on 15 March 2013
If you are a fan of Guy Adams then by all means give the book a try but DON'T be fooled by the Hammer logo on the cover and spine into thinking that this has anything to do with the Hammer film of the same title. It hasn't. It appears to me that Random House and Hammer Films are working in tandem to cash in on the craze for collecting all things Hammer by churning out such titles but I hold back from further comment until I read others in the series.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
To be honest I'm a reader that's old enough to remember the BBC showing seasons of Late Night Hammer Horror that coincided with me coming home from my part time job of Waiter at a restaurant with something nice to eat in tow. So to be blunt I have very fond memories of those times, so much so that I definitely recall catching Countess Dracula (featuring the attractive buxom Ingrid Pitt.)

So when Hammer brings a new book out from a film that I enjoyed way back when, I tend to like to read to see what they've done to bring it not only bang up to date but also to bring a touch of the nostalgia back. Within this book Guy Adams, brings it to the modern reader by setting it in an idealised 30's Hollywood, It has a lot of the same twists but to be honest with the story following the original pretty closely I could definitely see that it was more than a little dated and didn't really add anything new to the genre.

Its clichéd, the characters were more than a little flat and for me, the story really didn't travel or do anything other than produce a book that wouldn't have taken much to tame it down enough for the YA market. It disappointed, didn't take me anywhere in my imagination and to be brutal was sadly lacking in so many ways. If you have to read this book borrow it from the library or wait for it to hit a cheap book shop near you as sadly I suspect a great many will be upset at the cost and lack of pay off.
on 3 December 2014
A good attempt at updating an old story I could see the ending coming but still enjoyed it despite that.