5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Autobiography
Published 4 months ago by William Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars Unconventional, disappointingly so.
As others have said, this is not a normal football autobiography and, while interesting, it's too short and lacking in much of the detail I would hope and expect to get. This book is as much about Cruyff, Ajax, Dutch football, Arsenal and Internazionale as it is about Bergkamp, and I'm pretty sure Bergkamp contributes much less than 50% of the text.

I suppose...
Published 11 months ago by Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Autobiography, 20 Aug 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stillness and Speed: My Story (Paperback)
In October 2013, I nearly died from an episode of diabetes ketoacidosis. I spent a week in the Churchill Hospital in Oxford, on an insulin drip and painkillers, etc, and whilst stuck in bed for those few days, I read this wonderful little book from cover to cover. Reading Bergkamp's vivid account about his adoration for football, from his early days over in Amsterdam kicking a ball about with his mates on the streets, through to the halcyon days of his glorious professional career at Arsenal, really lifted my spirits whilst the medics where trying to repair me. Bergkamp goes into very great detail about the training methods used by his various coaches and managers over the years, which I found absorbing. He does of course talk about some of the wonderful players he played alongside over the years, including Patrick Viera, Tony Adams, and Thierry Henry, but I found that he devoted a lot more of the book to his coaches and managers, closely scrutinising what they did or didn't do well. He also tries really hard to explain what is going through a footballer's head in a moment of technical brilliance on the field, but just leaves you to conclude that they are simply acting on instinct (or, to be more exact, muscle memory). I've read many autobiographies by sports stars over the years, but this is definitely one of the best, certainly on a par with Boris Becker's autobiography, although not quite on a par with Andre Agassi's mesmerizingly honest and revealing autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for all football fans, 5 Nov 2013
The way Bergkamp speaks about the game is unlike 99% of pundits and ex-players. Insightful, thoughtful and forward thinking. If you're an Arsenal supporter its a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Oct 2013
The philosophy of a true footballing genius regarding his sport. Wonderful insight into a very private personality. If we could incorporate his philosophy into our game, maybe there's hope for us yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book About A Great Player, 28 Oct 2013
This is one of those books that, when you start reading it, is difficult to put down. It also has an unusual approach in that Denis Bergkamp's career is recounted by reference to viewpoints from contemporaries, particularly from club officials, with Bergkamp then
responding to their observations. The book also contains insights into how football clubs operate these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight, 18 Oct 2013
Excellent insight into a legend, his career, approach and philosophy. Comments from contemporaries helped set the context in relation to other legends of the game and the era. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REALLY GOOD READ!, 28 Oct 2013
Susan A. Cutler (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This was bought for my husband, mainly because we were going on a long business trip, and I thought it was something to do on the journey. Also, he is a big Bergkamp fan. If you are an Arsenal fan, and want to buy it, I suggest you go this way, as it is double the price on the Arsenal website, and you have P & P!!
Needless to say, he couldn't put the book down and he's not a big reader. I'm next in line to read it. Can't wait

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, 17 Oct 2013
An honest book by the worlds most delightful to watch gentleman of football. He was exciting towatch and this book is exciting to read. A real account of his life as a footballer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still missed, 21 May 2014
Great reading, he was the inspiration and maestro of the glory days. Greatest player I've ever seen in the red and white shirt and I've been watching them since 1950. The book reflects Dennis.

5.0 out of 5 stars (non) Autobiography of a free thinker, 30 Jan 2014
Simply the best book of it's kind. Stillness & Speed expresses Bergkamps vision of football using examples from his life & career rather than being a tell-all book about fall outs with managers and/or players. It makes you think about what football could be, whilst making you ruminate about how great it was to have had the likes of Bergkamp grace the beautiful game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unconventional, disappointingly so., 3 Jan 2014

I suppose it reflects Bergkamp's character in that he doesn't like to be too open within a public arena, so most topics are only given a light treatment, but given how highly regarded he is within the annuls of European football, this feels like a missed opportunity.

Perhaps, in light of his continued involvement in football, he didn't want to give too much away about his techniques and relationships, but this is what I look for in football autobiographies.

I still enjoyed the book and will be paying far more attention to Ajax's progress over the next few years as result of reading this book, but I can't shake the short-changed feeling I got.

Stillness and Speed: My Story
Stillness and Speed: My Story by Dennis Bergkamp (Paperback - 8 May 2014)