5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and really chilling
Published 1 hour ago by John Hopper

3.0 out of 5 stars These ghosts are anything but silent!
Published 14 months ago by Mrs. A. F. Rhodes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars These ghosts are anything but silent!, 27 Oct 2013
I have been a fan of Jonathan Aycliffe for the last year or so. I have read a few of his ghost story novels and bought this one on Kindle as as soon as it was available. Like the previous reviewer (who also gave it 3 stars) I too felt the book had a strong beginning and middle but fizzled out somewhat and the ending felt rather rushed and under resolved. It felt all rather shortened and underexplained. There were some great moments and descriptions but the sum of the parts didn't make a wow ghostly read. The current day character of Charles Lancaster doesn't get developed and I felt there was more to say about his life afterwards. However the plot kept me reading and in particular Octavia's character was very endearing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but lacking, 29 May 2014
still searching (MK UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Silence of Ghosts (Paperback)
And what is lacking is the quality of `under your skin ness'; it just doesn't `cut the mustard' as far as being a good ghost story is concerned and I use a very good ghost story as my bench mark; i.e. Susan Hill's `The Woman in Black', in which the mounting feeling of malevolent forces at work is palpable. Basically, it's a nice story about a nice guy, with despicable parents and dubious ancestors, who does his bit in the war and meets a nice a girl with whom he falls in love. And I enjoyed reading it. A dark old country house is involved and the bit about them `living happily ever after' could, I suppose, be disputed. One of the plusses is his delightful little sister, Octavia.

I'm a big fan of Aycliffe's and the experience of reading an average novel will not deter me from reading more of his stuff: but I'd much rather read new good quality stuff than new average quality stuff or re-read older good quality stuff!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Silence of Ghosts (Paperback)
I have always loved Mr Aycliffe's ghost stories, they are truly chilling and sometimes uncomfortable! So when this new novel was announced I pre-ordered straight away and once it arrived I actually was in the process of reading another book, but put that one aside so I could get straight into this latest (and long overdue) Aycliffe book.

Unfortunately, although it does read at times like previous novels by the author, it comes across as an author who has run out of steam and ideas. I feel that everything supernatural is revealed too early on, and the main characters don't seem to be too bothered by what's happening, and in turn this makes the reader not too bothered about what's happening either!

After reading this I bought the re-issued copy of 'The Matrix' just to see if maybe my own tastes had changed, but I ploughed through that book and it still had the power to chill!

Actually in hindsight, Aycliffe's last book which I believe was 'A Garden Lost in Time' also lacked the scares of its predecessor's.

All in all though I still give this book three stars purely based on my love of the authors previous books and because he has another ghost story coming out in the near future which I hope will have the chill factor of the older books!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beginning and middle, poor and ill thought through end., 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Silence of Ghosts (Paperback)
Jonathan Aycliffe has been one of the best English writers of recent years. 'The Lost' and 'The Matrix' number amongst some of my favourite (and most terrifying) ghost stories in my library, along with 'The Woman in Black' and 'The Little Hand' both by Susan Hill. However, this recent novel, though starting well, and having an okay middle, fizzles out at the end, with the natural horror of the story and the pent-up fear losing momentum before finally dying a quiet death in the final couple of pages. The ending is also unexpected, but for all the wrong reasons.

Sadly this kind of good beginning and middle, but poor ending, has become all too common a feature in British horror writing, both Susan Hill ('Dolly') and Adam Nevill ('House of Small Shadows') have written what on first reading were cracking good horror stories, until one got to the end and realised that the ending owed little to the rest of the novel. What pleased me about 'The Matrix' or 'Woman in Black' is that one is left with a sense of unresolved horror at the end, with this novel there's no such lack of resolution, or sense of disturbed peace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Naomi's Room, 25 Jan 2014
This is the third of his books that I've read and have the same gripe about all of them...they all keep me hooked, reading late into the the night. The characters are on the whole believable, the plots, interesting, but all of them, towards the end of the book tend to fizzle out. This one in particular had me rereading the last couple of chapters to make sure I hadn't missed something. It's like he loses enthusiasm and interest at the end of the stories and throws the ending together to get it over with. I'm left with unanswered questions and loose ends that don't completely tie up, with that "eh? Is that it" feeling. In saying that, it's still well worth a read if you're a fan of this genre . Would advise reading this one first as it didn't match my expectations. the Matrix has a new take on an old story, while Naomi's Room was the first book in a while where the main character doesn't do what I expected
Download it/read it, it's still a good read

3.0 out of 5 stars Ending is a let down, 20 Jan 2014
The book started out really well and had a gripping story line but as the book goes on it gets really dull and I found myself reading one chapter then reading another a few days later I was not really interested in the end. The ending of the book is a complete let down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Laborious chiller rather than thriller., 10 Aug 2014
I was really looking forward to reading this book as I love a good chiller; however, I was a little disappointed by the story.

It took a while to get going; I picked up and put the book down several times before sticking with it. The journal style worked well, but it was occasionally laborious and I often wished there was a bit more pace.

The start and ending seemed to be slightly contradictory and the story seemed to run out of steam at the end.

I think Mr Aycliffe may be a fan of Susan Hill given the name Drablow used in this book and the way the ghosts seemed to be keen to lure other children to their deaths, otherwise it was an original, if not slightly boring read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and really chilling, 26 Dec 2014
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
An excellent, tense and quite horrifying ghost story set in the Lake District during the Second World War, with some sympathetic central characters and some very cold and distant ones - the parents of the main male character Dominic Lancaster have a lot to answer for. It also shed some interesting and depressing light on how disability was viewed at the time - the negative attitude sometimes shown towards Dominic's missing left leg, lost in battle (even by himself), and his young sister Octavia's deafness. The main part of the narrative consists of Dominic's wartime diaries being read by his grandson Charles. The short concluding part of the framing story in the present day left me a bit baffled and I wasn't sure at first exactly how he finally exorcised the ghostly presence in Hallinhag House, but it seems as though the ghosts were still there but had become benevolent, as the house is once more habitable. A very good book and I will read more by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Silence of Ghosts, 22 Feb 2014
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Silence of Ghosts (Paperback)
I’ve read a few of this author’s works over the years, and they’re always rather chilling and ghastly. In this book, we read the journal from 1940 of Dominic Lancaster, son of a well-to-do family, who is injured and loses a leg in the course of the Second World War and is invalided together with his deaf sister Octavia to a family home by the Lakes. There he strikes up a relationship with his nurse Rose, but their days start to be haunted by apparitions, apparently directing their energies through Octavia.

Although this is not a large book (a little over 200 pages) it does take a while to wind itself up to a level of menace and suspense. The first part of the book is largely place- and people-setting, but this is necessary to get the right tone for the book once the ‘spooky’ tone of the narrative starts.

This is a great read; another great spooky story by Aycliffe, which I read from beginning to end riveted to the story as it unfolded. Definitely recommended; if you enjoy a good spooky thriller then you will love this; if you haven’t read any by Aycliffe before I can thoroughly recommend his works, including Naomi’s Room, The Vanishment, and Whispers in the Dark.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange novel, 9 July 2014
D. M. Entwistle "Maz" (Cheshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Unsure about this story. It seemed too matter of fact and lacking in atmosphere. A good premise but no suspense. It did improve towards the end and I did want to know what happened to the characters. But overall disappointing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Silence of Ghosts
The Silence of Ghosts by Jonathan Aycliffe (Paperback - 17 Oct 2013)