4.0 out of 5 stars Space detective, 19 Jun 2013
I read the first Alex Benedict book a few years ago and quite liked it so I tried the second in the series just recently when I saw it was available on Kindle. Since then, in addition to Polaris I have read Seeker, The Devil's Eye, Echo and Firebird. The plot of all the books deals with a high level antiques dealer/archeologist/graverobber (take your pick), who works with a glamourous female space pilot/sidekick. Together they search out mysteries and often solve crimes. It is a fairly basic formula but ingeniously delivered in a satisfying but not too racy manner. The books are certainly clever and often thought-provoking. Even if my basic description suggests something that has been done time and time again, I can certainly understand why Jack McDevitt has many devoted fans. I don't think I am one of them, but I have found myself looking out for more of his books. Now there's a mystery for you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mystery and SF blend, 12 Feb 2014
Really very enjoyable. McDevitt is excellent at blending Sf and mystery. I recommend this and the rest if the series. I've bought and read all of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful space opera/mystery, 10 Feb 2014
This is the third book I've read in the Alex Benedict series and I'm growing to love them. McDevitt has a very easy writing style, engaging characters and interesting plots. The space-archaeologist concept works very well and gives the setting a real sense of history. His settings really come alive while he's describing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex and Case v2, 10 Nov 2013
A whodunnit novel set against a background of "space". Don't expect interstellar wars in any detail. Excellent, well written, attention-keeping. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent science fiction mystery, 28 Oct 2013
M. J. Odell (UK) - See all my reviews
First book by this author that I have read. You do not need to have read the previous book in the series it is a complete story. Well written, good technical science fiction, very detailed plot that keeps you guessing. Reminded me slightly of Alaister Reynolds, will definitely read more by this author.

Polaris (Alex Benedict - Book 2)
Polaris (Alex Benedict - Book 2) by Jack McDevitt (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
6.67