Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2013
This book recaptures alot of the great action, and interaction, that has become somewhat lost in the recent Honor Harrington books, as she is now so high-ranking, politics are taking a larger portion of her activities.

This book is based on her friend Vice-Admiral Henke, and her 10th Fleet, as she de-rails both the Sollies & Mensa plans.
on 2 April 2013
Which pretty much sums it up for me. It's not quite as irritating as some recent books in pagecount of villains doubletalking themselves into doing stupid things or endlessly rehashing stuff the reader is already aware of - though, alas, there's still far too much of both.

The basic premise is excellent if a little out of nowhere. As well as stirring revolts in the Cluster, the Mesan Alignment is supplying arms and equipment to rebel groups on Solarian/Verge planets to make life harder for Frontier Security. The nasty part is that they're telling these rebels that they work for Manticore and that the Manticore Navy will come to help them out when push comes to shove and their rebellions kick off. So what does Mike Henke do when she discovers this - up the ante and start attacking Solarian-run worlds and Frontier Security ships to help the rebels? Or leave rebels throughout the Verge thinking Manticore has betrayed them? Okay, no prizes for the right answer, but that particular story is quite a good one for all I'd like to seen it a bit more foreshadowed elsewhere.

Of course given the Alignment expected Manticore to be effectively out of the game by this point - a point made in passing in this book - I find myself slightly puzzled why they were putting so much effort into blackening Manticore's reputation? But then I'm far from convinced the Alignment's "strategy" made any sense from the start, lengthy discussions notwithstanding!

As others have noted I could really have done without the wholesale duplication of chapters from other books. That's just laziness, Weber. If you feel you absolutely have to repeat description of an event to avoid confusing people who haven't read other books - though I think it may be several volumes too late for that! - then at least have the courtesy to change things so we get a slightly different 'take' on the events.

I can also only second the pleas for Weber to get a decent editor. Firstly to trim down the redundant conversations; secondly to have someone check his books before shipping them [I think every one of his recent books has had an obvious error, this one's being IIRC the weight of the Roland class is out by a factor of a thousand); and thirdly to stomp hard on some of his cliches. I swear if I read one more time that "the Admiralty aren't picking commanders of X out of a hat"...

All of which said, I did enjoy it, probably about as much as I hoped to, certainly more than I feared I might from some of the other reviews. It's just so frustrating that someone who writes such good characters and such good action also keeps writing so much infuriating and irrelevant padding-out with talking heads.
on 26 May 2013
What can I say but when can I get my hands on the next volume in the series, either with Honor herself or Mike Henke et al David Weber writes a brilliant adnventure stories no matter which series they belong to nad I am always impatiant for the next book, so please hurry up and write/publish the next book/s. Sorry for the family.
on 12 September 2014
Feel as if Weber is trying to juggle too much detail in this one. The back story's are becoming increasingly detailed and there are now so many the overall effect is stupefying. Basically, it begins to get tedious! Still, the Honorverse is still progressing through its storylines and hopefully, this will re-unite the themes.
on 26 April 2013
This book seems almost at a tangent for the rest of the books in the series. However I can see how it relates to the other books.

The impression given, is that this book will act as a trigger for the next book in the series in which I hope that all strands will be combined.
on 25 May 2014
The story is a good continuation you can see where all the strands in the honourverse are going to meet. However the formatting awful, seems they have just dumped a text file and said make this a kindle file. I have freebies from baen books with proper chapters indexes and such.
on 13 July 2013
although this is put out as a part of the Honour Harrington series it concentrates on events away from the main story line and unfortunately does not seem to push the main story along. In itself a good story but not a Central part of the Honour Harrington story .
on 11 March 2013
As the action from Thunder echoes in the background, 10th Fleet sets out to neutralise the threat from Frontier Security in the Myers sector. Gripping stuff. Weber's net is thrown ever wider over the Honorverse.
on 11 May 2013
The expanse of the Honorverse gets bigger and better . This satisfied my need for a short while but I need to know what is happening back at the barn or is it now barns . I'mready for the next one now .
on 22 November 2014
Sleuthing on a grand scale enables the baddies to be winkled out after bedlam in the boondocks! A great and important addition to the Saga that may, sometime soon, 'give peace a chance'!
Harast