4.0 out of 5 stars A solid foundation to work on (contains spoilers)
'Revelations and Dust' is, in a way, 2 books in one; it serves as the first novel in 'The Fall' series and also as another launch platform for DS9.
Published 21 months ago by Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but entertaining.
Published 22 months ago by Joel Featherstone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but entertaining., 30 Aug. 2013
I have eagerly awaited this book since it was announced and when I finally got around to reading it (Very early. Thank you, Amazon!) I was somewhat disappointed, but not as much as some people seem to be. In many ways it's appropriate that a few early chapters take so much from the DS9 pilot, "Emissary", because it comes across a lot like a weaker pilot episode for a new series. I later went back and re-assessed "Emissary" more favourably, so I am curious if I will do the same once The Fall gets into full swing, because it seems like a lot of set up for the rest of the series. The new DS9 crew from the last few books are back, but we are still getting to know them, many just being names without much of a personality at this point. The story can stand alone, but it wants you to come back for the next part.

The focus of the book shifts between two main plot threads, switching back and forth between chapters as David R. George III has frequently done with his books in the past and has often helped to keep my interest in each story. In this case however one of them feels much weaker, and whilst I eventually understood its purpose, I still found myself wanting to rush through those chapters and get back to the main action. I wouldn't say you could completely remove them and still have the same story, but a lot of it could have been trimmed down without anyone missing it too much.

It's not all bad though, the memorial scenes early on were important after the previous story and it was nice to have so many familiar faces brought back. Also, I still enjoy the author's style of writing, which manages to keep me reading during the less frantic moments and his descriptions of the new station really helped to draw me into it. There's a moment later on that the book had clearly been building towards, and was fairly obvious to predict going in, but still hits you hard when it happens.

Overall I would say it was good, but it could have been so much more. I would recommend it, so long as you understand it is clearly a beginning to something larger.

One more minor issue is something I've noticed several times in the author's books and pops up again here. He occasionally makes reference to future moments in the book, saying things like "She would realise 2 days from now how wrong she had been" or "All that would change when he saw (tragic event)". It's not terrible, it can just be a little jarring and sometimes spoils what could be more shocking if he hadn't said anything.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best...but necessary reading, 4 Oct. 2013
This is the first novel in a mini-series of, I believe, five stories which follow on from the events of the Typhon Pact stories “Plagues of Night” and “Raise the Dawn” by the same author and I think it is almost essential to have read these beforehand, otherwise you are in for a big shock from the outset once you learn what has happened. Certain characters have gone (or have they…?) some old ones are back and other, newer ones get a bit more fleshing out and are given greater prominence.
It deals primarily with the opening of the new DS9 and does spend some time providing physical descriptions of the space station and its new facilities (what..? a Park..? on a space station..?) but actually I found this to be quite helpful as I like to visualise as I read, so a bit of a routemap was useful. With regards to the story itself, other reviewers have commented that it’s really a bit of a re-hash of “The Emissary” and, to a point, I concur with that, but there is more than that. I will admit here that sometimes I find storylines dealing with The Prophets to be a bit confusing and that was unfortunately the case here. I know they are meant to exist in non-linear time, so presumably they can experience the past, present and future simultaneously, but having the secondary storyline (which featured completely new characters and was, I assume, set in Bajor’s past) interacting with some of our present-day characters did nothing to enlighten me. It did however serve to make Sisko’s existence clearer and put a smile on his face, at least for a while, while at the same time raising some interesting queries about another family member.
There is very little action as such, but one momentous occurrence which will undoubtedly have ramifications for the whole of the mini-series and probably beyond. I won’t spoil things by giving details, but will admit that I was really rather saddened when it did happen. If the author’s intention was to destabilise the status quo for the future, then I think he has succeeded rather well. The effect of all the strands of this story is, as others have said, to set up changes for subsequent novels, so as an individual story in its own right its merely ok (hence my star rating), but as a game-changer for what may come after, it works well. I await with interest….

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid foundation to work on (contains spoilers), 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Fall: Revelations and Dust (Star Trek) (Mass Market Paperback)
Plot in a nutshell; Two years after the destruction of the original Deep Space Nine, the new station is about to go operational, leaders from across the quadrant have gathered for the dedication ceremony, when an act of terrorism threatens to shatter the fragile peace of the Alpha Quadrant.
I'm going to start with the negatives of this book. The entire Kira sub-plot of this book is really a chore to get through. It begins with Kira (lost in the wormhole after the events of 'Plagues of Night' and 'Raise the Dawn') and shows her bearing witness to Benjamin Sisko's first encounter with the Prophets/wormhole aliens. This is basically just an excuse to recycle large portions of 'Emissary' (the DS9 pilot episode). This is a waste for several reasons; 1) 'Emissary' is one of the weakest pilot episodes in the Trek franchise (a shame considering the strength of DS9 as a whole) and 2) I really don't care for the character route the writers have picked for Kira. Between 'The Soul Key' (the last of the 2nd wave of DS9 stories to really focus on the continuing DS9 universe) and the return of the characters in the 'Typhon Pact' series; Kira has gone from commanding officer of the station to a Vedek and we are never really given an adequate explanation for this change. As such, the continuation of this story arc bored me silly to the point where I considered skipping these chapters entirely (for the record, I didn't). Another downside with this book was the even on which the series seems destined to hinge upon. The assassination of ??? (well, I have to leave you some surprises, don't I?) is entirely too obvious.
On to the positives of this book. I like the current line of the DS9 crew; I like that they have bought Chief O'Brien back and I love Ro Laren as station commander. She was a great character in 'The Next Generation' who I always felt was under-used. Bringing her back in the DS9 novels was a brilliant move (even if I do find her relationship with Quark to be... odd). With luck, we'll get more DS9 novels and they can continue on with this new version of DS9 and its crew.
David Mack has done an excellent job with the established characters (those we know from the shows) and when Ro says something or Sisko takes action it feels like something we would have seen Michelle Forbes or Avery Brooks doing whilst playing those characters. While the Kira sub-plot does drag this book down slightly, 'Revelations and Dust' is a solid start to the new set and I look forward to seeing how the next four authors continue the series

1.0 out of 5 stars So long a wait,so little reward., 28 Aug. 2013
If I had wished to 're read the emissary I would have! This book was exposition on top of interminable inaction.the dialogue between characters was forced .I just found the kira sub plot dull and ended up skipping it entirely.after all the good work of the last books I hope this is an aberration.

2.0 out of 5 stars A beginning..., 28 Aug. 2013
And a long one. Whilst it's nice to see certain characters reunited, the two year gap between this and the previous group of stories is all told in brief exposition, and mixed in with what is very clearly a pilot for the new deep space 9. All of this means that nothing fundamentally happens action wise for 60 percent of the book, and that includes a literal retelling of part of the story of 'Emissary'. The B plot involving what may or may not be Bajors past doesn't manage to do much to carry the first half of the book, even though thematically it is very much in keeping with Ds9 in both its television and literary forms. Sadly though, the last third of the book doesn't so much tell a story as set you up for the next book, leaving you with something that whilst it feels like a new pilot episode, doesn't leave you feeling like a story has been told. Character moments themselves also occasionally feel either forced to make you value seeing the characters together on the page again, or to set up obvious future events. The only big twists actually come two pages before the end, but otherwise in some respects, though enjoyable as a ds9 fan, it feels like emissary version 2.0, making it something like ds9' s third ' new' pilot. To get the most out of it, familiarity with the tv show and certainly the previous novel relaunch is a good idea, but there is so much exposition regarding the new station that its not too bad a place to star for new readers. As an old reader though, I feel mildly cheated out of the two years we have skipped ahead, and frustrated that certain threads have not been resolved, and mildly...sad...that there wasn't a big story in here. It feels like an episode, which is a good thing, but it feels like part one of a three part arc. I will be returning for the next book, and no doubt the next ones after that, simply to get the story and enjoy the episodes. But I think a lesson should have been learnt from cold equations, in that each book should also have its own story. Speaking of which, that ended on a set up for things to come, and we will again have jumped two years next time we meet the Tng crew. Whilst I understand the desire for clarity for new readers, I am not sure the two year jump was a wise editorial decision. Final note on this book...long term readers will maybe figure out directions for the future just from the blurbs. I am hopeful for what appears to be a nice 'series' to this year's books, but this year, would like some resolution. You may also want to make that implied love triangle either more obvious or less obvious. Editors and fellow readers know who I speak of I am sure. And I am in camp spots, and hang the consequences.

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite part 1 of..., 3 Jan. 2014
It's definitely worth a read, but if I am honest with you, they take so long painting the picture, there isn't a lot of time to marvel at the beauty. I just felt they spent 9 chapters building it up the act 2 finale, then they rush act 3.

Still a good book, even though I found the Kira storyline a bit of a bore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting beginning, 31 Dec. 2013
I downloaded this book onto my kindle and have a love for Star Trek novels. The book is effecitvely split into two seperate stories that run beside each other throughout. In my opinion it took a while to get to the interesting part of one of the stories but it was worth persevering with. It is reasonably well written and has definitely hooked me into this Five part story arch. Already downloaded the other 4 and hastily reading them. The price is more than fair as well. Would recommend to any Star Trek fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star trek, 26 Dec. 2013
relly good read , sad to here about the old DS9 station but it draws upon what the new station is like and what its hopes are for

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Treking, 20 Dec. 2013
I enjoyed this book as to date I have only seen the TV Shows. Now I can keep up with even more episodes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, 18 Oct. 2013
This book focuses on the rebirth of Deep Space Nine and a time for celebration but the key event that takes place left me shocked and with strange feeling of melancholy. Never has a fictional event like this had quite such an effect and that is a testimony to not only this author but to previous authors who have helped craft this character.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Fall: Revelations and Dust (Star Trek)
The Fall: Revelations and Dust (Star Trek) by David R., III George (Mass Market Paperback - 12 Sept. 2013)