1,310

on 6 August 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book an I am look in for ward to reading some more by Neil Gaiman! You feel like you are transported to another world where anything is possible and that is exactly what I want from a book!
on 11 July 2014
Really enjoy Neil Gaiman's writing style having given both American Gods and Good Omens a read before this. Happy to say that the Ocean at the End of the Lane was just as good a read. Felt that perhaps the first few chapters were a little slow, but the novel soon becomes an enthralling one with a very good pace.
on 2 July 2013
I won't summarise the plot, the key points or the characters. That's been done here and will be done here again.
This is a beautiful, well written book about memory, growing up, growing old, loneliness, alienation, truth, adults and children, money and the pressures of adult life and friendship.

I read it in two seatings and I'm sure the book will stay with me for a very long time.
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2014
I enjoy Neil Gaiman's books so I was looking forward to reading another one. The wait was worth it in my opinion. It only took me a couple of days to read it. I know it's not a long book but even so it's an indication of how easy I found it to read & how difficult I found it to put down.

In a nutshell it's about a man who in the midst of berievement, retraces his childhood steps & regains (albeit briefly) some important childhood memories. (Have you ever thought you could remember something from your childhood days but wasn't certain if it was a true memory or a dream?)

Yes it's an adult fairy tale so if that is not your thing then don't buy this book. It is, however, very typical of Gaiman's work, a sort of lightweight sibling to American Gods, Anansi Boys, etc, but similar to Stardust. I totally recommend it.
on 11 January 2015
Sometimes being in book group is frustrating because you sigh and think "why do I have to read this book?". But it is for moments like this that it makes it all worthwhile. This book is magical, haunting, exciting, disturbing. Of course there will be those who question exactly what each image and event signifies, who need to take everything literally and need precise definitions and explanations for everything they experience. They should not bother with this - it will only frustrate them. Nor should they try to understand quantum physics. It would have the same effect.
on 25 August 2014
I don't often give books 5 stars, they have to live up to my all time favourites that spans a lot of reading - but this book deserves them. I've never read Neil Gaiman before - why on earth not!? - and I didn't know anything about this book before picking it up, I just liked the title and (sorry - judging) cover :)

It's a beautiful, dark, lyrical, artistic rendition of a story. If you're looking for a theoretical, fact-based book, don't read it. If you don't mind blurring the edges of reality and suspending belief for a while, read it. It'll be worth it.
on 28 December 2013
This story is amazing, entirely odd and superbly written, I recommend it to anyone wanting to read a good book, but, more than that, anyone who wants to revisit childhood in a thrilling and even slightly terrifying way.
on 21 April 2015
A very thought provoking and interesting read. When childhood memories become enmeshed in the fabric of an alternative reality, or is it the true reality, and the unusual can seem like an everyday occurrence to a child. The easy belief systems that adults usually forget with their more logical humdrum life. This book encapsulates the innocent faith of childhood and brings it back to us, with teeth bared.
Brilliant read. Thank you again, Mr Gaiman
on 25 February 2014
Someone in my book club chose this book for our latest read. Whilst I enjoyed the book "ok" it was a bit like a Harry Potter for adults type book in my opinion.
I bought the kindle version and at £5.99 it was the shortest and most 'expensive' book we've read.
Good story line and well written but just too far fetched for me personally.
on 17 August 2014
Yet another wonderful book by Neil Gaiman, and another one I couldn't put down. How cruel it is to write books that one can't put down then let the reader get to end being sorry they've finished it.
This is a wonderful tale of things that happened to a 7 year old boy who trusted some ageless ladies to make everything right again. It's full of wonderful ideas and is all so plausible, things happening just on the edge of reason and sight and belief. There truly IS an ocean at the end of the lane. I so wish I could be there.