5.0 out of 5 stars Fab
I really enjoyed A world between us and was completely drawn in and fascinated by the story from the first page unit the last. It is a real example of the way in which I think historical fiction should be written and is certainly a book I shall be recommending regularly to others.

What I first,y loved about this book was the subject it covers. Even having...
Published on 4 Oct. 2012 by Kirsty at the Overflowing Library

3.0 out of 5 stars Love and Left-wing Politics
Girl falls for boy and follows him to Spain, where he is a member of the International Brigade fighting Franco. They both believe fervently in their cause and are infatuated with each other. The plot is weak and the characters lack depth but the Spanish scenes have credibility.
Published on 6 Dec. 2012 by Bernard Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 4 Oct. 2012
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)

What I first,y loved about this book was the subject it covers. Even having studied for a modern European history degree I am ashamed to admit that I knew relatively little about the Spanish civil war and actually now I feel like I should know more because I found this book and the history behind it such a fascinating read. For me it does exactly what a historical novel for young adults should do. It gives you a flavour of the historical period, setting and events and gives you enough information without over burdening you and therefore never becoming dry and dull whilst giving you a main character who you really become invested in from the first page so that you need to know more about them and the story they have to tell.

I loved the main character Felix. She is such a strong character in a quiet and unassuming way. She volunteers to go and work as a nurse in Spain on a whim following a boy she meets and suddenly finds herself in the thick of a foreign war with the lives of hundreds of men in her hands and she rises to the challenge brilliantly. The history geek in me was completely fascinated with the medical side especially when you see the ways in which Felix and the doctors around her are treating patients with brand new techniques which are literally only being used in some cases for the first time ,asking them pioneers in the field.

I really loved the love triangle that emerged as the book progresses between Felix, the boy she followed the Spain called Nat and the boy who followed her to Spain called George. I actually loved how it turned out completely.

There's so much more I could say but I don't want to spoil the twists and turns that made his book such a good read for me. It is a brilliant read and a book I will continue to recommend highly both with my book blogger and history teacher hats on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Facts blended with well crafted fiction, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)
I am not a great lover of historical books but I was intrigued by this one from the beginning. I was lucky enough to attend the Hot Key Books launch party and I got to hear the author Lydia Syson talking passionately about this book and the research she amassed while writing it. The author's passion for the Spanish Civil War made me want to read it.
The book is told in third person from three points of view, each character interlinked within the story. Felix is the main character - she is a passionate young girl who is easily led by her feelings. She falls quickly for Nat, who has powerful views on the unrest in Spain, resulting in her following in his footsteps and rushing off to join the medical team there. Felix is followed to Spain by George, who was on the verge of asking Felix to marry him before she ran off. His rash decision to chase her changes his life forever as he comes in contact with such devastation.
The book follows these three characters over a period of three years, gently weaving their stories together as their paths cross on numerous occasions. One chance meeting changed the lives of these three characters for ever.
I did find this book a little slow to get into but I'm pretty sure that is because this isn't the style of book I would normally read. However as the story progresses, I found myself completely swept away with the romance and relationships between the three characters as they struggled through adversity . It was like watching one of those epic war movies from my child hood. Simply beautiful.
I loved the contrast between life in England and life in Spain during the Civil War, it made you appreciate how very different the countries were.
I warn you now the ending of the book will require hankies. It was extremely poignant and not the ideal book to read in company if you get embarrassed by blubbering.
On reflection, I feel this book would appeal to any age. It is definitely a cross over novel which adults would enjoy just as much as teenagers. I am not sure younger teens would enjoy it as much as the older teens.
The book feels as though it is historically accurate because the information provided is very detailed, although not too much that it distracts you from the story.
Summing up, I felt that this book was beautifully written, carefully crafting fact with fiction to create a memorable story. It brings history alive, making it real for future generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)
I was absolutely gripped by this book from the outset and raced through it. I was quickly caught up in the love story but also fascinated by the vivid descriptions of the Spanish civil war - something I knew very little about. It left me with a clear picture of this period in history but also wanting to know much more about it. This is a beautifully crafted book. The plot unfolds with some unexpected and shocking twists and turns along the way making it hard to put down and the writing is clear, concise and poetic at times. A really great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A World Between Use by Lydia Syson, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)
Even though this book is aimed at teenagers I am a long way off my teenage years and I cannot recommend this book highly enough. As someone who used to live in Spain, it was lovely to read a book that elaborates on its history in such an accurately factual yet engaging way. The lead character is inspiring but not sappy, the love story is engaging but not soppy, all in all it is a well balanced and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Not only that the front cover is so stylish you look good reading it! A great stocking filler for women and girls of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Put It Down, 27 Sept. 2012
Emily Marbach (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)
A friend of mine bought this for my teenage daughter. I loved the cover and was interested in a female heroine called Felix (short for Felicity). I'm afraid my daughter won't be getting it back until I finish it. This does for the Spanish Civil War what The Red Necklace did for the French Revolution (but in a completely different but equally great way). It is such a good introduction to the period that is often overlooked because of it falling in the mid to late Thirties. There is a lot of good information but I am reading it for the love story, the love triangle, so young adult and pure and fun. The writing is superb and the plot is laid out so well, alternating between the three main stories so perfectly. As I said I have not finished it yet but it will be on my Christmas list for teens, particularly girls but not only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised and blown away!, 13 Jan. 2013
Michelle Cardozo (Wokingham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)
I'm absolutely surprised and blown away by A World Between Us by Lydia Syson! I'd only been vaguely aware of this book previous to a tweet by one of the lovely ladies at Hot Key Books, but when I was offered it for review, I said 'yes' straightaway. And even though I'm not always the biggest fan of historical fiction, something about this book appealed to me.

And when A World Between Us arrived, I decided not to delay any more and just to dive right into it. And right from the very beginning, I was absolutely fascinated by this book. I think Lydia Syson does an incredible job balancing the story of this book told from the perspectives of its three main characters and also giving the reader a good sense of historical detail and what it would have been like during the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930s. This is a time period that I know absolutely *nothing* about, but I was gripped by it all. I found each detail about the horrors of war, the response from the media, and the many ways in which this war changed the lives of many people to be hugely interesting. I didn't want to stop reading this book and I read most of it in one sitting.

I truly loved each of the three main characters within this book. First, there's Felix, a young nurse who on her way home one day stumbles into an anti-fascist protest in London. There, she meets Nat, this passionate guy who believes he can help the Republicans in Spain fight against the fascist regime of Franco. When Felix has the chance to follow Nat to Spain and volunteer as a nurse to help in this civil war, she does so not quite knowing the full extent of the horrors she will face there. And as Felix has followed Nat to Spain, so George follows Felix. George is an old family friend, someone who Felix has known for awhile but she has seemed to miss all the signs of his growing feelings for her until just before Felix flees to Spain. George manages to change his work assignment and ends up in Spain as a foreign correspondent covering the war.

I can hardly describe how much I loved this book or why. I really fell for each of the characters and I was fascinated by the experiences that they each have. I loved seeing this war from three very different points of view. I thought the relationships between George and Felix and Felix and Nat were done very sweetly and these three really made my heart ache. This book began with some excitement and adventure and romance and it was very interesting to see how much the war takes out of all three of these characters and to see how each of their feelings begin to change. Right to the very last page, I found myself very emotionally invested in George and Felix and Nat and also about their shared cause of anti-fascism in Spain. Because I knew nothing about this Civil War previous to this book, I really didn't know how it would all end up!

I finished A World Between Us by Lydia Syson with a happy smile on my face despite the tears. I'm really glad to have read it, to have gained a bit more historical knowledge than I had before and I finished the book absolutely inspired to read more about the Spanish Civil War and also to read more about history in general. I love being inspired in this way. A huge thank you to Hot Key Books and to Lydia Syson for this. This book is out now, I highly recommend that you read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)
This novel is a great story set at a pivotal time in 20th century history, the Spanish Civil War and the run up to WW2.

It may be pitched at teens, but it's also a great read for adults and I can't wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Muy bien!, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: A World Between Us (Paperback)
I really liked this book. I was struck by the way that the fictional content blended so believably with the, meticulously researched, non-fictional content. I was entertained, educated and delighted to have stumbled across such a gem! I would recommend this book to adults and teenagers alike, and am keenly anticipating this authors next book..

5.0 out of 5 stars A world not of their own making is separating this young couple...!, 4 July 2013
Petra just a girl who loves to read... "book ... (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
A World Between Us by Lydia Syson for me was not only a wonderful read but one where I learned so much about this very delicate time in history.
Why I loved this book so much was mainly because of the author's writing she drew me in from the first page as she showed me so much hatred was surrounding Felix as she found herself in the midst of a demonstration, she is soon rescued by Nat the one man who will show her what is truly going on in a land not so far away while he explains his views I could fully understand why so many men and women from other countries went to fight in Spain during the time of the Spanish Civil war. They could have sat back and said it was not their problem, it was not like today where we hear the news within minutes but their love and understanding for each other they knew they had to help those in need. Soon Felix sees Nat's views as her own and while she is on a weekend break in Paris with her brother Nathan and friend George she finds her own way to Spain to help as her nursing skills would be valuable. I will not spoil the book for you but all I will say if you think this is going to be a love story in the midst of war you will be mistaken as this book is so much more. Three young people for different reasons find themselves in a foreign country fighting in a war they accepted as their own but this time will change each of them in so many ways and if they are lucky to survive what will be left of their lives if they are lucky and survive this cruel war?
The author has clearly done her historical research and I would like to thank her for that as I learned so much from reading this brilliant book, not only that her vivid writing which showed me what the suffering was truly like and how those survived through this time. Lydia Syson showed us what life was like for each of the different lives through Felix I learned how blood was transfused and how it saved so many lives and how the medical teams fought to save so many lives through living in primitive circumstances. How even caves were used as hospital wards it was truly a matter of being where they were needed even if that meant they were in the line of deadly fire. Through Nat I learned what life was like for those who joined to fight even for those who had no training they were used to help win the war. As for George I learned how newspapers reported the news but as George watched the killing he soon realised he had to do more and this is when he changed from being there to look for the love of his life to fighting with those comrades he soon will count as his closest friend.
This book is a wonderful book of fiction based totally on historical facts which really give this wonderful book a totally solid basis of an absorbing storyline which had me captivated from Page One. I was surprised to learn this book is actually for the young adult market as I would personally recommend it to anyone from any age group who love to read historical fiction and learn as you become captivated by solid characters and an exciting storyline which had me constantly gripped until I found out what happened to each of the central characters.
A World Between Us By Lydia Syson is a book which I would recommend to all readers of all ages especially those who want a book which will not only entertain you but from page one it was an education as I learned so much from reading this brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a well written love story with a fascinating setting, 24 Feb. 2014
This novel is simply yet movingly written. Felix follows one man to the horror of the Spanish Civil War and another follows her. The book has a background of the naivety, commitment, squalor and bravery of the doomed fight against Franco, the role of the International Brigade and sometimes the savagery of the Republican factions. I really enjoyed it.

A World Between Us
A World Between Us by Lydia Syson (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2012)