5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised.
Published 17 months ago by Julie Haigh

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting look into a pop stars world
I like reading celebrity autobiographies and it was on offer, so I thought that I'd treat myself.

Not being a big Girls Aloud fan, I'm mainly familiar which Kimberly Walsh from Strictly Come Dancing, in which I thought she was great.

The book was pretty much as I expected, an easy to read insight.
Kimberly gives a fairly honest account of her...
Published 11 months ago by Felicity

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised., 23 Nov. 2013
I do like to read a variety of genres and do like the occasional showbiz biography to have a nosey into the lives of the rich and famous and see if they're so different to the average person. I read Cheryl Cole's autobiography a few months ago-this wasn't really a book I would have rushed out to buy but I saw her on the Allen Carr Chatty Man show and she came over really well and I downloaded a sample of her book and it was really so much better than I thought it would be. Kimberley Walsh's autobiography came up in my recommendations and was on offer for an amazing .49p! What a fantastic read. I didn't know much about this member of Girl's Aloud but, on reading this book, I have learned what an amazing personality she is and I do admire her. She didn't just decide to audition for a reality TV programme-her and her brother and sister have all paid their dues in the showbiz world. They all showed promise in acting and performing and, from an early age went to a local theatre school. They have all been in children's TV programmes from an early age and Kimberley's sister used to be in 'Emmerdale'. Kimberley's mum is a piano teacher and her mum's mum and dad 'were both quite musical too' and, in Kimberley's words they 'eventually turned into a sort of Yorkshire version of the Von Trapps'. Things haven't always been easy for the family, her mum and dad split when Kimberley was just six, their house was nearly repossessed and her mum would always be thinking of ways to earn extra cash. One thing that comes across throughout the book is how grateful Kimberley is for her success, she is always marvelling at how far she has come, always thanking so much for how things have turned out, never taking it for granted, always keeping momentoes of her performances in scrapbooks. Many performers, after a few years would just take each new gig as 'just another one' but Kimberley puts so much importance on everything she does. A nice touch is that whenever she writes any swear words she writes the initial letter of a word but then puts asterisks for the remaining letters. Ok, most books these days have swearing in as a matter of course, realism etc but this just seems more ladylike and I'm glad she did it this way. Kimberley has kept loyal to her friends she made in childhood, never forgetting her roots. The book is well organised into chapters, it never rambles. What a great chapter about Kimberley, Cheryl, Gary Barlow and others climbing Kilimanjaro for comic relief. I never realised what was involved, it's not just 'climbing'. Many of them went through altitude sickness etc. and I had never thought about how they would go to the loo on an expedition such as this but this is all detailed extensively by Kimberley. It is a very honest book and she doesn't dish any dirt, she just mentions that Louis Walsh didn't really do much for Girl's Aloud as a manager and these chapters explain why, sometimes Girls Aloud live performances didn't always go according to plan. Not surprising with what they had to put up with trying to do things themselves and people putting the wrong backing track on! It really comes across that Kimberley is something of a perfectionist in her craft. There's just so much packaged into this book, it's a great read. It's a real credit to Kimberley, really well done, accurate. The only slight niggle is perhaps overuse of the phrase 'at the end of the day' but I really like her writing style-it feels like Kimberley is there with you, having a cosy chat over a cup of coffee. Very easy reading yet so much content. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable easy read, 9 Jan. 2014
Tina (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Whole Lot of History (Hardcover)
I had previously read the Cheryl Cole autobiography and loved it, so was interesting in reading Kimberley's also.

It is a nice, easy read and very well written.

I liked Kimberley on both Popstars the rivals and Strictly come dancing, however I found the entire book very interesting, not just the chapters relating to these areas of her life.

She comes across as a warm, lovely person and I enjoyed reading about her life so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars fozzie_bear36, 21 Feb. 2014
Brilliant book, couldn't but it down, a good read from start to finish, for any Girls Aloud fan, or anyone who likes auto biographies, buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! A real eye opener!, 16 Feb. 2014
I always thought of Kimberley as the quiet one of the band but when you read this book you really see how much influence she had had in the band over the years. Without her I don't think girls aloud would even have carried on! It shows that she is a fantastic type model to young girls out there during them how to follow their dreams and never give up no matter what! A fabulous read I couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years of Girls Aloud !, 20 Oct. 2013
I almost read the whole book in one go ! Except for chapter one, the first third is kimberley's youth, and the rest of the book is the history of Girls Aloud from Popstars the rivals to the 2013 split. Tons of little fun (and not-so-fun) anecdotes, and the true reasons that progressively led Girls Aloud to split. Kimberley seems sincere in all she says, and doesn't run her bandmates down, despite what some tabloids claimed. This autobiography is obviously a must for Girls Aloud fans, Kimberley fans and for people who want to have a taste of what a life in pop entertainment really is.

4.0 out of 5 stars And was not disappointed. It was nice to read a different perspective ..., 9 Sept. 2014
After reading Cheryl's book, I read Kimberley's too. And was not disappointed. It was nice to read a different perspective of the goings on of Girl Aloud days, and was really interesting to learn more about the roles each of the girls played in the group.

Kimberley's account of the goings on, were very honest, and seemed to match up with Cheryl's recollections pretty well too. I would say that Kimberley is slightly less guarded in her account than Cheryl, and is perhaps a little more blunt about things. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Kinda Ooooh !, 1 Mar. 2014
Kimberley has always been seen as the "Nice Description: Sensible One, Less Nice Description: Boring One" in Girls Aloud. Her life has had some very interesting bits within it. Obviously Girls Aloud takes up a very large part of it, as it did take up 1/3 of her life. As a big Kimba fan, I still learnt lots of new things about her. The last chapters made me cry, I won't spoil it for you, but it was a very touching section of the book, referring to her grandfather etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the lady herself, fantastic, 28 Sept. 2013
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been a fan of Girls Aloud from the beginning. I was 12 at the time of Popstars and my teenage years are full of Aloud memories. Needless to say I was gutted when they went on their hiatus, and even more gutted when they eventually split after an amazing tour. It's only after reading Cheryl's book last year and just finishing Kimberley's book that it becomes clear why the split, I'm still coming to terms with it though!

First of all I want to say that this is probably one of my favourite autobiographies. I've read a lot but Kimberley came across in the book just as she does in real life. Warm, funny, down to Earth and very honest. Having read the Girls Aloud book and Cheryl's book certain parts of the book felt a bit repetitive however it was good to read about certain things from Kimberley's point of view rather than Cheryl's. This book also reveals more about the split and the tensions in the band than Cheryl's (hardback copy, not sure if the paperback features new stuff) as it was written later. For that reason I'd love to read books from Nicola, Nadine and Sarah to get their take. Nadine's especially as she hasn't been written about very well here or in the press. Either she does live in her own bubble as Kim and Cheryl say or she really just doesn't care. Which is a shame as Nadine was one of my favourite members for a long time.

I loved reading about Kimberley's childhood and her determination to follow her dreams. I didn't realise what a hectic childhood she had and how talented she actually is. People often look at girl band members as talentless however Kimberley could never be called that. She did face quite a few obstacles but definitely overcame them. And I absolutely loved reliving all the Aloud memories from the formation of the band. The battle with One True Voice (who?!) for number one. The battles with the nonexistent Louis Walsh. Girls Aloud trying to find their image. Living together and all of the amazing tours. And of course the friendship between Cheryl, Kimberley and Nicola. Those three are the closest in the band and it was lovely reading about their friendship. I loved the chapter about the Comic Relief climb too, especially the bit about her and Chris on live TV in Africa! There are so many funny moments too, I did laugh out loud a few times.

Overall this is a must read book for Aloud fans but also one that I feel can be read and enjoyed by just about anyone. Girls Aloud might be no more but these five women, well maybe not all five, certainly won't be disappearing for a while yet and I look forward to seeing what the future brings for all of them. And at the same time hoping for books from the other three girls.

4.0 out of 5 stars You never know, 1 July 2014
Enjoyed this, Kimberley is very honest about herself and all around her,particularly those in the music business. Would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole lot of history, 8 Jun. 2014
I have to say I could not put this book down . I watched pop stars th rivals and loved girls aloud from then on and to read such an informative and honest book as this about Kimberly s life and the ten years of girls aloud has been s brilliant read

A Whole Lot of History
A Whole Lot of History by Kimberley Walsh (Hardcover - 26 Sept. 2013)
Used & New from: £0.01