5.0 out of 5 stars I did NAAAHT expect it to be so amazing
Published 14 months ago by Gareth Paterson

3.0 out of 5 stars great book, arrived on time but the pages are ...
great book, arrived on time but the pages are all frayed on the edges instead of cut straight. its rather strange...
Published 3 months ago by Ciara Hickey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I did NAAAHT expect it to be so amazing, 4 Feb. 2014
As if that movie couldn't get funnier, hearing Sestero's anecdotes on the nightmare shoot add a context that make scenes even more ridiculous. The book's narrative has two sections that it switches back and forth to: Sestero's life before, during and after meeting and sharing an apartment with Tommy Wiseau AND the story of the Room's production. The pace is brilliant. You won't want to put it down. The book gives insight into the enigma that is Tommy Wiseau, where he (possibly) came from and how he lives his life (which is even more insane than you'd think. For one thing he thinks he's a vampire.) The surprising thing about this book is that even with it's (frequent) laugh out loud moments, by the end it becomes very moving. I did not expect to tear up reading the final page, but I did. One of the best books I've read. And no I am not Tommy Wiseau don't even ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars "You can laugh, you can cry, just don't hurt each other" - Tommy Wiseau, 18 Dec. 2013
I was seriously impressed by this book. I'll admit that based on what I knew about Greg Sestero before, that he was a pretty actor in a terrible/wonderful film and nothing else I'd heard of, that I had found the idea of him writing a book to be absolutely hilarious. But I'm so glad he did.

Sestero and Bissell present a refreshing, hilarious and poignant view of the young actor's struggles and an extremely candid story of the making of The Room. I'd expect anyone who knows the film relatively well to enjoy it just as much as I did - to be entertained, moved, shocked and to be content with the mystery that Tommy Wiseau's life.

It's good to see Greg Sestero as the star of the show, of sorts. The book is bloody brilliant. Order it for someone special. Then ask if they want it. Then declare you already ordered it. You think of everything! And, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You look so sexy book., 5 Nov. 2013
If you have any love for "The Room" or Tommy Wiseau, buy this book. It is without a doubt one of the most amazing things I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ha, ha, ha! What a story, Mark!, 2 Mar. 2014
THE ROOM truly is 'the CITIZEN KANE of bad movies'. A movie SO awful, IT has to be seen to be believed. What was intended to be a melodrama about a happy-go-lucky businessman, Johnny, who begins to suspect that his fiancee, Lisa, is having an affair (with his best friend, Mark), has now been labelled a 'black comedy' by Tommy Wiseau, who not only played Johnny, but was also the director, writer, producer and executive producer!!!! In the years following it's disastrous original release, THE ROOM has rightfully earned it's reputation as a 'cult classic', and at least, it wasn't made by a big Hollywood studio and featured famous movie stars (like for example, MOVIE 43 [2013], which is described as SO awful, it's AWFUL).

Playing Mark in THE ROOM is Greg Sestero, who is also Tommy's actual friend. Alongside Tom Bissell, Greg has written this excellent book which gives you an insight into what went into the making of the film, and also how Greg first met Tommy, and what convinced Tommy to make his 'masterpiece'. The film was in production for six months, and it wasn't all plain sailing: The behind-the-scenes crew had a difficult time dealing with Tommy's directorial styles.

There are so many memorable tidbits of information that this book gives. One of the film's infamous moments was when Johnny comes onto the rooftop, angrily complaining that he did not hit Lisa and throwing his bottle of water, only to go into a pleasant chit-chat of seeing Mark ('Oh, Hi Mark'). According to this book, it took thirty-two takes and three hours to do those seven seconds that has entered cinema history (for all the wrong reasons). I am not making this up!

So, if you loved THE ROOM for all of the wrong reasons, then you'll certainly love THE DISASTER ARTIST for all of the right reasons! Let's go and eat, Huh!

Reviewer: Ben David W

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 16 Jan. 2014
I don't usually write reviews, but this book was so brilliantly written I was energised to give my tuppence-worth. 'The Room' itself is a uniquely memorable U.S. cinematic oddity that gives rise to many questions concerning its plot, its background and its production. This truly compelling chronicle of the making of 'The Room' at last sheds light on its mysteries, also revealing many fascinating aspects of its enigmatic mastermind Tommy Wiseau. All this is enveloped in the engaging story of Wiseau and Sestero's friendship which has many extraordinary twists and turns.

It is also interesting to learn of the existence of extensive behind-the-scenes footage shot during the making of 'The Room'. One wonders whether this footage will ever be made into a documentary in its own right (or maybe there could be a film based on this book). It would be profoundly interesting to see, potentially drawing strong parallels with the 1968 William Greaves film 'Symbiopsychotaxiplasm' (that I would implore any fans of 'The Room' to investigate) in which the director baffles his actors and crew with difficult/angular dialogue and eccentric interventions, resulting in spontaneous dramatic by-products.

Sestero and Tom Bissell (and, by turn, Wiseau too) should be congratulated on all this - a terrific read. It should go without saying that to anybody acquainted with 'The Room' this book is a must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 12 Mar. 2014
I wasn't expecting so much heart, wit and depth in a book from one of the actors in The Room. If you have been amused by "oh hi, Mark" clips on Youtube you need to buy this book. Greg Sestero deserves all the good things in the world for what he put up with.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fascinating book I've read..., 1 Aug. 2014
As an animator, aspiring film-maker and of course big ole' movie fan, I had to watch "The Room". Needless to say I was in tears throughout the whole experience yet part of me was intrigued at the prospect of the movie and how such a beautiful abomination could unfold on screen. After doing relevent Internet research, I realised I would find most of my answers in this book, and WOW it is TEARING ME APART. Brilliant writing, funny, twisted and even sad to a point, Greg Sestero (Mark from the movie) has written a highly detailed account of his experience in The Room, with Tommy and generally wanting to become an actor. I was hooked from start to finish, it's a little pricey at £15 considering it's length, but it was £15 well spent in my opinion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for any film geek, 11 Dec. 2013
I bought this as a birthday present for a friend who is madly into film, this "Masterpiece" in particular. It's wacky in the way you'd expect from anything to do with the travesty that is "The Room", but at the same time it's a little sobering to know the story behind the film, and the mad lengths Weisau went to in order to make this. Apart from this, delivery was prompt and efficient, would recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!, 20 Jan. 2014
Jack (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a few weeks ago and have just finished it. I got this book because I am a fan of the cult film The Room, I had heard many good things about this book so I thought would check it out. All I can say is wow! I loved this book I could not get enough! It made me laugh in public awkwardly and it brought a tear to my eye. I recommend this book to anybody even if you haven't seen the film itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than I expected, 15 Jan. 2014
The Disaster Artist exceeded my expectations by far. What I expected was a wacky-funny story about the production of the Room and Tommy Wiseau. What I got, included parts of this, but also an interesting story of a struggling young actor, his odd friendship with Wiseau and the director himself. If you've seen The Room, I strongly advise you to read this book. In a word: Huh, what a story, Greg.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›