5.0 out of 5 stars I am amazed
I am 44 and now on my third week at the gym following the programme. I am amazed how my body and mind have responded and only wish I knew about this twenty years ago. I have enjoyed the book and understanding what I need to do and why.
Published 23 months ago by MGL

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Newbies
Published 8 months ago by Stevie

5.0 out of 5 stars I am amazed, 7 Sep 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point no bull - Awesome., 10 Dec 2012
G. Moffat - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Healthy Muscle Series) (Paperback)
Mikes book is excellent and can confirm the information within the pages work!

I followed the books information and guidance and began a weight loss routine (cutting) and dropped 82lbs in 12 months going from 252lbs to 170lbs.

I then proceeded to follow the weight gain\lean mass over a 3 month period (bulking), increased my muscle mass by 10lbs!

Not bad for a 48 year old man.

I regularly go back to the book and reread chapters to refresh my mind and seem to pick up some other useful information.

The programme works and the information provided is to the point and there is no "bull".

Highly recommended and Mike will even take time out to answer your emails directly.

Brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Newbies, 23 Nov 2013
I must have had a rush of blood to buy this book because when it arrived I very quickly realised it told me little I didn’t know already. The book is aimed at newbies, or those who perhaps have trained without any real guidance/goals and are looking for a firm plan to pursue. What I would say is that if I were to turn back the clock and start from scratch a book like this would have been very useful. Matthews’ training philosophy differs slightly from the standard muscle mag guidance in that he advocates lower rep/heavier weight training. Diet guidance is fairly standard in that he advocates the traditional bodybuilding format of high carb/protein, low fat macro split. He offers simple formulas for calculating intake for both cut and bulk phases. He doesn’t try to peddle supplements, which is a good sign. He also recommends HIIT cardio throughout, although doesn’t spend much time on actual programmes. Like many books, it fails to properly demonstrate how exercises are properly performed. Squat, deadlift and benching are complex movements and if you don’t have a training partner/spotter to keep you right it’s easy to get into bad habits. Matthews has a nice, engaging writing style and it’s not full of bluster and dubious claims. Useful text.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, 22 Aug 2012
Keeping it brief this book is AMAZING never mind the 1 star review, yes for people that are gym savvy we know that compound exercises are better than isolation etc but the way this book is laid out really makes you want to train hard and eat well. This book has been a BIG help

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Training Program I've Ever Done, 26 Jan 2014
At Robert "A Robert" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
Bigger Leaner Stronger is well researched, well written, and well worth a read. Moreover, if you email the author with any questions you might have (I had one to do with a postural issue I have, but found answers to the more general ones answered within the pages) Mike will not only get back to you, but do so quickly, kindly, and personally. I was shocked at the depth and intelligence of his reply - particularly as I've paid for a lot less before.

The main thing however is that this program just works. Plain and simple, I've added kgs of muscle to my lanky frame, and 2 inches to my arms in just over a month! If you're serious about gaining muscle, and willing to make the commitment to training properly for a few months, then make the best investment you'll ever do in the gym right now and start the transformation today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy what a bargain!, 11 Jun 2014
I have been involved in sport and nutrition for many years and this is the most comprehensive book I have read. The author offers a great simple approach to training and nutrition whatever your goal may be. This is far more informative than any magazine and at 2.99 much cheaper. You will also be able to access the author's website and receive bonus reports which are also great. This is my first ever review on amazon but one I felt compelled to write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear. precise and about everything you need to know - A MUST read, 17 July 2014
To be clear I am not a 'reader'. I very rarely find a book I enjoy but what I do love is training. And I have read this book within a couple of days in spare time because I could not wait to absorb all the information. After reading Mike's book I can honestly say I am even more motivated to train than ever before. He has clearly rubbished so much stuff that I was unsure about with regards to supplements and types of training.
I am looking forward to putting his plan into place and giving it the recommended 8-12 weeks for initial results. If all is true, I am excited for the changes that I truly believe are possible.
So in summary if you are a little confused with training, what to train, how to train, nutrition and what to eat, when and how much or even baffled by supplements and are they really as good as advertised? Give this book a read it's 100% worth the investment in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS BOOK!, 12 Aug 2012
levw49 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I must have read through around 10-15 weight training books along with various other information from internet sites having come away feeling confused or robbed of my hard earned cash. This book on the other hand is a revelation, it strips back all the rubbish you're led to believe to be true and gets down to the basics and hard facts of weight training. It also delves in to how your body functions and what you should be feeding it to make it run properly, which in turn goes in to subjects such as fat loss and again it's straight to the point no nonsense stuff. This may all seem like fairly obvious stuff but it's surprising how much your head gets filled with rubbish which you eventually hold to be true.
This book will apply to a wide audience as it's not just aimed at those who want to be enormous, you can take away so much more from it and tailor it to suit your end goal. After reading this you'll feel far more informed as to how foods, excersises and they're quantities actually effect your body and from there on it's up to you what you decide to do with it. 10 out of 10 and a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 18 July 2014
Excellent book, full of quality info. Everything in it made sense, written in an way easy to understand - even for those of us without the best scientific knowledge....

Before reading this book I thought I'd never find a book as inspirational and informative as the Convict Conditioning books, however now I've found a book which is of the same calibre as Paul "Coach" Wade's books, but instead about weightlifting.

My only request would be that he includes photographs of someone doing all of the exercises and variations. That being said, there are diagrams showing illustrating the main exercises and Michael (the author) does mention an excellent website to watch the exercises being performed so I can't really complain.

Thanks for the great book Michael - I recommend it to anyone looking to become a healthier and fitter (don't forget ripped) version of themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 6 April 2014
John Skellon (Swanley, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed listening to this and picked up a few bits to help me in my workouts and nutrition. The supplements guide is very helpful. Have since bought the ebook as well for written reference :)