Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 October 2012
Review: This is pretty much a perfect book. I was not expecting much from it but it had me hooked from the very first page and was absolutely hilarious.
The character of River was captured perfectly and I could see and hear Alex Kingston in every line. The prose was so tightly constructed that there was almost a joke or a double meaning in every sentence. It isn't just that it was a good story, the control the author had over each word was amazing.
I don't imagine that many non-Whovians will read this book but I would certainly recommend this to them. Whilst there are lots of bits for Whovians to pick up on this isn't really a Doctor Who book and there is plenty to enjoy by simply reading this a straight-forward pastiche of the detective story genre.
As another reader said, the only thing that could make this book better is if there was an audiobook of Alex Kingston reading it.

Favourite character: Melody Malone

Favourite quote: "Everything about me is pretty and a lot of it is shrewd. So I had a pretty shrewd idea what was going on."
on 4 October 2012
A Raymond Chandler pastiche, with a plot that prequels 'The Angels Take Manhattan'.
Melody Malone aka Riversong is a pure, comic, wisecracking delight in a fast-paced novelette that nicely sets the scene for the Doctor's entrance with only a few knowing hints to the reader that this is something more than a 30's pulp detective thriller. Enjoy - I did!
on 25 August 2013
OK- ish, but because it as it was set in America as a prequel to the Angels of Manhattan, it was somewhat irritating and seemed a bit empty. I knew before I bought it that it preceeded the Dr Who adventure, but I was still hoping for more references to it, as that adventure was their one and only set after the Wedding of River and the Doctor, (not counting Trenzalore) and I wanted more of their relationship together to be mentioned. A few more drawings of Melody Malone and some pictures of the Dr Who related adventure or Alex Kingston would have made it more enjoyable. Melody did hint at him once or maybe twice, but not enough for me. Alex Kingston read it well with a good mix of accents and the male voices she made impressively deep. So if you are hankering for a bit more of the Dr and River do buy this, but it will only help a bit if you really badly miss them.
on 5 October 2012

though this book was a short and sweet story it was very good and i hope that there will be other melody malone mystery books to come. it is a book that i would recommend to other fans of doctor who.
on 16 December 2012
do feel like someone has engaged in some misdirection with this as you are lead to believe it is the story from the episode with the Doctor, Amy and Rory, popping up halfway through and the last page message from Amy. This however is not the case as this is in fact a completely different melody malone story. It seems to be set not long before the events of the episode and is actually a good little story which still involves the weeping angels. gave it four stars for the quality of the story but left off the fifth for the confusion. hope they release the one from the episode at some point
on 7 April 2013
The character of Melody Malone, as written here, bares very little resemblance to River Song and the correlation between ugliness of appearance and ugliness of character is shockingly out of place in a Doctor Who novel. The mystery element is slight, but then so is the book, but could have been an interesting read if the characterisation hadn't been so far off the mark.

I would love to read more of River Song, in whatever guise, but I can only hope that they employ a better writer next time around.
on 28 December 2012
The book has been cleverly written and is a fitting introduction to The Angels Take Manhattan. I also feel that having read the book, I have a better knowledge and understanding of River Song's character who is, I must admit, my favourite character in Doctor Who. I also was glad to see both Sam Garner and Julius Grayle mentioned in the book, ahead of their appearance in The Angels Take Manhattan. It is a shame however that Amy and Rory were not mentioned, considering that they are River Song's parents.
on 10 April 2013
I bought this assuming it was an expanded version of the story from the tv series ... it's not, but it's still a great read! Justin Richards has really captured the essence of River Song's character and speech, and you can almost believe she's written the book it's that close!

Overall a great detective tale with a difference and will not only appeal to (obviously) Doctor Who fans but also to fans of this genre.

If you're thinking of buying this think no more and enjoy the story!
on 4 October 2012
This was a great romp with trademark River Song sass. I would love to read more and could hear Alex's Kingston's voice in my head throughout the whole thing. The only thing better would be to hear it outside my head, too - audiobook, anyone?
on 12 October 2012
I really enjoyed reading this Raymond Chandler-esque short story. As people have already pointed out, this is NOT the book from The Angels Take Manhattan. It doesn't have the chapter titles etc. However, having said that, it is thoroughly enjoyable and has a couple of little twists to keep you guessing what is going on. I would love to read more from "Melody Malone" and hope the BBC publish more books.