on 9 June 2012
I found this an excellent guide suitable for both the novice owner looking for a well behaved house pet and the more experienced owner looking to brush up on their skills or perhaps address a specific problem area.
I particularly like the way that the book is divided into specific topics, sit, stay, fetch etc. without actually having to go through one behaviour in order to reach the next. This allows the owner to take things in what seems to them to be the appropriate order for their dog AND for themselves, or even to ignore completely those that they feel are inappropriate. My own dog for instance is never off the lead except at home, so teaching "Fetch" is not a priority.
Also very valuable is the recognition that all dogs, and indeed all owners are different so a variety of techniques are described for the various behaviours letting the owner choose those they believe to be most suitable.
There is very little that could be called new in this book but then again we have been training dogs for hundreds of years and so very little that could be called new is likely in any book. What this does though is to set out the basic principles in an easy to follow manner together with numerous practical tips on how to apply them.
If I had to voice one minor reservation it is that the book does not address perhaps the most basic of training needs i.e. toilet training, (but nor does it claim to). A complete novice owner may therefore need to purchase a second book to address a topic which can at times be very stressful for both owner & dog and which sets the tone for future relationships and training sessions. Having said that though, the basic principles described here of positive reinforcement could certainly be applied to this subject with a little thought on the owners part.
on 20 June 2015
I had been waiting for the opportunity to pass this book on and at last have the chance as my daughter has a puppy. Absolutely the best, most accessible and most practical book I have come across. Over the years I have had various dog training books – and dogs – and varying successes. I wish I had had this book at the beginning of my dog owning. Karen is so straightforward and her advice makes sense. Her explanations help - it is refreshing not just to be told what to do! And my daughter is finding it very useful too!
on 4 November 2012
I purchased this book after making the decision to re-home a dog from dogs trust. Although I had a family dog as a child, it has been a long time since I have shared a home with a four legged friend.

Our home is now installed with a small dog and countless toys. I have referred to 'The perfect companion' often and no doubt will pick it up again to remind myself how to have a happy experience. New dog has learned to 'sit' after following the methods in the book.

I will definitely be getting a sand pit and am looking forward to the day when she learns to put her toys in the box!

I would highly recommend this for new owners or anyone who wants to gain understanding of canine behaviour. I found the book to be a godsend. I read most of it before doggy came home and it really prepared me well for her arrival.
on 10 June 2012
I like to think that I have done a reasonable job with my dog. He sits, stays and goes to bed when I tell him. One thing however, is that when I take him out for a walk and let him off the lead, I usually spend the next hour trying to retrieve him.

This book has given me a different perspective and insight to the way dogs tick. After a few weeks following the suggested course of training, he now behaves himself and comes when I call him. It is both a revelation and relief to myself, and other local dog owners.

I initially brought the book in the hope it would help with just this problem, but after such success I have read the whole book and now understand so much more about the way he behaves.

The book is very well written and easy to understand and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a problem dog, or just wants to understand their companion better.
on 27 May 2012
It is a very insightful book, any dog owner, lover and anyone planning to get a dog should have this book. I highly recommend this to everyone.
on 30 August 2013
I found the training method in this book brilliant with my beagle puppy who was a real handful!! when I first got him and for many weeks! until I started the positive reward training, that's very clearly explained in this book. He truly is a different dog now, so much calmer and content.
This book is a must so you can understand how your dog actually ticks! I found it fascinating and will refer to it many times I would imagine, as there is a lot of information and interesting games for me and my dog to do together.
The author Karen Davidson absolutely knows what she is talking about!!
on 18 January 2016
I read this in preparation for the arrival of my first ever dog (I'm so excited I've stopped sleeping!). I've read a LOT of dog books recently and this was one of the best for someone just starting out. It gave clear concise instructions on how to give your dog the oh so important basic training. It was all great positive training, no dominance nonsense or dragging the puppy around and forced actions, but lots of respect, love and patience. I'm now feeling a lot more confident about my impending arrival.
on 7 December 2015
I learned a great deal reading this.
Karen breaks down the training into easy to understand chunks, making training your dog, old or young very simple.
Explaining the reasons behind certain behaviour also helps us humans understand situations from your dogs point of view, making it much easier to train or to correct unwanted behaviour.
on 16 April 2016
This in an incredible book. I have passed this on to so many dog owners. Karen is so inspiring. Everything in this book makes complete sense and I had so much fun training my dog after. It was so much easier than I thought. I could read Karen's books again and again.. She really is a talented dog trainer.
on 25 July 2013
This small book covers everything that you need to know clearly and concisely using modern positive training techniques. You probably won't need to buy another book unless you want to go on to advanced or specialist training. Excellent value for money!