4.0 out of 5 stars Oh Mummy!
Pyramids (The Book of Going Forth) is Terry Pratchett's 7th Discworld novel, and continues the trend of changing the series from a satire of the fantasy genre into a distorted mirror of our own world. The main inspiration here is quite obviously ancient Egypt, with the returning heir to the throne of Djelibeybi (ouch!) getting involved in a plot which involves the return...
Published on 21 Jan 2005 by Jane Aland

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, not the worst
My star rating should be considered in the light of the fact that I love Terry Pratchett books. The rating takes into account the need to distinguish between my favourites and others. My problem is that I've not been reading the books in any sort of order and once I'd discovered Sam Vimes and the Watch, Granny Weatherwax and the Witches and the Wee Frees I've tended to...
Published on 4 Oct 2009 by Mr. J. Creevey

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Language, 30 Nov 2012
The excessive use of semi-technical language in some parts of the book - pretending of offer logical explanations for certain situations - was not helpful in letting the story flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Book from Terry Pratchett, 6 Sep 2012
This story stands alone in the Disc World Collection and loses nothing for it.

The story details the father and son relationships, the importance of Pyramids, how to hang onto your Mummies and the intelligence of Camels!

This book is fabulous and I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett at hi best, 14 Aug 2012
Easily my favourite of Sir Terry's books. I keep re-reading this. The Assassins' guild is easily my favourite of the Ankh-Morpork guilds and the cultural link with Ancient Egypt is very well done. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Terry's best, 12 May 2012
I have read many of the discworld series, and this is one of the best!Great characters, good story line, very funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 5 May 2012
Genius as always, even if it comes in the shape of a camel.
This book is a must read, taking in the morality of assasins and the lunacy of trying to take it all with you when you go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pyramids, 18 April 2012
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Pyramids is part of the Discworld Novel Series. As usual the whole story is completely 'off the wall' and starts with the training school for assassins. This leads onto the enthronement of one of the students after his father dies in an Egyptian style area of the Discworld. The whole novel has the light touch expected in the series and is riddled with humour, some of which made me laugh out loud. I know that many people cannot get into these novels but I find them fascinating and really funny. I would recommend this novel to anyone but I would say that you would get more out of it if you have read the earlier novels in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 13 Mar 2012
Great read as ever. The series cont, Mr Pratchitt is such compelling a read & I can read them over and over again.
Pleased to have it on my Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars favourite author, 15 Nov 2010
Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authors and I have all his Discworld books. I lent 'Pyramids' to a friend and hadn't got it back, so I had to replace it. I love the way Pratchett takes off the old corn-god myths by having his student hero walking along the street of his university town and corn springing up in his footsteps; and I love the camel who is the greatest mathematical genius in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assassins, priests and time, 10 April 2010
T. R. Alexander (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
`Pyramids' has always been one of my favourite Discworld books as it involves two of my greatest interests; assassins and Ancient Egypt. The book is about Teppic, a young assassin who is called home to the kingdom of Djelibeybi to become king now that his father is dead. Becoming king is only the start of his problems though as he cannot get anything done in the fantastically traditional kingdom and his fathers pyramid is causing all kinds of trouble.

This book is probably my second favourite of the stand alone Discworld books, Small Gods being number one, and it is as brilliantly funny as you would expect from a Discworld book. If the book has a fault it is that it does get a bit slow in the third quarter but other than that it is a greatly entertain book. The characters are interesting and it is a shame that they have never made cameos in any other book of the series.

Overall `Pyramids' is a brilliantly funny book that touches on things from Greek philosophers to ancient mythology in Terry Pratchett's usual exceptional style and as such I would say it is one of the must read Discworld books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pyramids, 22 Oct 2009
Mr. M. Chapman (London) - See all my reviews
Even though this story takes a while to get going it's still an enjoyable read as all discworld novels are. There isn't much travelling round Discworld in this story but the characters are great, especially the Camel!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 | Next ›

Pyramids: Discworld: The Gods Collection
Pyramids: Discworld: The Gods Collection by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - 16 Jan 2014)