5.0 out of 5 stars So Hopeful....
**ARC provided by Atria via NetGalley in return for an honest review**

All the stars in the sky..

Beautifully written book. I am wrung right out..Colleen, you are a friggin goddess!

Published 22 months ago by Janey

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless book 2
Published 18 months ago by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

5.0 out of 5 stars So Hopeful...., 9 July 2013
Janey (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
**ARC provided by Atria via NetGalley in return for an honest review**

All the stars in the sky..

I was quite late coming to the Hopeless party, which I will be forever slapping myself for! So this time around, I was lucky enough to read an ARC of Losing Hope.

Reading it was from Holder's POV, I was apprehensive that the story would be repetitive and that that would steal some of my enjoyment of it. But I was Hopelessly wrong...and very glad to be!

Colleen was able to script Holder's thoughts, feelings, actions in such a captivating way that made me feel I knew Holder so well, so dearly. I was heartbroken from the first chapter, where we were given piece by piece Holder's world falling apart. I'm quite choked writing this to be honest.

To understand his thoughts and hopes when he first met Sky, and listening to his motivations as their friendship deepens, only assisted to enhance the already beautiful story that sits on my keeper shelf...

His letters to Les were his therapy, and his opportunity to vent as time passed and his acceptance of living without her. Truly poignant and another opportunity to grab for the tissues.

As the story develops, we were enchanted by his live/love for her, dripping off every page. *sigh*

I could not recommend this book enough, but have made an attempt to at every opportunity. Great praise for Colleen..and thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEVER LOSE HOPE, 29 April 2015
Emma @ Book Angel Booktopia (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Losing Hope (Kindle Edition)
I’ve read and re-read both Hopeless and Losing Hope a few times now and have never been able to coherently formulate my thoughts in order to write the review. They are just those kind of books. I’m sure you know what I mean; the type of books that swallow you whole, drown you in emotion then spit you back out as a chewed up, gnarled mess.

Colleen’s trade mark beautiful writing has a lyrical almost poetic feel to it, the beauty of the words belie the horror lurking within the pages. There is a sense of despair that emanates from within the words, a feeling of inevitability you just can’t escape. The feeling of foreboding increases with each page turned. The prologue within Hopeless sets the tone – repetition of the prologue within the main part of the story reinforces the imagery and emotions sharply within the imagination immersing the reader completely.

Very difficult issues are dealt with – as a reader and also as a mother I found myself trying to make sense of the incomprehensible. The mind is a fantastic thing, protecting itself from trauma. Revelations in the form of dreams/flashbacks pave the way for the brutality of the ultimate exposé as the plot peaks.

Sky is a wonderful character, there are so many facets to her, it’s like peeling the layers of an onion. She has a terrific relationship with her mother and her best friend. Although some of her actions are questionable the reasoning behind them only adds to endear her to the reader.

First impression of Holder make you question his intentions toward Sky. His anger management issues count against him until you scratch away that hard shell of his. I have to say I loved seeing his point of view in Losing Hope, however, there was an incident at the start of that book which really altered my opinion of him. I didn’t like it one bit and it took quite a while for me to get over it. Yes, I am aware that grief causes people to do things they normally wouldnt’ but still, really didn’t like that incident :*(

The chemistry between Sky and Holder is electric but it is the tenderness and emotion they share which makes their relationship tug at even the hardest of hearts. Best non-kissing scene EVER ♥

At the risk of being pedestrian, the thing that stands out in these books is that sense of HOPE. While events in our lives, especially the traumatic ones, shape the people we become, they do not define us.

NEVER LOSE HOPE♥

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-breakingly delicious, 3 April 2015
This review is from: Losing Hope (Hopeless 2) (Paperback)
After reading and really enjoying Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, I planned to take a little break before reading Losing Hope as I knew it was based on the same story but told from Holder’s perspective. I lasted all of a couple of hours before picking it up though, I just couldn’t resist. I really enjoyed this novel, but not quite as much as the first one, which I think is always the case with companion novels that cover the same plot-lines.

When I finished Hopeless I really wasn’t ready to leave these characters behind, which was why I was so excited to be able to go straight into Losing Hope. I love that it’s told from Holder’s perspective, as I enjoy and want to read more contemporaries told from a male POV, and as Holder has his own fare share of secrets going on, I was looking forward to the chance to get inside his head.

I can imagine writing two books that cover quite a similar storyline but from two different perspectives is tough, how do you keep it fresh and keep the reader interested? Hoover managed this quite effortlessly by including diary-entries that serve as letters to Holder’s sister, Les. They are wonderful, heart-breaking and offer such an insight into Holder as a character. Hoover also gives Holder’s BFF, Daniel, much more page time, and his humour was a welcome relief throughout the book. I love that after reading both of these books you have a clear picture of the relationship between Sky and Holder – how it started, how it developed, how both characters were feeling during certain critical plot-points. I LOVED this.

I have to say though, because I read this book so soon after Hopeless, I did skim read certain sections that were practically the same in both novels. The original story was very fresh in my mind, and I didn’t have the patience to read through the sections verbatim. As soon as I finished this read I went ahead and downloaded the companion novella Finding Cinderella, and devoured it just as quickly.

There’s not much in it, but overall I did prefer Hopeless slightly more to Losing Hope, but that’s mostly because the story was so fresh and new to me when I read the first book. In my opinion, the Hopeless series is best read, considered and rated on a whole. The pieces fit together so well, that the series overall rates much higher for me than each novel on its own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless book 2, 25 Nov. 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Losing Hope (Hopeless 2) (Paperback)
I loved Hopeless when I read it earlier this year, the twist completely took me by surprise and I loved seeing how things unfolded as Sky slowly uncovered the truth about her past. I did find Holder's behaviour was more than a little disturbing at the beginning of the book but after finding out what was going on I could understand his actions. When I heard that Colleen Hoover had re-written the story from his point of view I was quite excited to get inside his head and seeing exactly what he was thinking during the pivotal moments. I was also hoping we'd get a lot more insight into Holder's past and to a small extent we do but unfortunately we didn't get enough new material to completely hold my interest.

I did really enjoy learning more about his relationship with his twin sister Lesley and seeing what had driven her to take such drastic action but the majority of the scenes between Holder and Sky were the same ones that we'd already read in Hopeless. I spent a lot of time reading the exact same conversations and wondering what was the point. I think I'm starting to get a bit bored of this new trend of writing the same story again but from a different POV. It can work really well when it tells a different part of the story or adds some insight that we didn't get from the first book but when it's too similar it just feels like a waste of time reading it.

I have to say that Losing Hope is very well written and I probably loved Holder even more after seeing inside his head but I still ended up feeling a little disappointed overall, in fact I think this would have worked better as a novella so that there was less repeated material in there. Colleen Hoover is a brilliant author so I have high expectations when I pick up one of her books but this one fell a little flat for me. If you were a massive fan of Hopeless then you might still want to give this one a try but I'd say it's probably worth picking up a copy from the library or borrowing it from a friend first rather than buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Losing Hope (Kindle Edition)
My review of Hopeless is a more balanced review dealing with both the emotion and the plot. I recommend you read that first as this is more a treatise of the effects both Hopeless and Losing Hope had on me as a reader. The plot of Losing Hope is stellar, that is beyond question, the emotion is devastating, the characters unforgettable. The experience...read on -

There was one word that described my experience reading Hopeless and writing its review: Brutal. I didn't think anything could surpass that but Losing Hope has destroyed me. Every emotion that I drowned in whilst reading Sky's story came flooding back and swept me under until by the end I felt like I was gasping for breath and could go on no longer. Needless to say I've pretty much curled up in a ball, trying to think all the happy thoughts since then.

I actually broke down sobbing at the dinner table telling my family about the book and couldn't eat. I'm sobbing now writing this review. I knew it would be affecting after how I let Hopeless in but I honestly didn't think Holder's story would be as brutal and upsetting. To be honest for most of the book I was able to remain at a distance from the story, a curious observer. I knew what was coming so I felt prepared. I could cope with all the shocks, I had cried with Sky, I knew Holder couldn't possibly be worse, after all, he was almost an observer like me right? Wrong.

Holder's grief is palpable. A pulsing entity of pain and sadness from page one. Hoover with an unrelenting pace drags us along with Holder through his sister's suicide, his guilt at not being able to save her, his heart's momentarily leap of optimism when he first meets Sky and believes she is his childhood friend, the doubt that creeps in as he gets to know her and his joy at falling for Sky, his wish that Hope is at peace and that this exceptional young woman is someone he can forge a future with, a future with Sky filled with anticipation and belief in good and not a reminder of HopeLess - a life of regret.

There aren't enough adjectives to describe the roller-coaster of emotional turmoil, happiness, fleeting joy, crushing blows and eventual peace that one experiences reading this book.

The story is familiar but there are small moments, moments where Sky's perception of Holder's actions shaped her story only for us as the readers to discover they were something completely different. At all times his goal was to protect Sky from a pain so immense surely no-one could survive it. Her strength coupled with his love formed a bond stronger than titanium and together they were able to face the horrifying events that tainted their combined pasts. Holder's self-blame is heartbreaking to read and you can't help but sympathise and rejoice as he discovers his own personal form of therapy, writing in his sister's notebook, sharing his thoughts, paving his path to healing with moments of joy mingled with crushing pain. It's gut punching at its best.

The chemistry between Sky and Holder is almost overwhelming when combined with his colliding wishes that she is indeed the friend he has never forgiven himself for losing and his desire that she really is Sky so he can protect her from the inevitable pain of coming to terms with a stolen childhood. It is beyond upsetting as the memories from Hopeless come flooding back and the feeling of helplessness as you watch two people desperately try to survive a pain that cuts deeper than the sharpest knife edge and struggle to endure it and come out the other side with scars that hopefully will heal.

There are moments of light relief which are a welcome distraction but never quite ease the heavy ache in the pit of your stomach. As the book progresses my role as curious observer became a struggle to maintain and then Chapter Forty-seven-and-a-half happened...

Holder says that Devastation is something that should only be allowed to refer to mothers who have lost children - by the end of this chapter I can honestly say that it can be used by readers of this book too. The past that we think we have finally got a grip on, the story we think we know is ripped from our trusting souls and turned completely on its head.

There are no words that can really do this book justice and my paltry attempt above is unworthy but suffice to say the story is one that will never leave me. I ended my review of Hopeless with a sentence that I think is only fitting that it be included as an edited version here too as it truly encapsulates all the FEELS -

This story of Sky and Holder captivated me from the stunning prologue of Hopeless through reveal after reveal after reveal until the ending of Losing Hope when I thought I finally had it all figured out and no way could I be bested again when my knees were taken out from under me and I was once again left me breathless, speechless but thankfully - not hopeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Losing Hope (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this book just as much as Hopeless. Dean Holder is just WOW ..... I really enjoyed reading the story from his POV. Would strongly recommend you read Hopeless and Losing Hope they are a brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need box of tissues!, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Losing Hope (Kindle Edition)
If you haven't read this book make sure you read hopeless first!
I've just read losing hope and it had me tears at the end, I absolutely loved the fact that losing hope is from holders point of view and you get to no a lot more about him&les and how much he actually loves sky/hope and it will just melt your heart and have you crying.
Well done collen hope there is a third!:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Holder's POV, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Losing Hope (Kindle Edition)
An engaging read with a realistic male POV--LOSING HOPE is another win for Hoover.

Holder's POV. That what it's all about, peeps. Holder's side of all the crazy events from HOPELESS, as well as extras from his childhood, the years in between, and the sweetest part of all--his letters to his sister Les that are threaded throughout in "handwritten" sections, which I thought was an absolutely perfect touch and a very clever idea from Hoover.

During HOPELESS, you'd have been forgiven for being slightly weirded out by Holder and his often confusing, and sometimes disturbing, behaviour. I know I was. He seemed to blow hot and cold without warning, and perhaps even had a little anger management problem sprinkled on the top. But that was before we knew about the thing. You know, the thing? Of course you do. Now that we do know about the thing, those exact same scenes as seen here in LOSING HOPE through Holder's eyes, suddenly make a whole truck load more sense, and were very enjoyable to read. Not to mention well-written, and with a very authentic sounding "boy" voice.

The only complaint I have about LOSING HOPE is that the end chapters--which really are all about Sky's character--felt slightly choppy and rushed when told from Holder's POV. Since he was only on the periphery during much of it, he had to do a lot of summarising, which of course isn't as satisfying as living it in all its pain-filled glory like we did in HOPELESS. Still, it's only a minor quibble, and didn't really detract from the book's appeal.

So basically, if you loved HOPELESS, you're going to love LOSING HOPE--and Holder--all over again. Enjoy!

4 Stars ★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love Dean, the poor guy has gone through so ..., 13 April 2015
This review is from: Losing Hope (Hopeless 2) (Paperback)
Ok. .. I think I need a minute or two to compose myself.......
This book made my heart hurt and eyes leak!!
I honestly don't know where to start.
I absolutely love Dean, the poor guy has gone through so much, blaming himself for everything that had happened in his life and to the lives of the ones he loved/loves. I felt every emotion pouring out straight into my heart and soul. This is by far my favourite of Colleen's books so far!
Colleen is just wow!
5 HUGE emotional, heart-wrenching stars!! Although I would give it a thousand if I could!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than an alternate pov book!, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Losing Hope (Kindle Edition)
My favourite thing about this book? Well apart from Colleen Hoover being the one to write it of course, it wasn't simply a retelling of Hopeless, no this was like a whole new book. Holder had his own story and his own demons to fight and we only learn the depths of them in this book. In fact, I probably cried harder during Losing Hope than I did Hopeless.

This book is unmissable. Get it read. ~Ava

Losing Hope (Hopeless 2)
Losing Hope (Hopeless 2) by Colleen Hoover (Paperback - 8 Oct. 2013)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months