 5 stars Faye strikes back, 19 Aug. 2013
Patrick Mullane (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the final part of a trilogy set,Grimnoir Chronicles, in an alternative 1930s, where various forms of magic are real. There are numerous cameos by historical figures and the political setting mirrors somewhat the social environment of the time, plus magic eating space entities. There is a heavy emphasis on a rapid fire plot and the use and overuse of superior firepower. The ending ties up the series but does not close the door on that particular author's universe.

While it does not have the same lighter touch as the author's "Monster Hunter Universe", it still provides excellent pulp fare - especially with Raymond Chandler as a character.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third volume but can be read as a stand alone novel, 18 May 2014
I read this because it was nominated for the 2014 Hugo awards. I was initially a bit reluctant because it was the third volume in a trilogy, but delighted to find that it works well as a standalone novel. Events from the previous books are neatly woven in with other backstory, so I didn't feel that I was missing vital bits of plot or character motivation.

It is a fun adventure, with magic that works rather along the lines of psychic powers in a superhero comic - teleportation, telepathy, cryokinesis, etc. The arrival of this magic in the 19th century has resulted in an alternative history where Japan has a large empire and zombies were used as troops in the first world war. That gives a nice pulp feel to the story, but the author hasn't slid into the cliché of having any or his female characters as femme fatales or tarts with a heart. I'd be up for reading more set in this universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great end to the trilogy but can't believe it's already over, 1 April 2014
I did not know going into this series that it was actually going to be a trilogy and I expect that if I had I would have felt a little different about both of the previous books. Hard Magic and Spellbound both felt like the first two books in a long running series that slowly dribbled information to the reader and set a steady pace towards an eventual conclusion. They felt like separate stories that travelled in the same direction but were otherwise not closely related other than the fact that they felt like part of a beginning of a larger story line. This is to be expected with a long running series but with a trilogy they should have felt like the beginning and middle of the over arching story.

The truth is though, that I am glad I didn’t know as I got the chance to thoroughly enjoy those books for their own merits rather than what I hoped they would be.

Going into this book I was therefore surprised when, at about the half way mark, it felt as though the story was drawing to a close. The tension was building for a climax but it felt like it was more than just a climax for a single novel and I began to realise the truth. However, that didn’t get in the way of me loving this book as much as I loved the others.

This story is successful in carrying most of the overall story arcs to a satisfying conclusion. Faye, Sullivan and the rest of the Grimnoir knights all got to realise their potential and take part in the epic final battle and the story concluded with a suitable bang for this surprisingly brilliant trilogy.

My only gripe would be that it all happened a little too fast, so fast in fact that I’m sure I’ve got whiplash. As said earlier, I had been expecting this to be just another book in a series so when the last 100 or so pages suddenly started answering question after question and bringing story arcs to an end it all felt as though it was being rushed and happening far too quickly for me. I had grown to love all the characters in this series as well as the story itself and learning that I was going to have to say goodbye to them so early was shocking.

Still, I will not complain. Whilst I would like to see the characters again and do feel that the series could have at least benefitted from expanding the ending to maybe one more book, I am happy that it went out on a high. All three stories have been fun, incredibly enjoyable and I am left with the knowledge that I will definitely be reading them again in the future.

I really can’t recommend this series highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, pity about the author, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles (Quality)) (Mass Market Paperback)
Excellent third book to presumably wrap-up this alternate history, magic meets film noir, story arc. It's on the 2014 Hugo Award short list, which has generated controversy due to American author Larry Correia's unapologetic and aggressive right wing, gun loving personal views. Whatever one might think of the author, the Grimnoir Chronicles is worth reading. Much better written than you might expect.

Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles (Quality))
Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles (Quality)) by Larry Correia (Mass Market Paperback - 3 Jun. 2014)