5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of terror.
My love of Aycliffe's work began with his Book The Lost which I bought by chance simply because I liked the cover. I hurriedly began hunting his other novels down and enthusiastically recommending his work to friends. Very few authors write ghost stories and creeping tales of dread and terror as well as he does. If you like M.R. James then you'll probably like Aycliffe,...
Published 19 months ago by Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Well & the Fell to Pieces
The first three quarters of this book were quite brilliant. It was a suspense filled ghost story to rival Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black" until suddenly it all went to pieces.
The beginning of the story is simple enough with the picture of a happy academic couple just approaching Christmas when their daughter is 4 years old. It all goes to pieces when their...
Published 6 months ago by DJF

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A potboiler than tries to be too many different things, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
This story is quite ridiculous- it twists and turns in so many directions that you find yourself spinning like a top trying to keep hold of the threads. I didn't feel like I knew anything much about the characters and there seemed to be gaping plot holes that Aycliffe doesn't even attempt to cover up. What starts out as a mystery becomes a kind of ghost story and then just becomes strange and unbelievable.

The writing is- at times- clunky and just plain bad. As I mentioned the characterization is poor to the point that Laura is an integral part of the story but is so two dimensional as to hardly be worth writing about.

What I think this suffers from is trying to do too many things. Is it a psychological thriller? Is it a Victorian ghost story? Is it a mystery? It doesn't know and neither do I. It had me turning the pages but more from morbid curiosity to see where on earth it would end up. All in all a strange book which brings little to the genre.

1.0 out of 5 stars Naomis Room, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
Interesting to begin with. Abit silly towards the end, as bit far fetched, but it hasnt put me off reading other books by Jonathan Aycliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy yet good read for anybody who is a fan of psychological horror, however the ending did fall short of the rest of the book, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge fan of horror, especially the psychological kind that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. I have to say that this book certainly ticked all the boxes for me, drawing me in, making me feel compelled to keep reading and not put the book down. The author did a sterling job of painting a picture in the readers mind of the scenes, the back story and the plot. It genuinely is a great and yet equally creepy read. To the point where after reading the book it did play on my mind a little while after. I would have given this story the full five stars, HOWEVER I was disappointed towards the end of the book. The pace and style of writing seemed to morph and change, it felt rushed, unfinished, like the author just wanted to tie it up as quickly as possible. This was in stark contrast to the first three quarters of the book, so does leave the reader feeling a little cheated. The ending was the weakest part, however it is still a good read, but would have been much better if the same amount of effort had been placed in the latter part as was placed in the rest of the story,

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 Jun 2014
A good read on holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed reading. Many unexpected turns . Would definitely recommend if you enjoy this genre.
Looking forward to reading more by Jonathan Aycliffe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
This book started off with loads of promise and that's how it remained. It wasn't bad but I felt like there was a great story bursting to get out that was kept behind a mediocre one and the ending for me was depressing.
Not a book I'll read again but I didn't think I'd totally wasted my money or time xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant read. Edge of the seat. Very dark! Really well written. Gripping from start to finish! Highly recommended read! Haunting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Naomi s room, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
A first rate creepy horror,with a twist at the end that you don't expect as nothing in the storyline hints at what happens.A very,very good read so well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great horror read, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
One of the best books I have read in ages! Apparently it has been around for a while so spurred on by the good reviews on amazon I bought it . I read it in 2 sittings only because I had to go to work as well , without giving the ending away it a shocker ! That's best way to say it . Loved it !

5.0 out of 5 stars I got scared, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
It gets harder to truly scare people nowadays. We all watch scary movies, with scary music, scary jump moments. Getting pretty much immune to it by now. Yet that book scared the life out of me ! I had never actually been scared by a book. Had to turn a few more lights on and take some breaks to finish it (in 1 day) as it got really uncomfortable sometimes.
I don't agree there is more gory details than necessary, these set the mood and atmosphere of the book. Without them, the evil depicted in that book wouldn't scare as much.
Highly recommend !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›

Naomi's Room
Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe (Paperback - 17 Oct 2013)
5.59