5.0 out of 5 stars A useful tool for once.
Published 21 months ago by Stephen Hassell

1.0 out of 5 stars Nor suitable for kindle
I stupidly bought the Kindle editon of this. What was I thinking? It is - as it says on the tin - a thesaurus. That's not just a fancy title. It is a real thesaurus and, as such, you need to be able to use an index and flick back and forth between entries to get the best out of it - impossible to do on a kindle.

While the content seems to be good - and in all...
Published 23 months ago by J. R. Bedford

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful tool for once., 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Expression (Paperback)
It is a pleasure to find sucn a useful and well produced book for once. A good thesaurus that not only provides a reference to a huge list of emotional descriptions, words and phrases, but also delivers some useful advice on using the thesaurus. One of the reviews here state that the book misses some common emotions like lust and shock. A review is only valid if it is accurate; shock is on page 148 and lust seems well covered in the huge desire section. Overall I would say this is very comprehensive and well produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously useful, 27 May 2012
This book tells me how a a character feels and acts under the influence of certain emotions, including body language and facial expression.

I've long wished for a book like this.

There have been books and classes before telling writers about character emotions, but those haven't been as helpful. Typically, those books and classes get it the wrong way round: they tell how to read body language (if a character's posture looks so-and-so, it means he's feeling such-and-such). As a writer, I found those useless. I know what my characters feel; I want to know how to convey this to my readers.

For years, I compiled my own list of emotion details for my own use. The material I've come up with has been helpful but limited. I'm glad someone has finally published a book with all the information, much more comprehensive than what I've come up with, and structured the way writers need it. The writer can look up the emotion, and see how it feels physically (useful when the character is the PoV) and how it looks to someone else (posture, facial expression, movement etc - useful when the PoV observes that character).

I recommend this book for professional level writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little reference work., 22 Aug 2012
Stuart Aken (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I promised my wonderful and long-suffering wife that I wouldn't buy any more book until I'd read everything on our shelves. Now, here I am buying a new thesaurus after reading only 31 of the original 188 titles awaiting my attention. Why? Well a friend (she's a friend, and she made me break a promise to my wife?) passed on a review of this book. I'm afraid I can't now find the link to that review, but thanks to whoever it was! It was the review that persuaded me to bend my knee and ask my lovely other half to bend the rules. Being the woman she is, she agreed, of course.
So, what's this reference work like?
Well, surprisingly, it's in the form of a thesaurus: novel, eh? There's a short introductory section that provides a brief overview of emotion and its place in writing. A short article on avoiding common problems in conveying nonverbal emotion follows. And a short explanatory piece then explains how best to use the thesaurus. After these pieces come the listings.
Now, I don't know about you, but perhaps because I'm a man and therefore emotionally challenged, I'd have found it difficult to come up with a list of more than ten emotions. So it was something of a surprise to discover 75, yes seventy five, listed here. For each of these, the authors have provided a definition of the emotion, a list of physical signals, the internal sensations experienced, the mental responses felt, cues of acute or long-term encounters with and cues of suppressed experience of the emotion. The final piece on each is a short writer's tip.
The book sets out to enable writers to convey emotion in the time-honoured fashion of `showing' rather than the easier and less satisfying `telling'. By equipping the writer with a variety of physical signs (body language), visceral experiences (the true and unavoidable internal responses) and degrees of response, the authors help writers to bring deeper feelings to the readers of their works. It succeeds in its stated purpose, by the way.
I shall keep this book beside me as I edit in the future, ensuring I create real emotion on the page rather than allow cliché and familiar expression to convey the feelings of my characters.
My thanks to the unknown reviewer and my great thanks to Angela and Becca for a super little reference book that I expect to improve my writing for years to come. I think it's probably redundant for me to say I recommend this book, but, there, I've said it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Mar 2013
This book is amazing. A clear and concise breakdown of how we subconsciously react when we feel certain emotions. What do our hands do, body language and facial expressions, all of these and more are described in the book The layout is easy to follow and for the aspiring writer is an essential piece of equipment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nor suitable for kindle, 25 Nov 2012
J. R. Bedford (Huddersfield UK) - See all my reviews

While the content seems to be good - and in all fairness is not the subject of this review - I will say again: DO NOT BUY THE KINDLE EDITION. This is not a book you want to read in linear fashion, page by page.

I have asked Amazon for my money back and I will order the paperback edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful... BUT!, 28 Nov 2012
This book is very useful never let it be said otherwise BUT... it is far from perfect. A lot of perfectly normal emotions are missing. Shock, Lust, and quite a few more simply are not there. I find it very difficult to understand why these emotions are missing but hey ho... They are. It's good, but not THAT good!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Gem, 7 Feb 2013
A gem of a book, great reference points, I love the idea of identifying the root emotion and using the thesaurus for a range of alternatives, layering emotions and words describing the logical explanation regarding where your characters' feelings are headed. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing tool, 9 Jan 2013
My husband bought me this book for Christmas - lots of brownie points for him this year!

This is a brilliant book! Useful for beginners and more experienced alike, it also serves as a great source of writing ideas and tips as well.

I find I keep looking up emotions 'just to see' :-)

I had the paperback copy and imagine that the kindle edition may be more difficult to use - you need to be able to browse the book as well as look up specifics.

Can't wait for more in the series to come out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not useful!, 16 Dec 2013
I didn't find this book very useful at all. The emotions and their connotations in relation to character building were very basic and nothing that I couldn't have come up with myself, and actually had come with myself. Proved of no help to my writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the absolute best!, 17 Sep 2012
I was thrilled when I found out about this book. What an amazing help it has been to my writing. I can't live without it now and keep it on my desk whenever I'm writing - which is every day. One of the best writing tools I have ever come across. Every writer should have a copy. I have one for my ereader and one paperback copy also.

The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Expression
The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Expression by Angela Ackerman (Paperback - 6 May 2012)