5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood favourite, 3 Feb 2010
Amazon Customer (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was one of my favourite books when I was nine years old and I still love it now. I think my love for it stemmed from all the descriptions of Bill and Julie moving into the basement and turning it into their home, as well as my interest in the World Wars being ignited by my dad's collections of books and videos on the subject - here was one that I could read myself!
'Fireweed' is rather unusual for a children's book in that it has a rather sad ending. Yet it still seems to be enjoyed by many children, despite its sadness, making it more unique. I hope that this book will be republished someday, but for now I have my tatty ex-library copy to treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly moving, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fireweed (Kindle Edition)
Please don't be put off from reading this wonderful book by what might be written in the foreword; I think it's a gem. The story of two young people who find each other during the Blitz and set up home together, it's one of the most moving and intense books about first love I've ever read. Set against the backdrop of London in flames, where the most extraordinary things are happening every day, Bill and Julie try to make their way unnoticed by adults. The relationship between them is powerfully and subtly described, and I found the ending heartbreaking but completely convincing. Each time I read this story, it moves me profoundly in a way I still don't entirely understand. Highly recommended, and so glad it's available on Kindle. Every new generation should be able to discover this amazing writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming, 24 Feb 2014
A wonderful, heartwarming story, I grew up with this, and read it still quite often, have passed it on to many many people, a truly magnificent story

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, 28 Sep 2007
A hauntingly realistic story of a pair of runaways alone in London and hiding from the authorities during the terrifying Blitz of 1940.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fireweed (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written through the eyes of a child, also very touching.

Fireweed
Fireweed by Jill Paton Walsh (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)