5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 - "Son of a Belgian Bun" & "Thunderclap" Stars.
Take three very different women, send them on holiday to a luxury hotel in Barcelona, add in a pregnancy, a sexy Journalist, a P.R nightmare, and a plethora of mix-ups, unfortunate incidents and comedic anecdotes and you have basically got The Time of our Lives.

Published 4 months ago by Miss Claire L. Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars The time of our lives
Imogen and two girl pals are heading off on a long-planned beach holiday in Barcelona. Imogen has a four-year-old girl at home and she's still hung up on the guy who left her with this baby on the way. Her boss asks her to leave the phone on, just in case. One of her friends is seven months pregnant and the other girl is out and proud.

Cue calamities galore,...
Published 2 months ago by Clare O'Beara

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 - "Son of a Belgian Bun" & "Thunderclap" Stars., 31 Mar 2014

Jane Costello has written a book of the type I adore, where you can't help but laugh, whether you are on the bus, at the station or sitting in a coffee shop minding your own business. I felt strangely proud that my obvious amusement bought a smile to the faces of several of the patrons in the coffee shop I was sitting in as there is nothing better than making someone else smile in my opinion.

Imogen, Meredith and Nicola have been friends forever and have always managed to squeeze in the odd girls-only holiday over the years. Although they have usually been of the budget Marbella or camping type in the past. Meredith is 7 Months pregnant and has won a holiday to the exclusive B Hotel in Barcelona and as her swansong before motherhood she takes her two best-friends along with her to enjoy a relaxing, 5 Star Luxury break.

I really don't know where to start when it comes to all of the things I loved about this book. Told from Imogen's POV there is a deeper and more serious story being told as the book progresses, and although I did cry my eyes out when it is fully revealed, I still felt like I was reading a book that contained laughter and fun on every page. Add in Harry the dashing and elusive Journalist, a boss with a death wish, black eyes, broken arms, a naked one-legged geography teacher, pigeon poo mugging techniques and attempting to bribe a night-club bouncer with prescription for Thrush cream and you can see why I was inappropriately laughing from the minute I started reading (and believe me this is just a very small percentage of what Imogen and her pals get up to).

There are verbal gems contained in literally every paragraph, but for me Meredith stole the show on more than one occasion -

Meredith on Imogen getting it on with Harry -

"I bet he's a Billionaire playboy like Christian Grey. He'd be perfect for you!"

"Because he's like Christian Grey? I haven't had sex in five years, Meredith. I think a butt plug on my first go might be a little ambitious."

Meredith on being in labour -

Concierge - "Is there anything at all we can get you?"

"Ooh, Champagne would be nice."

They say laughter is the best medicine, and reading The Time of Our Lives is like getting a concentrated shot, straight to all the places that you need it.

ARC provided via Netgalley and it was my absolute pleasure to provide the above honest review.

3.0 out of 5 stars The time of our lives, 5 May 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Cue calamities galore, which are funny at first but come to feel tedious. How many times do people actually fall over, overload their plate and tip it on top of someone, have a non-working bath in a pricey hotel? One or two calamities per trip might cover it but Imogen finds they just keep coming. Her boss has a work disaster which requires her input and she turns out to be extremely unprofessional. Even for someone on holiday.

There's a handsome man in the offing, Henry, and he seems a decent, intelligent type, but maybe Imogen's business crisis means she shouldn't be speaking to him. I would have liked to see more of the gay girl but the expectant mother takes up a lot of the pages.

This is a light enough read with a serious side as Imogen's obsession with her past love is revealed in stages. By the end she has learned more about herself and come to realise that her girl's first day at school might be more important than a business meeting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read! 5*****, 3 May 2014
This book was the first I have read by Jane Costello and I honestly thought it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish, I didn't want to put it down and well, I didn't. I read it from cover to cover skipping vital housework duties and purposely ignored phone calls because I wanted to read to the very end.
What I loved the most is that there wasn't just laugh out loud moments, I laughed so much at one point I was literally in tears, however the comedy aside it also touches on a more sensitive, heartbreaking and emotional journey and with that you feel nothing but empathy and compassion for Imogen the whole way through.
As a lover of authors such as Jojo Moyes, Jenny Colgan and Fiona Gibson, this read is way up at the top and I will be recommending this book to all I know. It was my first book by Jane but won't be my last.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry - but really not good., 3 May 2014
This review is from: The Time of Our Lives (Paperback)
Usually enjoy Jane Costello books .. not this one. Completely unrealistic and plain ridiculous at times. Not her best by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually cried with laughter!!, 14 April 2014
Julie Boon (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time of Our Lives (Paperback)
Absolutely loved, loved, loved this book. I have read all of Jane's books and I always say the last one is my favourite, but I really do think this one is the funniest. I did laugh out loud at The Wish List, but I actually had tears running down my face with this one. All of the characters have brilliant personalities and I couldn't wait to find out what happened in the end. One thing is for definite though, I will never look at a pineapple in the same way again!!! Would have given it 10 stars if I could, would definitely recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars The most dreadful puerile nonsense I've read in a long time, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Time of Our Lives (Paperback)
I've read several Jane Costello books but don't remember any of them having been so disastrously pathetic. The story line has no sense of reality. The characters are all absolutely ridiculous. The whole thing is implausible. The writing is sickeningly fake and the attempts at over the top humour and exaggeration come across as a lastditch attempt to make the book readable. They fail totally.

The whole thing is cringeworthy and smacks of an amateur author selfpublishing. Hatd to imagine there is a publisher and editorial team behind this, particularly as there were grammatical errors in it.

An extreme disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 7 April 2014
Sometimes along comes a book that you just want to devour and not put down, that is until you sense you're getting near to the end and you slow up, limiting your time as you can't bare to finish it. Well without a doubt this was one of those books. I could have happily continued in the lives of Imogen and Harry, Meredith and Nic for so much longer, some parts made be literally laugh out loud and it really was a great story, sadly though, like all good things, it came to an end and now I start the long wait til the next Jane Costello book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!!!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: The Time of Our Lives (Paperback)
It was the cover that first caught my eye, as soon as I bought this book I couldn't wait to get it home and get lost in it. That is exactly what I did. As soon as I started reading this book I was engrossed, I couldn't put it down, I managed to read this book in a record of 4 hours (luckily had done the housework beforehand)

It's rather hard to talk about the book without creating any 'spoilers'. This book really does have it all though, from laugh out loud moments to tear jerking moments. There's twists and turns that keep you enthralled to the very end.

Highly recommended!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 5 April 2014
another great book by jane Costello. have read them all and will await the next. funny, heartwarming and an easy read. couldn't put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, cry and enjoy, 5 April 2014
C. Clarricoates "slappawappa" (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok I am a tad emotional ATM and there are a few sad bits along the way but the laughs win through. I spluttered tea at a few points. But this is a story of friends standing together and supporting each other. Three women face their fears together and find different kinds of Lloyd and acceptance at the end. Each of Jane Costello's books adds another level to her writing. Read and enjoy

The Time of Our Lives
The Time of Our Lives by Jane Costello (Paperback - 27 Mar 2014)
3.85