on 7 January 2014
I started reading this book while stuck at Gatwick airport inbetween Christmas and New Years. I managed to read half of it in a few hours. This isn't because it's short, far from it, it's because what I was reading was so interesting and inspiring. I couldn't wait to turn the next page.

The only downside to reading this at the airport was that after I'd read several chapters about food, nutrition and weightloss I was gagging to get started. Unfortunately for me, I was travelling to my in-laws abroad and they totally disregard healthy eating! Knowing that I'd have to take a large calorie hit over the week, I was eager to get back to the UK.

The book is informative. Starting of with basic breakdowns of nutritional definitions ('What is a carbohydrate?' for example), it gives you a good understanding of everything that is then mentioned throughout the rest of the book. Not once did I need to 'Google' any of the terms in more detail. I now feel more knowledgeable about food and nutrition and I'm more aware than ever before about what I'm putting into my body each day and how it effects me and my health/fitness progress. The information provided deters you from the 'fad' diets as you learn that even fat and carbs are important factors to acheiving your goals.

The book then moves to common myths and misunderstandings regarding weightloss, excercise, increasing muscle mass etc. It progresses nicely into more detail from what was covered at the start of the book. Each page I turned felt like another piece of the puzzle being put together. I was starting to see how I can make a huge difference to the way I look, how I can acheive maximum results in the gym and how I can make a positive impact on my general wellbeing.

The latter part of the book goes into how to calculate your daily calorie intake, dependent on whether you want to cut, bulk or maintain weight, and how this is broken down into important fat, carbs and protein. It gives you diet plan ideas and tips on when to eat certain foods (what to eat in the morning, before the gym, after the gym etc). It then moves to the all important weight training plans and helpful guidance on cardio, form and repetitions.

I've only just started the diet plan and I'm on day 2 of the gym workouts but I wil update my review in 3 months time to let you know my cutting progress and if the book has lived up to my expectations. I already think it will, the nutrition and weight-loss information alone will help and the way I work out in the gym has forever been changed. No more wasting time on machines for me. Free weights all the way.

I was worried about stuggling to track my calories by keeping tabs on how much fat, carbs and protein I have everyday. So, as the book suggests, I contacted Mike and got a speedy response in which he offered me a few tips and guidance. It's nice to know that you kind of have him available when in need! You don't feel so isolated. I was very impressed with this.

One part I think I will struggle with is trying to get enough protein in my diet to meet my daily goal, whilst keeping the spending low. I'm going to do my best.

Like I said earlier, I'll update this review in 3 months to let you know how I get on. I really recommend this book, even if you are an experienced gym fanatic or diet junkie you'll still find something useful inside. And if you're not, and you're looking to lose weight or get ripped, then at the very least, the book will inspire you to do so...sensibly.
on 5 January 2014
If , like me, you are fed up of the myriad of different and sometimes conflicting fitness advice out there then please look no further. Mike lays it out clearly and concisely along with a glossary of terms which was an education in itself. To be clear, this book is for people who are looking to find the best way to get bigger (bulking) then leaner (cutting) and then maintaining your results. In some respects, and this is no disrespect to Mike, most of what he has written is nothing groundbreaking in the sense that he has uncovered the secrets to fitness success but rather he lays it out in such a way that you know (it helps having seen pictures of Mike on his web site) he is talking from his own experience and is genuinely looking to help other people get the bodies they want but often struggle to achieve. Now I don't doubt there are others out there who can attest to doing the same just as much as there are people who just want your money (Mike covers the myths and smoke and mirrors behind supplements also in this book) but what Mike has written just resonated with me and that is quite rare.

I read this book in one sitting as I could not put it down. I needed to soak up the honesty and learn as much as I could as quickly as possible. I know that my ideal body and fitness is not something that comes easily but Mike has given a blueprint for anyone to follow. Mike has renewed my hope that if I stick to what is logical and eat right, workout hard and rest when needed that this holy trinity will reap rewards.

Please do yourself a favour and try to forget everything you know about how to get ripped and then read this book. Also, check out Mikes website for more information on fitness in general.

Highly recommended!
on 2 December 2013
Ok where to begin, just completed the 2 month cycle 5 days a week and i have to say its working out wonderfully as 'Magic Mike' explains everything you need wonderfully as he's with you every step of the way, its really felt like i've had the dude helping me out personally.

i'm 36 now and have been doing this for quite a while now so its now or never i feel, BLS the sweet science has given me a much greater understanding of what i'm trying to achieve now i'm up 3lb which is the highest i've ever been as i'm a classic Ectomorph with the added gift of double joints.. lol, so i have been following his perfect form method and nutrition all the way, not a cheap lifestyle as you can run into quite a few hundred pounds every few months but the way i see it is as an investment of your overall wellbeing longterm = Priceless..

i've read BLS a few times over now & I have a huge amount of respect for the man he most certainly knows his stuff as its all backed with citations and university studies so you feel his honesty in every page as he guides you thru the physical as well as the mental aspect of weight training. After taking a week rest as recommended after the first 2 months i've been itching to get back in the gym! thats never happened to me before as i never truly understood what i was really after goal wise but Mikes approach to the healthy living and trying to improve your overall well being has honestly kept me going. BIIG UP yourself pal keep up the great work we salute you
on 29 September 2013
I've been doing weight training 4-6 times per week for a bit more than a year now (other training before that), and during that time i've done two 12 weeks intensive programs.
I've had varying results, but not really to my satisfaction.
I am an Osteopath by profession, so i have quite a good knowledge base of the body, but i knew i had to learn more about what really makes the lifting effective in terms of muscle building?, and how i need to eat to really support my training.
The internet is full of very confusing advice and questionable motives for the advices given, so not an easy way to learn.
Finding Michaels books, with the honesty, clarity and relative simplicity they have, has been a relief.
The first of Michaels books that i came across was his cookbook "The shredded chef", and after i've read the first 20 pages i knew i had to get his other books as well.
I find Michaels book absolutely brilliant, as it answers all the questions that i had, and i am moving on with renewed belief and enthusiasm :).
The main flaw in the programs that i used to follow is the idea of building muscle and burning fat at the same time, and that it is not nessesary to count calories. Well, for me that was a hit and miss approach, and at the end very unsatisfying.
Michael is very clear on the importance of counting calories, protein, carbs and fat, and to be really specific if i want to make the most of my training, whether i want to build muscle, lose fat or maintain.
I have also found an App called "Perfect diet tracker" which makes this really easy.
All in all i am very happy and i would recommend this book to anyone who wants to train and make the most of their training.
on 18 July 2013
I read the other reviews and thought I would give this book a go.

I have experience of Power Lifting from my youth but due to serious injuries have been unable to return to lifting those sort of weights, and inevitably the weight piled on due to poor diet, lack of exercise and my love of beer !!!!!

So I turned 40 and decided to return to the gym. I trained for about 9 months and lost a good amount of weight. and began to enjoy training and started to eat more healthily and drink far less. Then my weight loss stopped and my training was going OK but I was not seeing any gains etc.

So I looked here on AMAZON and looked through the books and purchased this title. I am so glad I did. The book arrived in good time and when I got home from work I picked it up and could not put it down. It reads really well and explains everything simply and in depth. I had the book finished by the time I went to bed and it was probably the fastest I have ever read a book, just such a natural read for me.

The book explains in depth about training for gains and training for cutting. It has training plans and the diet explanation is spot on !!!!!! I am currently in my third week of my new routine and diet following this books plans and have seen great progress already. My weight training routines are showing great gains and my diet is going much better with increased Protein and carbohydrate intake etc. I have been following the cutting plan as I want to shred some more belly fat. When I started training back in October 2012 I was 16 stone 7 lbs, through training and eating less junk and drinking less beer I dropped to 14 stone 7 to 9 lbs. I just could not shift anymore weight. So now into my 3rd week of following the cutting plan I am now 14 stone exactly. Feeling great and loving the training.

After reading this book I now realise the mistakes I was making in my previous training, but now understand fully what to do.

A great read and a must have for anyone who is interested in any form of training.

The author also includes his E-Mail address and I have mailed him on a few occasions and you get a response answering your questions.

A life changing book for those serious about training !!!!!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 July 2013
Having had some comments from the girlfriend about my body being a bit skinny, I decided to get involved in the gym world. But looking at my local gym and the staff I didn't feel I would know what to do, so onto the internet for guidance.

Looked at what was available on Amazon and came across "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" - seemed to fulfill what my goal was going to be so grabbed it.

Read through it and thought this guy seems to know what he was on about, explaining how everything fits together for building a better body so downloaded the bonus report which gives your first year training plan, looks absolutely brilliant - a real help when you don't know where or how to start.

To my mind Michael has written a very good book which is easy to read and understand - a brilliant job. Thank you Michael.

The web site has a forum which you can check out if you have any questions and as has been said before he is available by email, had an eflyer in the inbox one day asking how the training was going, I replied "Starting the plan beginning this week", and he replied in person to my email which I wasn't expecting. I gave him some more details about myself (55 year old git) and he replied with some tweaks that were as a result of feedback or questions from previous people.

Needless to say I have also brought "The Shredded Chef" for advice on what to eat, which is very helpful. I think I can safely say that Mike has done for me what people would call a lifestyle change - if all goes well will give an update in six months to let you know how it is going.

(Have also brought "Thinner, Leaner, Stronger" for the girlfriend, well she wanted to start in the gym as well, and no we won't be holding hands all the time)

Once again thank you Mike.

Get this book you will not regret it.
on 24 June 2013
There are a lot of muscle building guides out there that simply instruct the reader on what to do and expect you to follow their instructions to a T. Speaking from experience, these guides seem like a great idea at the time when you're just starting out because the whole process seems so daunting and you just want somebody to 'tell you what to do". However, I quickly became disillusioned with such guides as I inevitably failed to keep up with the rigorous workout/diet plans due to social and work commitments getting in the way. I suspect that the vast majority of people who attempt to follow such guides end up failing for the same reason.

What's great about this book is that it approaches the problem from a different angle. Rather than telling you what to do, it explains the process of getting into shape so that you can develop a fundamental understanding of what's going on. The main lesson in the book is that you have to be decisive and choose exactly what you want to achieve; do you want to gain muscle or lose fat? Once you know what you want to achieve, the knowledge that you gain allows you to be relatively flexible with your eating and workout regime so that you can adapt it to your life - rather than vice-versa. The process becomes enjoyable rather than a chore and I think that this is vital if you want long term success.

Lastly, I would like to thank Mike for personally taking the time to reply to my emails. Not only are his responses speedy but also very helpful. Overall, I can't fault the book or it's author. A well deserved five stars!
on 27 March 2013
Just finished reading Bigger Leaner Stronger and already I have to say I am really impressed! Mike gives the reader a no nonsense, concise introduction to building lean muscle and strength in a way that is both hugely informative and easy to understand. As he says there is so much conflicting advice out there on how to approach weight training and the way the book is written really does clear up a lot of misconceptions about what are the best methods for building muscle. Light bulbs were certainly going on for me!

Mike explains very clearly about how nutrition works and exactly how what you eat affects the body. I have trained previously but I suppose not paid as much attention to diet as I should have because I didn't understand nutrition and like so many was confused about it all. Thanks to Bigger Leaner Stronger I am not anymore! Now I get it and know what I should be eating and how to calculate calorie intake to build muscle the healthy way. The way the book also sets out example meal and training plans for your specific goals is massively helpful, be they weight muscle gain, fat loss or maintaining muscle or as the terms go 'bulking', 'cutting', or 'maintaining'.

Following the chapters on nutrition (with the very handy glossary sections at the beginning of the book), Mike then goes into an in depth explanation of all the compound exercises you need to be doing in the gym for the most effective results and the amazing thing is I had my first workout session yesterday and it only took me an hour, brilliant! I would spend up to nearly two hours in the gym before I knew all this stuff so this is most definitely a hugely more effective way to train. I am still in the process of getting my head round my meal plans and work out schedule and already I have messaged Mike for advice and he got right back to me within 24 hours with a very helpful and cheerful reply. Like I said IMPRESSED!

The bonus report at the end of the book is also very helpful additional material that lists the best supplements and equipment etc that you will need to get you started. All in all both book and report are will be invaluable to you if like me you are serious about improving your physique, strength and fitness. Thanks Mike! FANTASTIC BOOK! It's a credit to you. I'm super excited about my new gym regime! :)
on 23 March 2013
I think the proper way to use this is to first read it through like a novel before starting to change your lifestyle. This is enjoyable, written in a very accessible style and full of little tidbits i had not heard before.

Then use it to plan a nutritional, training, and supplement program catered to you, this will take some time and fine tuning but all the information is there. In addition to the book i used myfitnesspal to help with the eating side as that has easy access nutritional info for a huge database of uk foods.

Then once you begin use the book as a manual, flicking to the day training program initially to remember proper exercise technique or nutrition for when to take carbs and proteins if you change some of your foods or anything else you need a recap on.

I am at stage 3 have read the book, formed a diet and training regime (both very detailed and specific which is important) i begin on monday. I am a skinny 65kg, 143 lb 5 ft 10 male. I know if i stick to it 12 weeks will bring significant change, beyond that we shall see. The question is can i stick with it. This book throws all the misconceptions about building mass away as i confidently have all the knowledge and procedures in place that i need, willpower is the only unknown. If the will holds building muscle quickly and efficiently is inevitable.

This book has been essential in supplying the knowledge, tools and, most importantly, motivation required to undergo this significant life change.

In summary, great book.
on 21 March 2013
I am nearing the end of my 12 week programme and thought I'd give you a review based on my approach to this book. I am a nightmare at keeping logs and organising meal plans so didn't here. I did however try to stick to the amount and frequency of protien intake. My diet is good anyway but I doubt I really hit the 3000 calories or the amount of micro vitamins I should have if I stuck religiously to the advise in the book. I also do not go to the gym as I have a home gym with free weights, racks and dip station etc - I do not feel i was particularly handicapped by this. I followed the excersise plan for a 5 day lift, I day cardio and 1 day off and sepnt between 30mins to 45min in the gym per session. I have put on roughly half a stone and whilst some "belly fat" is expected (the books says that), my trouser waist line has not changed. All over I feel bigger - not massive gains but enough to feel clothes fitting differently and areas more defined. My Mrs has noticed a big change in shoulders and legs. I have swapped some excersise as I wasn't feeling any benefit (could be wrong form) - for example, I don't like normal dumbell curls so swapped that for incline curls on the bench - what a pump! I need to find something different for my back. Also worth noting is that I hate Ab work so have done the absolute minimum during this time. I will make an effort nearer summer......... All in all, the book has helped a lot and if nothing more than to explain the nutrition side a bit better (even if I didn't follow to the letter). Anyways, in conclusion - I have obviously gained and I will keep it going for another 12 before attempting to lose fat. Give the book a go, I have proved you do not have to spend cash in a gym, be in the gym for hours or be as strict as the book suggests with regards eating to get some rewards. Good Luck.!