5.0 out of 5 stars One of Durbridge's very best

3.0 out of 5 stars Flatline
Published on 22 May 2013 by sebquest

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Durbridge's very best, 28 April 2013
This review is from: The Desperate People (Audio CD)
Since Francis Durbridge's death in 1998, his literary legacy has been shamefully overlooked by the television companies that once relied so regularly and for so long on his creations. The BBC, however, has continued to feed the insatiable demand for Durbridge's brand of thriller, firstly by releases of all extant 'Paul Temple' radio serials on cassette and CD, and more recently by making fresh full cast recordings from the original radio scripts of the 'Paul Temple' serials. Beyond that, the BBC has also issued several Durbridge novels as readings, some abridged, others unabridged, and 'The Desperate People' belongs to the latter category. It's one of the author's best novels, enthralling, exciting and full of Durbridge's cliff-hangers. I can only hope AudioGO are already planning the unabridged release of 'Bat out of Hell', my all-time favourite Durbridge novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Desperate People, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Desperate People (Audio CD)
I have looked for this story in any format since I was six years old when it was broadcast as a Sunday serial and I remember Thomas Quale in the boot of Philip Holt (Larry Martin was his name on tv) with a dagger in his chest. i was scared out of my wits then. The stars of the tv show Dennis Quilley and Nigel Hawthorne are dead now and there seem to be no videos available apart from Nigel Hawthorne on the stairs in the BBC tribute but Neil Pearson from Behind The Lines fame reads the story well as his dead pan style suits the totally psychopathic people of the title and the frightening encounters in the studio the woods and the flat. Durbridge was a genius of suspense and the plot is still as intricate and fascinating today. I can almost sleep again! Thanks Neil !

3.0 out of 5 stars Flatline, 22 May 2013
sebquest (Cumbria, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Desperate People (Audio CD)
This is probably one of Francis Durbridge's devilishly intricate plots, unfortunately Neil Pearson (the reader) here has a very monotonous delivery, which made me anxious to get to the end of the story but not for the most welcome reason. I believe this is a novelization of a 1960s Francis Durbridge tv series and the impression that formed most strongly while I struggled through this audio book is that it probably was a cracking tv programme, but that it fails to translate to audiobook format. My opinion may change when I listen to this book a second time but I thought it unfair to make potential purchasers of this audiobook wait a couple of years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best....., 5 May 2013
Shirley (S.W.England) - See all my reviews
Bello are doing Francis Durbridge proud by publishing his books at a reasonable price. This is really my favourite story and recommend it to anyone who likes a good mystery story with a bit of nostalgia thrown in. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 13 Jun. 2013
Another Francis Dudbridge gem. It is always a pleasure to read his mysteries and although I have the paperback it is good to add it to my kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Durbridge does it again, 16 May 2013
P. Loveday - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Desperate People (Audio CD)
Another great story from this author with a good plot. It is read well and holds the attention throughout. A recommended listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phillip Holt is a joy to follow, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Desperate People (Audio CD)
A new set of characters from Francis Durbridge and all a joy to get to know. A little dated, but that is the genre and a glimpse of the past.

Well read and engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down once I started reading it ..., 11 Oct. 2014
Barbara Philips "barbie doll" (NSW AUSTRALIA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put it down once I started reading it. I saw the TV series years ago and wanted to catch up with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why not on DVD too?, 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Desperate People (Audio CD)
I have just ordered this title. I remember the TV serial which was shown on the 5-6 o'clock slot. As it survives in the BBC archives I don't know why the BBC haven't released this fascinating serial along with the other surviving Durbridge TV serials. While it will not doubt be good on audio - as it is an excellent story - I would really like to see the TV version again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Thriller, 5 Sept. 2013
Allen Worcester (Westbury, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This is the first Francis Durbridge story I have read that does not feature the Paul Temple character, and I'm very glad I have.
Like all Durbridge's stories, this moves at a cracking pace and is involving from the word go. If there is one criticism, it is that he moves the story along too fast, and your left wishing he had written at least another 100 pages! I love this stuff and have already read another three stories under the Bello imprint. For lovers of solidly plotted exciting thrillers, they will not be disappointed.

The Desperate People
The Desperate People by Francis Durbridge (Audio CD - 7 Mar. 2013)
Out of stock