4.0 out of 5 stars The Baby's Coming.
Having been a past nurse and midwife myself I am always curious to read this type of material.
This book has been thoughtfully and expertly written by a clearly dedicated midwife. It was hard to put down and thoroughly captivating.
So why didn't I award it 5 stars...?
Published 2 months ago by Ali M

1.0 out of 5 stars The key word here is STORIES
Interesting reading. Removing entire people and events from certain very detailed scenarios in this book: now why would someone do that?
Published 4 months ago by rachelskymarket

4.0 out of 5 stars The Baby's Coming., 3 July 2014
So why didn't I award it 5 stars...?
The reason is that Virginia clearly had a very negative time spent in NHS midwifery settings and other than a few good midwives acknowledged seemed to portray the rest of the 'Bison' in a very poor light. I do understand completely the characters she discusses having come into contact with a few very similar myself as a midwife!
However there is also an enormous amount of wonderful, caring passionate NHS midwifes who strive day in day out under tremendously difficult circumstances to give the 'Gold Standard' care we all WANT to give. I have worked in a busy Labour ward, midwife led unit and community setting within the same hospital and fantastically positive births are achieved every day. I myself had my first child and daughter in a pool in the hospital I worked at, followed by my son via Casearian section! Despite Virginia's claims that her workload covered all demographics I know with certainty that past women of mine would never in a lifetimes saving be able to afford Independent Midwifery as an option....
My concern with this book is if a nervous first time mum to be reads it she may become alarmed that if she does not employ herself an independent midwife she may well be left in a medicalised stuffy NHS room at the mercy of the 'Bison' !!
Whilst formidable characters, I have to say, that if my delivery was going 'titsup' one of those very experienced, matriarchal characters entering the room was a huge comfort!
As midwives I would hope we ALL want to achieve a positive natural and wonderful life affirming birth , and I just hope lovely mums to be aren' t spooked into thinking if they cross an NHS threshold that the scaplels not far behind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy an extra copy..., 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Baby's Coming: A Story of Dedication by an Independent Midwife (Paperback)
...and put it in the handbag of a young woman who hasn't started her motherhood yet. Should be required reading for every pregnant woman early on, captures birth in all it's wonderfullness. Written by a larger than life character, her love for her job and customers shines through every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you've had a previous difficult hospital birth, 9 May 2014
I loved this book, having had a rather traumatic experience with the birth of my first baby I chose an independent midwife with my second. Having battled to get the sort of birth I wanted being a VBAC I contacted Virginia at 38 weeks pregnant. I couldn't even talk about my first experience without crying. She was excellent and I gave birth to my second child in the birthing pool at home. A happy ending for me and I really hope that Virginia and others like her can continue to legally work with people like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book., 12 May 2014
I could not put this down...if you have an special interest in Midwifery or not this is a wonderful book.
Full of special memories, thoughtful and reflective.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Account of a TRUE midwife, 9 May 2014
Mrs. C. Wood - See all my reviews
What an amazing book! I couldn't put it down.

Please can we have a new wave of midwives like Virginia and far less like Phyllis and Joan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, witty and totally engaging, 9 May 2014
I could not put this book down. It almost reads like a thriller, as each birth unfolds. I love Virginia's warm, witty, honest and humorous writing, as she recounts her fascinating journey to becoming an independent midwife. Thank goodness for such dedicated and passionate midwives such as Virginia.

5.0 out of 5 stars An empowering read, 8 May 2014
A brilliantly written insight into independent midwifery. As a hopeful vbac candidate this has inspired me to stand my ground and make my own choices about my next labour. I only wish I had read this book earlier into my pregnancy. A very easy read by a local midwife.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 8 May 2014
What a heartwarming book by an inspiring woman. Virginia is the midwife I aspire to be, she shows such compassion for the women she cares for. I read it all in two days, then immediately started it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars How Birth Is Meant To Be, 16 Mar 2014
Reading Virginia's book, it makes me sad that independent midwives aren't accessible for all women. This is a must read for anyone interested in birth - Virginia's warmth and love for the women she cares for radiates out of every page

5.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster!, 15 Mar 2014
G. Lawrence - See all my reviews
It's a long time since a book has hooked me in & been read in a day! An exciting, exhilarating and at times, sad account of Virgina's journey to where she is today. Any health professional who works in the same area will identify with Virgina's stories and will marvel at her strength to be the midwife that she wanted to be & not become part of the 'bison' brigade. This book portrays what can be achieved through mutual trust and support. You'll laugh and cry throughout this beautifully written book. May those birth angels continue to shine their magic for many years to come.

The Baby's Coming: A Story of Dedication by an Independent Midwife
The Baby's Coming: A Story of Dedication by an Independent Midwife by Virginia Howes (Paperback - 13 Mar 2014)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks