Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 October 2004
Having enjoyed LaPlante's Trial and Retribution TV dramas, I thought I'd give one of her novels a try. I must have chosen the wrong one, for I found Sleeping Cruelty thoroughly disappointing. While the characters are complex and intriguing, they do not come across as realistic, more creations to serve the plot. As for the plot itself, it just about hangs together but it's pretty implausible. Even allowing for that, the story's progression and character reactions are a lot more predictable than T&R. Where were the surprises, the twists, the subtle observations of human behaviour we can all relate to? I persevered to the end because I lived in hope that I would be rewarded for my patience. But I wasn't. If this book hadn't had LLP's name on it, I'd have closed it long before the final page
on 6 March 2014
I only tend to write reviews on books which I think are awful in order to warn other people off. This is one of the few books that fall in to that category. A truly horrible story, not thrilling in the least, full of truly horrible characters which were neither endearing or interesting. Totally unbelievable plot verging on the ridiculous. Will be added to my list of authors to avoid in future.
on 21 April 2007
I have been a fan of Lynda La Plante for some time and was really looking forward to reading this book. The first chapter was chilling and I thought it was going to develp into an excellent thriller ---- then it went downhill fast! It soon developed into an extremely implausible plot with unconvincing, unbelievable characters and an excuse to include very badly written sexual exploits. I stuck with it to the end simply because I never give up on a book, but this really was one of the worst books I have read in a long time.
on 1 July 2014
Not up to Lynda La Plante's usual standard. Decent standards of morality are not part of this exercise and in the end it seems to be a shallow tome about unpleasant people all seeking illegitimate gain. I'm not a prude and I enjoy the colourful element of a good story as much as anyone but like food, a good meal can be ruined by an excess of flavour.
I've read much better Lynda La Plante.
on 16 May 2013
This book started out so well, so promisingly. And then about a third of the way through, the author quite literally lost the plot. Most of the later characters were hyperbolized and shallowly depicted, and just didn't make it off the flat page into a believable reality. Added to the mixture (the word pot-boiler actually comes to mind): unloveable and unsympathetic types, and seamy rather than steamy sex in a boringly pretty picture-postcard setting. After a reasonable build up of tension, the plot unfortunately runs out of puff even before it gets to the alleged climax and the unsatisfactory - again, testing the limits of plausibility - ending. In summary, that old school report comment perhaps is the most apt: can do better.
on 25 October 2015
Not at all up to La Plante's usual standard, so different from any of the other books I've read of hers. A lot of very explicit sexual content which for me made it an uncomfortable read. I struggled through the book, not really sure why as I wasn't enjoying it. I have read most of her books and have enjoyed them all as they are always a good meaty reliably good read, but not this one.
on 29 May 2014
Expected a really good read but was disappointed in the whole story. Love the Anna Travis stories but this was not a patch on them.
on 25 September 2015
I was so disappointed in this book. Having always enjoyed the various TV series based on Lynda La Plante's writing, I expected a "good read". The writing was poor, the characters shallow, and there were far too many gratuitous sexual descriptions which were inappropriate in a "crime thriller". If I had not been brought up to finish a book once started, this is one that I would have discarded within the first 100 pages. I wish I had; it did not improve as it progressed.
on 31 December 2014
This was a very disappointing read and not up to Lynda's usual style or quality.
At times I found it very disjointed and difficult to determine whether they were in the French villa, William's London home or at the island.
Not a very believable story and while I am sure that children may suffer from parents in a similar manner to Justin and Laura, this came to light in the final few pages, the actions undertaken by the now grown up children was excessive and not very believable.
on 23 November 2015
Well it is by Lynda La Plante, I think that us enough said. I have never read anything bad that Lynda Le Plante has written and this is no different. Something rather different, brought out a lot of emotions. Somewhat changes your attitude to right and wrong. Excellent.