Meghan is an interesting character she is not traditionally beautiful, overly smart or super kickass like the general protagonist is. She is a deep character with many problems facing her. Her life has been hard & she has to struggle with not quite fitting in everyday.
Published on 8 Jun. 2012 by SewShonaSew

2.0 out of 5 stars Generally Unimpressive
2.5 stars

Let me start by saying this is probably one of the hardest reviews I have ever written because this book just had so little impact for me. I'm not saying it was bad, in fact I remember thinking when I finished the book that I sort of liked it, but now (only a few days later) I can hardly remember anything about it, and that isn't good.

This...
Published on 9 Oct. 2012 by L. Carter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Generally Unimpressive, 9 Oct. 2012
L. Carter - See all my reviews
2.5 stars

This book is based on the Fae and Celtic mythology; it is very good in this respect, quite unique and really interesting. The characters are what let the book down, there isn't much substance to them and I felt they were under developed. The romance between the two main characters felt forced, like the author had put it in because she felt she had to rather than because that was what worked best for the book.

Also, this book is yet another case of the girl deciding she loves the guy after they have spoken about twice, and the very predictable big misunderstanding that nearly ruins everything and is caused entirely by the main character just being an idiot. Sigh.

The idea and basic storyline behind the book is good; it just needs more development for the characters and their romance, a little more action and a general polish and it could be a very good book. In my opinion it is not there yet though. Give this book a try if you like fiction based on mythology as that aspect of the book is very good.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, this has not affected my review in anyway*

4.0 out of 5 stars "It was extremely odd, but then again, I attracted odd the way flowers attract bees", 8 Jun. 2012
Characters like this almost always draw me in, i like when everything is not easy & the characters has flaws. Needless to say i liked Meghan.
I also liked her friends & family. I am looking forward to reading the next books in the series & finding out more about them.

The book is interesting & it has new aspects to a YA fantasy which make it worth a read. Meghan is 17, i would say though that younger & older people could read it as it is not too childish or too grown up. There aren't any sex/sexual scenes that would make it unsuitable for younger readers.

I enjoyed this book & i will read the follow up books for sure :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Foundling Without A Past, 8 Aug. 2014
This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

Meghan was a foundling. No one knows where she came from or why she was found naked wandering the streets in a very bad part of LA. All Meghan know is she has never fit in anywhere and no one has ever wanted to be around her for long. There is something about her that seems to frighten people especially about her eyes... Her whole life everyone has always avoided them or distanced themselves from her after looking into them. Maybe it is the strange way the seem to shift color constantly... Or maybe it is something else. She has always heard voices and sounds no one else does and seen things that cannot possibly be real... And then there are the dreams... Prophetic and recurring... Will she ever find out her origins? Will the dream ever make sense? She has a family now... The Elems ... And friends. Will she ever fit in? Be normal?

This was a unique take on Celtic legends and Fae origins. I really liked it even when I was confused about the motivations of the characters. It kept me guessing who was friend and who was foe and I found that refreshing. I truly saw this story from Meghan's point of view and experienced all the ups and downs right along with her. All the doubts, tribulations, and epiphanies were revealed through her eyes and that is rare. Usually I can figure out what is going on before the main character not with them! I can't wait to read Dolmarehn - Book Two of the Otherworld Trilogy to find out what is next for Meghan in her journey of self discovery!

This series will appeal to fantasy lovers and paranormal enthusiasts alike! It is definitely unique in its mythos and very entertaining! Leave your expectations behind and live for a while in this strange new world! It is definitely an original take on many well loved and well known Celtic legends!

***This series is suitable for mature young adult through adult readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 10 Dec. 2012
Excellent. It keeps you wondering how the heroine is going to mix normal human life with her fae life. Can't wait to see how it ends. A real page turner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good story, badly written., 31 Jan. 2015
The basics for a great book are here, but for the main characters to fall in deep one after speaking twice? Too much mundane description of getting, washing, avoiding dinner etc. whole book is a build up to the next one, which I wouldn't buy. If you set questions in a book, aim to answer them by the end, not in another book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Faelorehn, 13 Jun. 2014
Great start to the trilogy hoping things start to take shape in the next book and some of the questions get answered

5.0 out of 5 stars Faelorehn, 29 Mar. 2014
This story had me hooked from the first sentence, the way that the story unfolded was gentle with just the right amount of heartrate rising to keep me turning the pages

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 11 Mar. 2014
I absolutely loved Faelorehn, the characters kept you hooked throughout the book and with every twist and turn in the story. Very much looking forward to book 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Faelorehn, 10 Jan. 2014
With eyes that change colour and being able to see and hear things which others cannot, Meghan has always been an outcast. With her visions getting worse, Meghan starts to think she is going crazy. That is until she meets Cade, who might have the answers she needs. Faelorehn is a enjoy book which is a quick read with Celtic mythology. I like Meghan and her friends and I felt I could have fit in well in their group. We did not see enough of Cade and I hope we see more of him in the next book. I would recommend Faelorehn to people who like Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique mythology, 12 Dec. 2013
Meghan Elam has been in the foster system ever since she was found as a toddler walking naked and barefoot down the streets of LA on Halloween night. Now she's been adopted but the same dream of that night keeps recurring. Meghan's not what you'd call popular because she's slightly strange. Her eyes change colour and she see's and hears things no-one else can. Like the time she heard the tree's crying when they where being cut....murdered rather, and the more recent time when she saw a horde of gnomes. Not the cute ones either.

When Meghan's visions get worse, along with the voices in her head, she's worried she'll get dragged off to another psychiatrist. But then Cade MacRoich shows up one night, and he has all the answers she's looking for. However, Cade also brings the news that she's a mix of two types of fae....something that's usually killed before it has the chance to take the wrong path and be a threat.

I love Meghan, she's not traditionally beautiful, she's not popular, and she has a group of some of the most interesting and diverse people. She's an outcast, a little bit weird and her and all of her friends are the oddballs. It makes such a change to not read about a character who's beautiful and popular and so on and so on. I also liked how realistic the bullying situation is, some books take it too far and are totally ridiculous about it, but not Faelorehn.

Faelorehn isn't like the usual books about the Fae, where there's the other world and they're all beautiful and it's usually all the same type of mythology. Faelorehn is based on Celtic mythology, which drew me in right away and I loved reading about it all when we got snippets of it in the book. It's a very unique take on the fae and fairies and their world and mythology.

For me the book was very short, and I read it in 2 hours. Faelorehn was very fast paced, which is a good thing but also a bad thing. Meghan falling in love with Cade happened very fast and was kind of un-realistic, and it felt a little forced. There where a lot of chunks of the book where nothings really happening, but there's a fair bit of action thrown in.

In Faelorehn it feels like the story is being set, we're getting the background and it's building up for the main action to take place in the next book. As much as I love Meghan, she's not very deep, she's not very dimensional and she's kind of an idiot. A few of the plot points are very predictable including the misunderstanding that kicks of the main action...right at the end of the book.

I enjoyed Faelorehn when I finished it, but it didn't have that much of a huge impact on me while I was actually reading it. I think the second book will be even better because everything's set up for the action to start and hopefully the characters and the romance will be developed more.

Faelorehn is a fast paced, cute little read, ideal for when you don't want to read anything that requires too much concentration, and something that'll leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. Perfect for killing a few hours on a winters day!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Faelorehn: Otherworld Trilogy (Book One): 1
Faelorehn: Otherworld Trilogy (Book One): 1 by Jenna Elizabeth Johnson (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2012)