Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 June 2014
Very enjoyable series - having read the first three books I had to read the next in the series. It is going to be a bit expensive though because now I want to find out what happens in the next book...and the next! An interesting set of characters all of whom grow and change with every book plus well plotted stories. I am going to have to pace myself!!
on 11 October 2013
Ok, this story is somewhat improbable in some places. Emily seems to drop in and out of the imperial harem like a grocery store. But nevertheless it's a fun read and the author clearly did her homework on Ottoman Turkey.
on 5 March 2015
I am reading this book at the moment and am enjoying it, it is a bit worn but it has been a library book it bit more worn than other second hand books I have bought but it will do. I enjoy this series. Anne
on 7 November 2013
I would recommend this book to any one who likes historical novels. I loved it, it had twists and turns and a quite unexpected ending. Brilliant read.
on 18 December 2013
This is the first in a series of historical romances. As such I found it weak in plot and altogether rather disappointing.
on 22 November 2011
I really loved the first three 'Lady Emily' books in the series and was truly looking forward to this book. To my dissapointment, I thought it was awful.

Lady Emily is no longer charming, vivacious and willing to learn. She is bossy, self absorbed and selfish to the enth degree. I have no idea what Colin sees in her anymore. I found their relationship in this book tedious and dreary. She's actually becoming a bit painful, and I find that I don't really like her very much.

The mystery in this book was disjointed and silly and I think that Tasha Alexander really struggled to capture a sense of place in Istanbul. The hareem and the characters within were not real to me, and it lacked the realism and pace of her previous book 'A Fatal Waltz' set in Vienna. The culprit was blindingly obvious and the whole 'backstory' a little thin.

All in all, after this book I'm not too sure I will continue to pursue my relationship with Lady Emily, and that makes me a little sad as we started out with such promise!
on 6 May 2015
I really enjoyed the insight into Turkish life. This is another highly entertaining read.
on 8 April 2015
Lady Emily is a very likeable character and the stories are a delight.
on 6 March 2015
great story; as always very well told
on 2 June 2015
Enjoying this book a lot