4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 27 Feb. 2014
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Review

I had high hopes for this book and it didn’t let me down. When I first read the authors debut book Origin I found myself initially a little incredulous at the scope of the book. But then I re-read the book and found myself marvelling at the brass balls of the author, his ambition, drive and imagination to cover so many of the unanswered questions in the world, so many conspiracies under one book cover.

That however gave me a set of expectations for book 2, and initially my first read didn’t deliver that same ballsy scope, but then instead it delivered a quality thriller, and built to a world defining action packed book. One with great characters, ambitious global implications, high octane action and some very tight sparse fast paced writing.

As per book one JT Brannan keeps the reader guessing throughout the book, the edge of the seat action means that the book can easily be a single sitting read, 400 pages goes so fast. Its a real testament to the writing style, skill and the plot of the book.

I’m not going to explore the plot its self, the product description gives enough flavour, anymore is too open to spoilers. Suffice to say, nothing is as it seems, big brother is watching you, and nothing is to crazy and idea, it may just be true.

(Parm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a read, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Kindle Edition)
Rather than give a summary of the plot and risk spoiling it for others or adding too much to the "product description" I will offer my general reaction to the story.

After the prologue I felt I was getting into an enjoyable but fairly traditional adventure story. After a while I had forgotten the prologue and the scenario it offered. I think this was because the plot kept moving forward at a good pace with spectacular crises and disasters to keep me occupied. The characters were what I would expect from such an adventure story.

As things progressed though I noticed that unlike other disaster adventure books, this one did not veer away from the really big and dreadful scenes. Many other books will threaten such events but never actually offer them up.

The last couple of chapter and the epilogue however were what prompted me to give the 5th star. I kept thinking that the book was ending but then came the final corner of the story. I could not have guessed what lay round it. The big picture thinking of the author was breathtaking and left me almost a little stunned. A most enjoyable book

4.0 out of 5 stars Enormously entertaining!, 27 Feb. 2014
Kate (Oxford, Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Extinction (Paperback)
Animals turn against humans, planes fall from the sky, earthquakes rip continents apart and tsunamis drown islands. When a giant religious statue is seen to tilt backwards, its head and hands turning to the heavens, it is no surprise that spiritual leaders (official or otherwise) and their followers believe that God has turned his eyes away from humanity and that life on Earth is about to end.

One woman, though, clings on to hope. Alyssa Durham is a journalist and when an old friend is murdered right in front of her, having just told her that not all of these catastrophes are natural, she sets out to investigate, travelling northwards to a secret facility hidden in the ice. She meets Jack Murray, a scientist who works there who had know her dead friend, and the two of them have a race against death itself to try and identify the forces against them and the planet. But nothing is certain, nothing or noone can be relied upon. In the end, extinction might become mankind's only certainty.

I thoroughly enjoyed J.T. Brannan's first thriller, Origin, and so I couldn't read Extinction fast enough, putting it straight to the top of the reading pile on its arrival. I'm delighted to say that I found Extinction even better that Origin, and I was refreshed to find that this was another entirely standalone thriller, unrelated to the first, with a new set of characters and, because of that, the potential for any amount of surprises and shocks.

As with Origin, we're in the territory of spectacular disaster. No punches are pulled in Extinction - it's not one nation that's threatened, it's the entire human species. But much of the story is on the smaller scale as we follow Alyssa and Jack as they endure the utmost peril while discovering a little about each other and, you won't be surprised to hear this, liking what they see. Alyssa is an interesting woman. We learn about her husband and child, now both tragically lost, and this humanity adds an extra dimension. She's not infallible as she's learned all too well and throughout the novel she always seems to feel that the task ahead will prove too much for her. But she does it anyway and she's very easy to love for it. Jack is a less rounded individual, as are the baddies, but they are all entertaining to spend time with.

The action is crammed into the pages and never lets up. There is, despite the comfortable familiarity you feel reading this type of escapist thriller, an air of mystery about it all, something about the way it's written and the scenes it describes, and as a result when it ends it's quite possible that, like me, your mind will be boggled and you'll want to go right back to the beginning for a re-read.

I love the unashamed joy that I get from reading a thriller that makes the pages fly through my fingers while putting me on the edge of my seat with the threat of complete apocalyptic catastrophe! Extinction is enormously entertaining and, if you like this sort of thing and know how to turn your sense of disbelief off at the switch, then you will love this. And that ending! Blimey! I'm grateful for the review copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great read, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Kindle Edition)
The best read for a long time. The storyline is good right through to the very plausible end. A quite brilliant concept that kept me wearing every page. I will read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing action thriller, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Paperback)
After the reading the superb Origin by this same author, I had to read Extinction, though I thought it wouldn't be as good, but how wrong I was - its fast- paced, absorbing, well wriiten, just like Origin, but the plus point is that it has more exciting action scenes, and there's one helluva twist, which caught me off guard. A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyable read, I could hardly put it down. My only criticism is that I don't think the relationship between them needed to be intimate (trying not to give too much away here!). It was a bit cheesy and I don't think this really fit with the main story. Great otherwise though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily rocks the post apocalyptic wasteland, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read, great post apocalyptic novel. Perfectly captures the claustrophobia of the lone survivor and for a change gives us a female lead who isn't there only to be saved by the male lead.

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 10 Mar. 2015
Kenneth Wilson "kenny" (scotland) - See all my reviews
Extinction by J.T. Brannan
I will start by saying I really enjoyed "Origin", and for that reason read "Extinction", soon after. Extinction was a huge disappointment, It started strongly, the author keeps up the pace and the main characters were initially well constructed. However, my main criticism is that the book relies on us believing that its characters inhabit a reality that we all know and recognize,
and the descriptive language used reinforces that basic premise. Then comes the ending, the twist in the tale...
I cannot say more without risking a spoiler alert.. but it left me feeling let down, cheated even.
I hope his next book is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book with a twist at the end, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Paperback)
I read the first book origin and this one is just as good .there is a good twist at the end of the book ,but you will have to read it yourself

4.0 out of 5 stars Double dumplings for JT, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Extinction (Paperback)
Its not often you dont see the twist coming at the end of a book. This was heading for a 2 star below average rating until the epilogue. At only 2 pages or so it is a short epilogue but by george I did not see that coming. I had to go straight back to the prologue and read that part again.
Very clever Mr Brannan, very clever.
The book reads like a routine race against time thriller which it is in essence..........but, well just wait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Extinction
Extinction by J.T. Brannan (Paperback - 27 Feb. 2014)