Format: Paperback|Change

I will start by saying that if you enjoyed Shades of Milk & Honey then the chances are you will enjoy this just as much. If a historical fiction novel with a generous of helping of magic doesn't sound like your thing, then don't read it but it will be your loss.

This is a style of writing that is definitely in homage to Jane Austen and it is done incredibly well. The situations that Jane finds herself in bring her to question her very upbringing and the rigidity of society's rules for women. Jane is very lucky in that she has her very own Mr Darcy in the shape of her husband, Mr David Vincent. Just like Mr Darcy, you learn more about Vincent as the book progresses - as Jane learns something, so does the reader. He is a very deep and introverted character who is well worth the time to get to know and is the perfect match for Jane.

Jane and Vincent have to face the trials and tribulations of marriage as well as being surrounded by a war not of their making. Just who can they trust?

This story will wrap you up in its verse and style of writing and take you to an alternate historical period. I have really enjoyed reading both of these books and will definitely be keeping and re-reading them. Simply beautiful.

Kindle Daily Deal - 29th April 2014
on 13 March 2016
The marketing team deserve a raise for the fantastic covers they have utilised for this series. Pity the contents are so drab.
Yet again, the fact that this series is inspired by Jane Austen is shoved down the readers throat in the blurb. Huge shoes to fill and this author fails dismally.
Where is the charm, the wit?
Instead we are left with an h, who doesn't know if she is weak or strong. She whines and worries over ridiculous things and the author makes her seem ungrateful - you can't stick to the rules of this society - male dominant / female submissive and then have the h complain about it constantly.
The h expresses her feelings constantly, every single one.
She has a husband who respects and adores her - but is this enough for this country miss? Oh course not. The h, doesn't fit the story - or visa versa.
The constraints of Jane Austen's world do not fit this character. And in short order I found myself wanting to slap Jane continuously. This was a dnf for me at the 50% mark. Don't care what happens to her, she is undeserving and too hard to like.
on 9 August 2014
Like the first book in the series (Shades of Milk and Honey), this starts slowly, with a lot of sightseeing-style story-telling. But once the action starts, it is quite frenetic, particularly as Jane tries to get Vincent to take her seriously. She is left to save the day, and I must admit I was surprised at the ending.
on 14 April 2016
I really enjoyed the first book in the series - the Austen pastiche with a hint of fantasy was very accurate and very clever - but this one was better. The world building seems richer and more inhabited and the story goes a long way from Austen's middle class matchmaking into high society and adventure.
on 10 May 2014
Good easy read, ideal for holiday or a lazy weekend!

Would have been interesting to go into more depth, but would read more from this author
on 3 February 2014
It was a good follow up to Shades of Milk and Honey, it is always nice to see what happens next to characters you like, but I just felt that it lacked a certain something. Maybe humour, or drama (except for the ending), also the conflict between the couple seemed artificial and contrived. Its good to read the first time, but I don't have any desire to reread it.
on 15 March 2014
After the first book, I expected a lot, but this was wonderful! I love that the author chose a less common setting for her regency period book, Belgium during a Napoleonic advance. Again, the magi is understated, just part of the characters lives, yet important to the plot. Just lovely, and I'm looking forward to reading more in this world.
on 10 July 2014
good book
on 18 May 2014
Only the second book in my whole life that I have abandoned half way through. I guess "glamour" is not for me, although I have enjoyed many books involving supernatural phenomena, this was a step too far for me.
on 2 July 2014