4.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the Vampire Chronicles series
I have been a huge fan of Anne Rice's 'Vampire Chronicles' since I first discovered 'Interview with the Vampire' when I was 16 years old. She was the writer who introduced me to the Vampire canon and her writing has really influenced my reading habits.

While browsing through the graphic novel section at my local library, I came across this little gem, a graphic...
Published 15 months ago by ReadingisDreaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Claudia's story of what?
Beautifully illustrated, just nothing new really. The title is a little misleading in that you think you might get a new take on that period of time and other things Louis wouldn't have been aware of. But it's essentially the same story repeated without Louis' whinning.
Published 16 months ago by Hayley Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars beautifully illustrated story, 4 Dec 2012
Jeannie Zelos "jeanie zelos book reviews" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (Hardcover)
Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story. Anne Rice.

I was supplied with this copy by publisher but as always on the basis that my opinion is honestly held and not influenced by whether the book was free or paid for. Integrity of reviewers is important to me, and false reviews do no favours to authors or readers.

This is my first ever graphic novel so I wasn't sure what to expect. I've reviewed how to do the artwork for graphic novels as part of my arts book reviews but never actually seen a complete book so its was something I was looking forward to. I've never read any of the Anne Rice novels either - I'd love to (like may others I've a thrall for vampire novels) but only some are on kindle and I now only buy kindle books as I love reading this way rather than traditional novels. Of course a graphic novel needs to be in traditional format I think - this one is in hardback and I feel that's good as one would want to preserve the beautiful images it holds.

On to the book itself - well I don't know why people want graphic novels but if its for the beautiful illustrations then this one is just right. The storyline is covered in other reviews and the preview so I'll focus on this aspect mainly. The paper is a heavy glossy type and feels good to the hand. The images are in a beautiful monotone of sepia and cream mainly, with of course, highlights of rich, dark, Alizarin red for the blood. This means is really stands out and lends a touch of drama suitable to the storyline. I felt for poor Claudia in that she was condemned to remain a child when turned by Lestat even though mentally she became over time an adult. I'm sure that didn't help her mental state although we see that she took to the blood and violence right from the start, she was still childlike in many ways and it wasn't until after several decades that she became discontented. The way she is drawn is reminiscent to me of the Japanese Manga style with huge emotive eyes and dainty features. It works well I think, and adds to the doll-like feeling of her, where the contrast is between her beautiful appearance and horrific bloodthirsty nature. She runs rings around poor Louis convincing him that what he wants is what she wants and he's despair at times is very evident in the way he is drawn, clearly dejected and depressed compared to Claudia's domineering ways and Lestat's arrogance. The clothing they all wear is typically historical in appearance with flamboyant frills and flounces on Claudia's dresses with extravagant shirts and tight breeches and boots for the men. The rooms and buildings are also clearly depicted from the past with vast rooms, blazing open fires and chaise lounge type sofas. When outside the buildings seem overshadowed by gloom except when brightness is needed, such as the theatre in Paris where even through using monotone we can imagine the blazing lights shining out of the windows.

The story takes very little time to read and for a quick reader such as myself it doesn't offer much by way of storyline entertainment but the value in these books ( I assume ) is the exquisite illustrations which must have taken unimaginable time to do. Each page is constructed a bit like a comic with between mostly 3 and 6 separate illustrations on each page, with the characters speaking via traditional balloon text. Here I do have a criticism as I found the text a little too small and also very faint to be able to read it easily. I know the value is in the drawings but I would have liked clearer text too.

The book is priced at £9.65 for 256 pages on Amazon, although its recommended price is higher. I can't say how this is for value as its not a field I have experience in. I can also see the value in graphic novels of encouraging reluctant readers to enjoy books with its "comic" style format and easy to follow drawings and to me anything that gets people reading is to be encouraged - books are a magical world of imagination. If you've a reluctant reader in the family or you love graphic novels, vampires and gorgeously illustrated books then this is one worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous illustrations and story telling., 24 Nov 2012
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (Hardcover)
Claudia's Story is a retelling of Interview with the Vampire, from the viewpoint of Claudia, and presented in a gorgeous graphic novel.

For those not familiar with the books, Claudia is just a child when turned into a vampire. She's looked after by Lestat and Louis, two very different vampires. As she grows in mind, but not in body, she comes to love one and hate the other, whilst questioning her life, her kind, and her future.

I would imagine that most people interested in this book will be existing fans of the series, but I came to it with a different perspective, as someone with no real knowledge.

The artwork in the book is wonderful. It has a general sepia tone to it, but with splashes of colour when blood and fire are involved, which stand out in a stunning way. There is great detail within the drawings, along with the manga feel, a great combination.

I'm fairly new to graphic novels, and I'm always concerned whether they can portray a story in enough detail, but this one has me converted. Although this is Claudia's story, I also felt Lestat and Louis were richly portrayed.

Not only does the horror come across well, thanks to the rich graphics and use of colour, but there's a sensuality to it as well.

This really should appeal to many people. For existing readers of the series, it offers a new viewpoint, and for those curious about it, it's a great introduction. Readers of graphic novels should find plenty to love, and those unsure about the format may just find themselves converted.

Stunning, rich in detail, horrific and sensual.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and effective artwork, 23 Nov 2012
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (Hardcover)
Claudia is just a child when the vampire Lestat turns her, condemning her to an eternity trapped in a child's body. As her love for Louis strengthens, so does her hatred of Lestat. This is her story.

Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story is a graphic novel adapted from Anne Rice's novel by Ashley Marie Witter. I would imagine that the target audience for this book are going to be existing fans so I won't go into the story too much. Claudia's very nature is contradictory; her childhood is stolen from her yet she will never grow into a woman. Inside she is a predator, but the world still treats her as a child. It really is a heartbreaking tale.

The beautiful sepia artwork has a sketchy feeling but Ashley captures expressions perfectly. The splashes of blood red are vivid and really do make the pages look bloody. I absolutely love this use of colour, it's so effective. One thing that is a little weak is her representation of hands. Sometimes they look like deformed claws and whilst not the focus of the images, once I noticed them my eyes kept going there.

If you were inclined to pick up this book with no knowledge of Interview with the Vampire, you might find Louis a bit of a wishy washy character. I imprinted what I already knew onto him as I read but I don't think he is developed at all except for Claudia's feelings. The emotion in the drawings of Lestat convey a lot more; enough to fill in the gaps.

Review copy provided by publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have a few graphic novel versions of this series ..., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (Hardcover)
I have a few graphic novel versions of this series and this is a welcomed edition especially since it's Claudia's point of view

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful graphic novel telling a story that I know and ..., 25 July 2014
This review is from: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (Hardcover)
Absolutely beautiful graphic novel telling a story that I know and love. Would highly recommend to any Anne Rice fans

1.0 out of 5 stars A way to part fans from their money for nothing new, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (Hardcover)
This is a graphic novel of IWTV it doesnt tell claudias side or add anything new total waste of money if your looking for a new story in the vampire chronicles. Rice should be ashamed making a quick buck whilst giving nothing in return.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story (Hardcover)
I have to admit I'm only half way through so far and have found it disappointing and I don't anticipate finishing it. I'm not crazy about the artwork (has a manga look to it which I have always hated and unfortunately it seems to be becoming more prevalent in animation too) - the graphic novels/comics of Body Thief and The Vampire Lestat were much better - and the storyline so far is basically that of IWTV and that is a pretty major flaw. IWTV was Louis' point of view, as I understood it this would be Claudia's. Anyone familiar with Merrick (which I haven't read for a while so please correct me if I'm wrong) will know that Claudia was using Louis against Lestat because she knew she couldn't turn Lestat against Louis. She played on Louis' grief over the death of his mortal daughter. She kept a diary and schemed which one she could get rid of. Half way through there is no mention of this or hint at it. It is basically a cross between the film and first novel, I was looking forward to a very different view point akin to Lestat's take on those years in 'The Vampire Lestat' (e.g. the waterfront prostitutes weren't as innocent as Louis believed) , but if you've read IWTV or seen the movie you'll glean nothing new from this and it seems to ignore the facts later revealed in Merrick.

I'm also not keen about the format - a small hardback book, it's just not right for a graphic novel. If you want to read a good graphic novel of the Vampire Chronicles go for the two earlier ones, there are also graphic novels of Ramses and Servant of the Bones available which are worth looking at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Sep 2014
Excelent , beautiful

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT WANT I THOUGHT IT WAS, 29 Oct 2013
I made the mistake not looking into the book before I brought it. I just searched for the story and ordered it. It's a comic which is not what I wanted. I have not read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pls more where this came from!, 26 Dec 2012
I only wish it could have been longer and that there were more adaptations of the chronicles like this one. A dark gift ;)

Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice (Hardcover - 22 Nov 2012)