4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Book
I enjoyed this book, but I have to say it wasn't her best. I have read all of the Hamish McBeth books so far and I've enjoyed all of them. Some more than others.

I did find the character of Josie McSween very annoying. She needed a good kick up the a**e and to grow up.

Published on 17 Mar 2011 by Mrs. A. L. Maddocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Hamish and the lunchtime disco
Initially I quite enjoyed this instalment of the adventures of Highland policeman Hamish Macbeth, as he struggles to avoid the amorous attentions of a WPC appointed to serve with him at Lochdubh station.

Published on 1 Aug 2011 by T. Bently

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Book, 17 Mar 2011

I find I can always rely on Hamish to cheer me up if I want a book to uplift me when feeling under the weather and this book was no exception, but I do feel that Hamish needs something to focus on. Afterall he's the only person I know that can stay 35 years of age over a period of 20 years. Maybe it's time he got married and had a family? Is it time for Priscilla to be put in the microwave on defrost and become Hamish's wife?

Good book, but have read better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hamish and the lunchtime disco, 1 Aug 2011
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Unfortunately, by the time we hear how the victim of an unpleasant St Valentine's Day surprise shuts up the office of a local wildlife sanctuary to attend a lunch-time discotheque, my attention was starting to wane as well as my credulity.

Sadly escapades such as stitching drugs in the hem of a skirt just served to remind me of earlier books in the series, with which this compares a little unfavourably.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cosy and Funny Mystery, 25 Feb 2010
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
'Death of a Valentine' is the 25th Hamish Macbeth book in the series and my first encounter with Hamish and the villagers of Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands.
The characters, the countryside and the plot seem quite quaint and almost old-fashioned yet MC Beaton has such a way with words that I was soon engrossed in what could be called a real 'cosy' mystery.
The murder mystery unfolds with quite a few twists and turns and each character is introduced and drawn so well - the addition of the local Scottish brogue only adds to the plot and the characterisation.
Josie McSween, the new police constable is determined from the outset to win over Hamish's heart, whilst Hamish is determined to avoid romance at all costs.
I enjoyed my first taste of Hamish - the humour, the descriptive writing and the creepy mystery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hamish Meets a Determined Suitor, 9 Feb 2010
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies." -- Proverbs 31:10

If you haven't read any other books in this series, don't start with this one. You won't appreciate the series' background and character development, which add at least one star to a reader's enjoyment.

Death of a Valentine delivers a double dose of romantic mystery, first when a local beauty queen, Annie Fleming, receives an unexpected valentine, and second when Hamish's new constable, Josie McSween, decides that she would like to become Mrs. Macbeth. In the middle of these machinations, Hamish frequently bumps into his former loves, Priscilla Hallburton-Smythe and Elspeth Grant, with comic consequences.

Poor Hamish doesn't do well with promotions, and as this book opens he is once again Sergeant Macbeth. Promotions mean having a constable under foot and the threat of further promotion that would require living in Strathbane, a fate worse than death from Macbeth's point of view. He's surprised when they send him a woman as the new constable, and he's not at all pleased. Josie McSween was smitten at the first sight of Hamish after hearing his reputation for crime solving and has asked for the post so that she can gain Hamish's attention. How will she compete with Hamish's love of his animals and the easy life?

The mystery valentine aspect of the story is one of the better crimes to unravel in this humorous series. I thought it was a five-star effort.

The hunting of Macbeth by Josie McSween is primarily a spoof on romance novels. If you like extreme humor where a woman goes to the kind of extremes that men sometimes do to attract a woman, you'll find this to be a very jolly story. I thought it was over the top for my taste and could have been reduced in scope and length to good effect.

The story is one of the very best for clearly portraying all of Hamish Macbeth's many character flaws and attributes. If you enjoy seeing Hamish pushed to the brink, you'll find much to enjoy in Death of a Valentine.

Happy Valentine's Day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth) (Paperback)
excellent products well packaged and delivered as promised Very good purchases

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 4 July 2014
rubbish

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth) (Paperback)
love these books something to get your teeth into without them being too heavey but always with a twist in the tail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hamish wins again, 15 Jan 2014
A local beauty queen is murdered so Sergeant MacBeth and his new constable Josie McSween investigate. Unfortunately for Hamish Josie's mind is on marriage to him not crime. Needless to say Hamish sorts it all out, except his love life. A clever plot and sly humour make this a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep these books coming!, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth) (Paperback)
M C Beaton has a wonderful character in Hamish MacBeth. Each twist and turn keeps you on your toes.
Delivery was very quick and the product was as described.

4.0 out of 5 stars Death of..., 20 Aug 2013
I enjoyed this book because the story was interesting and I liked the characters and the parts they played. I thought the ending was good and I love being strung along with Hamish's love life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth)
Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth) by M.C. Beaton (Paperback - 28 Mar 2013)
5.59