5.0 out of 5 stars Best New Quiz Book in Years!
'The Mammoth' series of fact and fiction books has at last got around to producing a quiz volume - and verteran quiz-setter - Nick Holt deserves all the plaudits for compiling such a huge, entertaining, often challenging, work.

In fact, I found it to be the best book of its type since 'On the Tip of My Tongue' by David Gentle - published four years ago...
Published 16 months ago by G. J. Oxley

3.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult questions
Loved this book for quizzing with the family but must say the questions are very difficult. So it would be ideal if you are a hardcore quiz fan like the book says. If not then I wouldn't recommend it.
Published 12 months ago by Sara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best New Quiz Book in Years!, 12 Sept. 2013
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mammoth Quiz Book: Over 6,000 questions in 400 quizzes to tax even hardcore quiz fanatics (Mammoth Books) (Paperback)

The six thousand questions are split into general knowledge and themed rounds. The latter are presented in a variety of formats - straight questions, mix and match and multiple choice. The questions are all original: you'll be hard-pressed to spot (m)any of those hoary old quiz favourites in here - Mr Holt has obviously carried out an AWFUL lot of research because most of these questions appear freshly-minted.

In other words, he clearly hasn't pilfered hundreds of questions and ideas from the abundance of other quiz books on the market, and then banged them all together without care or thought - as numerous others have done before him.

Also, unlike a lot of those 'Ultimate 15,000 Questions Pub Quiz Book'-type tomes on the market, it isn't full of daft, sometimes unanswerable, questions.

Mistakes? I've trawled through a substantial part of this book over the two weeks I've had it (maybe 40% of it) and I've only spotted one or two errors - which is pretty fantastic, believe me. And one of those was only the misuse of the Latin term 'sic' - hardly a major criticism!

The author also tells you in his introduction that he doesn't mind if you use it to set your own quizzes for use in pubs. Jolly decent of him!

So thank you, Nick, for provding a book that is a joy to pick up whenever I'm feeling bored, or simply need a break from some of the heavy factual reading I'm into these days.

If you only get around to buying one quiz book this year, this is definitely the one to go for - and it would be a bargain at twice the price. Very much recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for quizzers, 8 Nov. 2013
An excellent book for compiling quizzes. Probably the best one I've bought. So many preset rounds. Highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars ongoing use, 7 May 2014
Bought for family quizzes & have found it very good.
It will be used till exhausted. No complaints about the
content.

4.0 out of 5 stars good quiz book, 10 Mar. 2014
excellent for quick quizzes and family fun. I wanted mine for a local quiz event and couldn't find anywhere on the internet to source a mixture of good and witty questions so bought this book and was really pleased with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Mammoth Quiz Book, 8 Mar. 2014
A must for all Pub Quizzers. Packed full of categories and a good range of questions both really hard and not so hard. Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky!, 31 July 2014
I've recently taken up pub quizzes and quiz competitions, so decided to get a couple books to train myself up. This one wasn't lying when it said it would tax even the hardcore quiz addict! The quizzes are hard and challenging, it's a real effort! If you're new to quizzes, or just want some light fun for a family party or something, I recommend something like Collins Pub Quiz books.
I also didn't really like the way that they'd laid the out the quizzes and answers; the book is huge and thick, and they have maybe 10 quizzes, then a couple pages of answers for the quizzes. I felt like a more traditional layout would have been better, with all the quizzes, then all the questions at the back.
Overall though, it is a wonderful quiz book, very good and difficult.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult questions, 15 Jan. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas comes but once a year - and when it does, it brings a riot and 6000 questions with it, 23 Oct. 2013
For reasons that I have yet to come up with a rational explanation for, I shall be spending the all-too-imminent festive period in a cottage, in the middle of nowhere, in the company of a group of people who are generally intolerant of one another, do not ordinarily have a good word to say about one another and who will doubtless blame me for the resultant debacle because I was the bloke who dreamed up such a ridiculously optimistic scheme in the first place. Still, you can't choose your family, can you? Well, you can choose your ex-wife I suppose... I wonder why on earth I ever decided to invite her? And, more to the point, I wonder what on earth ever made her decide to say 'yes'...?

As the organiser of the thing, I have obviously been scouring the planet (well, my local shops at least) looking for suitable means of occupying these people and of thus preventing their minds from dwelling upon the myriad personality clashes that might otherwise come to the fore: and, let us not forget, that additional little beef with me for being the organiser. It was under that sort of intense personal pressure that I recently made the acquaintance of this book.

I've experienced many different quiz books in my time. It has to be said that most of them, for one reason or another, leave me feeling as dense as a bowl of custard. But not this one. This one runs something of a parallel operation; 'Hardcore quizzers' have a target to achieve in each individual grilling, but there are also far more realistic numbers to aim for by those innocent quizzing 'novices' who may just stumble upon this book and want to know more. Mind you, this tome is two inches thick; if you did happen to 'stumble' over it you'd probably be more interested in getting yourself down to casualty than leafing through its 788 pages.

So, we have here 400 quizzes incorporating more than 6000 questions. But these are not just any old questions - oh no! The book is divided into sections of eight quizzes, each of which contains two 'General Knowledge' rounds together with six more specialised rounds. As well as the usual categorical suspects, Nick Holt gives us the likes of 'Costume Drama', 'Sherlock Holmes', 'Comedy Movies', 'Alter Egos', 'Soundtracks', 'Scandals' and 'Bond Movies'. And that is only scratching the surface of the various different methods by which Mr Holt can help us gauge our quizzing skills... or severe lack of them I should think, in the case of one or two of us. No? Oh well, that must just be me then.

A lot of the questions relate to sport or pop culture. But, as Mr Holt himself says in his introduction, anyone has the potential to be able to answer those sorts of questions. You don't need no education to be able to give the names of twenty different albums from the 1990s and 2000s for instance, just from being provided with the names of three of the tracks from each one. I only got one right there - but then, I am as dense as a bowl of custard.

The arrangement of the quizzes into these little chunks also means that the answers to the questions are provided at the end of each eight-quiz segment. Given the thickness of the book, it would have been very awkward indeed to have had those answers all shoved together right at the back of it, so that's one of the extra little user-friendly things that I particularly noticed. The other is the constant presence of the compiler in the thick of these intellectual battles with you. Some books amount to no more than a list of questions and their associated answers, but not this one. It almost feels as though Nick Holt is right there alongside you, what with his cheery little introductions to each quiz and the peculiarly informal and almost friendly way in which he phrases his fiendish interrogations. 'Easy is Boring', that's what it says on the back cover. Well, speaking as a man who has now read pretty much all of the questions in here I have to say, I do agree with that. Especially since, now I've seen (although that doesn't necessarily mean I remember) all the answers to them, I shall be forced to take on the relatively safe role of quizmaster / peace envoy on my guests' behalf for the whole of the festive period. It's a dangerous job, no question - but at least I won't be forced to be part of anybody's quizzing team, thus setting myself up as Yuletide cannon fodder for (a) any opponents we might somehow miraculously beat, or (b) more than likely, my own team-mate once he / she realises I am as dense as a bowl of custard. That also means I will have this weighty tome to hand to use as a weapon in self-defence, if and when things turn ugly.

Although I am pretty confident that with this book's skill and my chutzpah, this Christmas will be an absolute riot. Well, hopefully not in the literal sense although, given how competitive one or two of my family members are, frankly anything's possible. Nick Holt rather graciously gives his blessing for his questions to be used 'at a pub or a school or a social club'... he doesn't specifically mention using them at an organised mass brawl and slanging match but maybe I can start a new trend there?

Oh, I do have one rather significant bone to pick with Mr Holt, and I think it is a legitimate grievance this - the quiz that is entitled 'Doctor Who' contains twenty questions, of which only a quarter (and that's being exceptionally generous) deal with the original eight doctors. Now, for the modern viewer, that may very well be fine and dandy; but some of us don't speak 'modern' all that fluently, my ex-wife being one of them (oh my God - have I just suggested that she is old?!!).

More specifically, some of us may well have had plans to use this particular quiz as a Yuletide conversation starter with our ex-wife. An ex-wife who thinks the sun shines out of Jon Pertwee's bouffant and who might therefore have been slightly less aggressive towards any poor man's Bob Holness had she been able to answer at least a couple of questions that involved Mr Pertwee and his tenure as the Third Doctor. As it stands, I can't see this quiz being any use to me whatsoever in my quest to stay on the right side of my former beloved. Mind you, I'm so used to being on the wrong side of her that I daresay I'd feel a bit uneasy were I ever to experience life anywhere else, so perhaps I ought to just button my lip, hm...?

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 July 2014
Had all I needed for a quick quiz

4.0 out of 5 stars Mammoth quiz book, 24 Jun. 2014
I organise the village quiz twice a year and I found this book very useful,although I would have prefered all of the answers to be together at the end of the book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›