4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 19 Dec 2013
A good read,well written account of the author's visits to some interesting locations - the author's tendency to overindulge in his neuroses can get a bit tedious but he remains likeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to take on a journey, 8 Nov 2012
Mrs. Frances Barker "Frances" (Devizes, Wilts UK) - See all my reviews
Recently took this book with me into the Moroccan desert for a 10 day trip and it was the perfect mix of travel story with reflections on life and love. Not heavy at all but the writer just has a very simple storytelling style that manages to have a lot of heart and soul in it, a very truthful way of conveying what goes on at an emotional level and how that can play out in our lives. I took loads of books on my ereader and this was the only one I read as its gave me food for the mind, heart and soul. It is basically the story of his journey to be able to commit to the woman he loves, but also about other Relationships particularly with his son and his own father and he reflects honestly and Interestingly on that father-son dynamic and how to heal it. All of this is done by simply telling his own travel stories and weaving the rest around it so it is done with a very deft touch. A really good writer, I hope he writes more in a similar vein

5.0 out of 5 stars Actor to Adventurer, 14 Dec 2013
What a fantastic book. Very well written and very descriptive of the places Andrew visited. Makes we feel that I went along for the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down (Paperback)
Decided to buy this book as i had been a fan of Andrew McCarthy's in the 80's when i was a teenager.
I had a look at the sub-title and thought it sounded intriguing, as i'd had no knowledge of the author's personal life. What a journey this book is. The descriptions of all the places the author visits are fabulous, it even made me want to go to those places with the unpronounceable names rather than my usual beach-pool holiday.
This book is well written, has fantastic detail of the places, and the inner struggle the author was having is also detailed well.
Most importantly of all, it has a great ending. Fab.

5.0 out of 5 stars A travel book to touch your heart., 24 Jun 2014
I adored this book. Firstly it arrived in excellent condition, then, when settling down to read it,I found a travel book interspersed with a love story. There is love on every page. It's a book I will never forget, and will never let go. I will most certainly read it again and again. It's written beautifully, and is a travel book to touch your heart..

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived on the expected date., 18 May 2014
I've had a little look at the book, not read it yet though. I've always been a fan of Andrew McCarthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving book, 1 Nov 2013
Like many 80s girls, I grew up with the Brat Pack films: The Breakfast Club, St Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink and all the others captured something for our generation that remains frozen in time and still has a resonance today. Of all the young actors that contributed to the period, Andrew McCarthy was my favourite - in particular I had a huge crush on Kevin Dolenz, his character in St Elmo's Fire. Kevin happened to be an aspiring writer, which takes on a new light when considering the parallel career Andrew McCarthy has carved for himself as an award winning travel writer. When I heard that "Kevin" had written a book for real, I just had to read it.

I wasn't really sure what I would find and I was very pleasantly surprised. McCarthy has obviously worked on his craft in the ten years or so he has been writing for the likes of The National Geographic and The New York Times, among others. He certainly can write and rather well.

The book is half travel log and half memoir. It recalls six journeys to very different destinations - Patagonia, the Amazon in Peru, Costa Rica, Baltimore, Vienna, Kilimanjaro - in the run up to McCarthy's wedding to his second and current wife, culminating with their wedding in Dublin. During his travels, he reflects on his past, present and future and on how he can reconcile his strong sense of independence with his desire to settle into family life. On the way, he encounters places and people he so colourfully describes and skilfully brings to life.

"The Longest Way Home" is an interesting, funny and moving account of a man's experience of himself, his relationship with the people he loves and those with whom he briefly connects during his travels. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing read, 10 Oct 2013
Having been a fan of Andrew McCarthy in my teenage years I was interested to discover he has reinvented himself as a travel writer. I was delighted to discover that not only has he visited unusual places but has a real skill in describing them to the reader while telling a very personal story of coming to terms with his need for solitude and space with his journey into marriage. He allows us to join with him in the struggle this brings against the backdrop of various places he visits on his writing travels. I can't recommend this book highly enough, well written, raw and yet tender.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 2 Sep 2013
I've always been a big fan of Andrew McCarthy since his Pretty in Pink days so couldn't wait to read this book.

A complete surprise to find out all about the real Andrew and his life so far and what led him to be a travel writer and his relationship with his wife.

A great read. Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Oh so nice to go travelling...', 28 Feb 2013
The Frank Sinatra song goes, "It's oh so nice to go travelling, the camel route to Iraq...but it's oh so nice to wander back'. The philosophy that wanderlust for some isn't necessarily all about escaping from one's real life but in order to be more comfortable within our skin and live more acceptably in ourselves alongside the roles, personas and responsibilities the world demands of us is the theme of this travelogue. The writer reflects on his angst and on the multitude of ways it is possible to be a unique husband, father, breadwinner and the importance of remaining true to oneself amidst all these demand. The book is really well written, easy and entertaining. As a travel book it doesn't give us much about the places he visits but then the book is about his own journey.Readers with an inking of awareness in themselves that travel feels not so much about escaping but about being able to free our own selves so as then to be reconciled to being all those roles and personas our domestic world requires will find the theme of this book resonates.The writer doesn't explore an answer - and the point may be that the answer, unique for us all, lies within. But the reader closes the book reassured that in feeling the way they do, they're far from alone.

The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down