5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - not enough Madness
Published 7 months ago by Andrew GC Davison

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - not enough Madness, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: That Close (Kindle Edition)
Disappointing. Madness were the first band I ever saw live, and The Prince still has to be the most infectious dance track ever. But there just isn't enough of Madness in Suggs' book. It's as if he's trying so hard to be someone other than the singer from Madness, that his motives obscure his own (and the band's) true legacy. Want stories about the creation of One Step Beyond? Or how and why the song Michael Caine evolved and how they got the man himself onto the record? Or how they matured into some of the finest songwriters around? No chance. Want to know how Suggs makes bruschetta, or enjoys cycling in southern Italy? Then you're in business.

He's a third of the way into the book before Madness even emerge as a band. You're wondering how he's going maintain that detail throughout Madness' career. Simple; he doesn't. A few chapters later, they're splitting up. No mention of the six albums recorded in between. He goes into excruciating detail about a New Year's Eve, but doesn't mention recording Absolutely, 7, the Rise and Fall etc. The sequencing jumps around a lot and while I'm sure there's something to be said about avoiding a straight, chronological narrative, it sill leaves you feeling a little short-changed.

What is written is good however; very entertaining. There's a real warmth and honesty to his tales, and he's a good narrator/raconteur. I'd imagine his one man stage shows are a gem.

So, caveat emptor. Be aware that you are getting a well written and entertaining autobiography. You are not getting a book about Madness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: That Close (Audio CD)
Suggs took about 3 years to write his autobiography,finally it got printed so I snapped up a signed copy,then I discovered that his book was available on cd as a audiobook.I now have this audiobook ,which is 7hrs 23mins long (7 cd's ).here suggs tells his life story.This audio book is great I play it on the way to work in the car and on the way home.Hopefully I can hear his whole life story in about 5 days turn the volume up without any interruptions.This audiobook is great hearing Suggs as you hear his life story,If you have not got the time to read ,then this is much easier ,this cd will not disappoint any fan of Suggs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Nov 2013
Maureen Mearns "helibitch1" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Close (Kindle Edition)
No fancy chat just a good honest book about the madness of Madness. I feel like I have been on a whirlwind tour with the boys and it has been great. Highly recommend this a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biography, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: That Close (Kindle Edition)
For any Madness Fan, or anyone interested in the Social and Music scene of the 70's and 80's this is a fantastic read. The style is honest and truthful, but the narrative walks the reader through the authors extraordinary lifetime events in a natural and moving way. - Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant read about Her Majesty's favourite skinhead., 27 May 2014
A Parrott "Polly the Wasp" (Reading UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Close (Hardcover)
Madness fans: THIS BOOK ISN'T ABOUT MADNESS. There are a few interesting revelations, but it's about "What made Graham MacPherson into Suggs". Just thought I'd start there, as it seems to be a constant complaint in other reviews.

I've read a lot people associated with 2-Tone, and this was my favourite read, because (1) It's not ghostwritten, or not much at least, because you can tell Sugg's way of speaking coming through the words. (2) He doesn't big himself up, quite the opposite if anything. (3) No-one gets slagged. Nice, easy read, plenty of anecdotes, made for holiday reading. you may not learn much, but there are plenty of fact-heavy books for that, this is just a pleasant few hours of company with a nice guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: That Close (Kindle Edition)
Took me just 3 days to read was completely hooked!...although I have been a Madness fan since '79! Would have liked a bit more about his youth but apart from that I think it was an excellent read!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUGGS MY LIFE STORY (THAT CLOSE), 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: That Close (Audio CD)
I HAVE TO SAY HAVING SEEN SUGGS ONE MAN SHOW MY LIFE STORY WHICH WAS SUPERB.SUGGS HAS A NATURAL GIFT OF ENTERTAINING.I BOUGHT THE BOOK THAT CLOSE TOO WHICH I HAVE TO SAY WAS MAGNIFICENT.NOW ONTO THE AUDIO BOOK WHEN I PUT THE FIRST CD IN I WAS TRANSPORTED BACK TO HIS STAGE SHOW JUST LISTENING TO THIS ALL IN ALL A MUST FOR ANY FAN OF MADNESS A BRILLIANT LIFE STORY FROM ONE OF BRITAIN'S MOST POPULAR BANDS EVER A NATIONAL TREASURE. SIT BACK & LISTEN TO A WONDERFUL LIFE STORY.IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE STAGE SHOW YET BUY THIS AUDIO BOOK YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED.

3.0 out of 5 stars Suggs , That Close, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: That Close (Kindle Edition)
its a book about Suggs , but no real depth to it to be honest , I expected more from a member of a group called Madness

4.0 out of 5 stars Soon as I wake up, every night, every day, I know that it's you I read to take the blues away! ;-), 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: That Close (Kindle Edition)
As a lifelong Madness and Chelsea fan I was expecting a good read - which is exactly what I got! Admittedly I did panic a bit when I was about two thirds through and there hadn't been very much detail about the band's successful years, but this was addressed more towards the end of the book. A little more of this wouldn't have gone amiss and as others have commented, a little more chronological order to things would have made it all a little easier to follow. Hence 4 stars and not 5.

Reading the book has encouraged me to buy and listen to The Liberty of Norton Folgate, which I'll be doing very soon. It seems I've missed out on a real treasure.

In summary - a good guy, a good read and a brilliant, unique band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: That Close (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put down Its an great insight into the band suggs writes a very witty entertaining book loved it read it in two days

That Close
That Close by Suggs (Audio CD - 4 Nov 2013)
20.41