4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant writing and zest and imagination

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant writing and zest and imagination, 20 Aug 2013
Ms. R. L. A. Amelan "Rachel" (Wilmslow, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
John Finnemore is a well established name in radio comedy and I absolutely adore "Cabin Pressure". I was, however, totally new to his Souvenir Programme which is replete with clever sketches of a quality that I have barely heard since "I am sorry I'll read that again" which I used to listen to under the bed clothes at night. (I was very small and did not want to be caught..)

Anyway, I would have taken this programme to bed also as the material is a total delight and has some very original ideas. I must confess that I did love the little songs written for the beleaguered zoo keepers, "That Penguin is not neglected, it is moulting", for example, and I certainly would not mind a copy of the sheet music so that I could teach them to my Brownie pack. We also have an interesting take on the story of the Three Little Pigs who tell us why they built their homes out of their chosen materials, with some lovely rationale from the one who chose brick. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde also get a look in with one writing to the other advising him on appropriate behaviour. We even have a little crime story.

My favourite piece, as a cat lover, was the one about cats being trained as navigators for World War II planes (cat nav, of course). Finnemore certainly knows his felines and mine would be just as disloyal as his. Oh, I loved the bit about the plane following the mackerel trawler around the Atlantic and others getting stuck in trees because they had been shot at.

There was also a lovely little bit about Mr Treadwell and his ambition to be the man who makes the noise for Dr Who's tardis. It was charming and funny..and really quite clever. B

Finnemore delivers the material well showing that he has some fair acting talent. I always thought that his role in Cabin Pressure did not allow his abilities free rein. Backing him up are Carrie Quinlan, Lawry Lewin and Simon Kane.

The CDs themselves contain four shows running for two hours, which is a good length for car listening. I took them through the Derbyshire hills and it made a dismal drive a total delight.

3.0 out of 5 stars A three star show with some four star sketches, 25 Sep 2013
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like most sketch shows, John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme is something of a mixed bag and admirers of his joyous radio sitcom Cabin Pressure may be disappointed that, despite only running to four episodes to Cabin Pressure's six, this is less consistent, but there's still much to enjoy. Very much built around Finnemore's askew worldview, it's a three star show that frequently rises to the odd four star sketch and where the filler inbetween never feels like it's been recycled in every other radio show for the past 40 years. Highlights are an Alan Bennett-style rendition of the inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Wood staging an intervention to force Winnie the Pooh to confront his destructive relationship with honey ("Pooh, when you can't get your fix I'm scared of you... That's not a spot of bother, Pooh, it's the reckless desperation of an addict"), guilt tripping things to do before you die books, a strident evolutionist who'll make exceptions, the importance of CatNav in the Battle of Britain, an inspired exchange of correspondence between Messrs Jekyll and Hyde over the problems of sharing lodgings and a cycle of zoo songs from depressed keepers (the weary lament "When you see a meerkat don't say simples" being a particular standout). Although it's never a one-man show, of the supporting ensemble only Simon Kane truly makes his mark, turning his often straight man feed lines into the odd moment of comic gold with his dry understatement. Certainly a promising start that allows its writer-star to get away from being typecast as an overenthusiastic idiot, there's certainly enough laughs to be had to justify the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud fun, 29 Aug 2013
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
John Finnemore's Souvenir programme cement's John's place as the King of Radio4 comedy. It can't be long before the BBC finds a budget for him to move to TV. Till then the slow release of his work on CD from tbe BBC library is all we have. Series 1 has 4 30 minute(ish) episodes of John's sketches. There is no theme; just a mixture of fun and silly. Its repayable and the jokes on the whole are pretty timeless and the overall standard is as great as my long term favourites The Consultants. 5*s

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, quirky sketch show, 27 Aug 2013
M. V. Clarke (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
John Finnemore is perhaps best known as a writer for radio and TV comedies such as Mitchell & Webb, Dead Ringers, and The Now Show. Here, he is both writer and main participant, joined by other familiar radio voices, including Carrie Quinlan. The sketches are short, reliably funny, and often with some distinctive element; several, for instance, make clever use of meta-references, such as a character known simply as 'Presenter' and another in which one actor doesn't want to put on a French accent. There are also some clever word-plays in a number of sketches. Several sketches take familiar stories as their basis; Winnie-the-Pooh is encouraged to kick his honey addiction, while the three little pigs are all interviewed about their building techniques. Particular highlights include 'The Archers, as it sounds to people who don't really listen to the Archers' and the life story of a boy who wants to be the person who makes the noise of the Tardis in Dr Who. Fans of Mitchell & Webb, The Now Show, Armstrong & Miller and such like will find plenty of enjoyment here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get me Finnemore!, 20 Aug 2013
R. C. McGinlay (Ilford, Essex) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In my review of "Cabin Pressure Series 1" (which is similarly written and performed by John Finnemore), I pleaded with AudioGO to also release this sketch show. I'm very pleased to report that they seem to have listened to me! Now I urge you to listen to this...

Finnemore has a talent for turning established notions on their heads, whether it's the familiar punch line to the joke about a man's wife who went to the West Indies, or the unusually realistic narrative logic of the tale of the Three Little Pigs. Each of the four half-hour episodes on this double CD ends with a shaggy-dog story replete with clichés ripe for overturning, such as the phrases "not two weeks ago" (it was four years ago), "the weather is unusually hot for February" (it's July) and "he rang the bell for the maid" (because she couldn't reach it). Another recurring theme is the application of modern values to familiar old narratives, including a hilarious intervention to rescue Winnie the Pooh from his honey addiction ("I'm sorry, Pooh - it used to be funny how a bear likes honey, but it's not funny any more") and a mash-up of "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "Dragon's Den".

Though I have identified some general motifs, "John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme" is not one of those sketch shows that relies upon repeated catch phrases and the same old characters cropping up week in, week out.

Keen to impress its audience, the programme crams a lot of its best material into the opening episode, as is often the case with sketch shows nowadays. By comparison, the third episode is relatively weak, but that's only a comparative judgement. Having already heard "Series 2" on the radio, I can assure you that Finnemore gets even more funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Souvenir Programme: Jamacia?, 25 July 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Souvenir Programme is a radio sketch show written by and starring comedy rising star John Finnemore. And it's a delight. Finnemore finds humour in some very strange places, reconstructing old jokes, poking fun at stories we are told from the nursery and inventing oddball situations. It is a bit like `That Mitchell and Webb Sound', but a little less nerdy. It's the sort of humour I love, witty, inventive and at times Pythonesque but all without being shouty and sweary. I was creased with laughter.

All four episodes of the first series are here, two episodes per disc on two discs in a fold out jewel case. Liner notes are down the BBC's poor standards and are limited to air dates and cast notes. Apart from that this is a real class act, and I heartily recommend it. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious! Great Entertainment!, 2 Sep 2013
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comedy series comes from Arthur in 'Cabin Pressure' but has the skill, expertise and flair of Not the Nine O Clock News, The Fast Show or dare I say Python themselves?
Every single sketch on the four half hour shows is hilarious. Every minute you listen you will laugh and marvel at the great writing that has resulted in these scripts that deliver on every level. From the two men who don't get on together but are marooned in the ice together for six months, to the man who objects to unreasonable advertising but is hoisted on his own petard, you will meet great new characters (some of whom may sound slightly like Arthur) that will tickle your laughing muscles.
This is a great purchase for the commuter who wants to laugh their way to work, or conversely is desperate to laugh on the way home. If you like ghost stories, sorry that should be goat stories, then this cd set is for you and you should spend no more time reading this crazy review but instead buy a copy. In fact, why not buy a second one in case the first one is eaten by a moulting penguin?

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe I missed this!, 31 Aug 2013
James Walls (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know the name of John Finnemore from Cabin Pressure as well as various radio 4 satire shows and always liked him when I heard him, however this series of his completely passed me by so I was thrilled to be able to review this
Basically it is hilarious! Perhaps some of the best sketchers are when he is referencing or slightly poking fun at the BBC itself (the Doctor Who revival sketch in the first episode is quite frankly genius!)
My only grip, such as it is, is that it is only 4 episodes, I really hoped for a 6 part run, but hopefully that will happen in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: Series 1 (Audio CD)
That penguin's not neglected he is moulting - I have listened to it hundreds of times and will listen hundreds more.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets funnier the more I listen to it, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: Series 1 (Audio CD)
I've only recently found this, having become a fan of Cabin Pressure, and I love all three series. All the performers are wonderful. There's a great mix of types of comedy - silly, clever, sharp, skits and some great songs - and John Finnemore gets some amazing characters into very short sketches. And there is such a generous spirit to it all (1. Be Kind 2 Have Fun - I won't explain that not to ruin one of my favourite sketches). I don't review much but I wanted to say how great this series is.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: Series 1
John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: Series 1 by John Finnemore (Audio CD - 4 July 2013)
13.25