5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read
I saw you on a chat show last week, just before your book was launched. I am not, in truth, a football fan but a fan of one of my friends who is a player, so I watch him. There is so much sense in what you say, e.g. that you have only 8 to 10 years to set yourself up for life. I also agree with everything you say about depression, only in my mid 60's do I feel able to...
Published 15 months ago by PW

3.0 out of 5 stars A Career in the last throes of decline
I had initially hesitated to buy Clarke Carlisle’s autobiography when I read of the controversy in it about the different perspectives of solving the approaches to anti-racism in football. Compounding this was my respect for Dave Thomas's views on the unnecessary bad language which had been quoted in publicity surrounding publication. DT’s Jimmy Adamson - The...
Published 14 months ago by TomFrederickBooks

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A footballers life, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: You Don't Know Me, But ...: A Footballer's Life (Hardcover)
A great read, thoroughly enjoyable, book. He is a very intelligent astute chap. It openend up our eyes to the life these footballers lead.

5.0 out of 5 stars good reading, 6 Dec 2013
my son will love this book when he gets it for Christmas. Clarke Carlisle has local connections to us and has spoken at my sons school.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't know me but A Footballers LIfe., 22 Nov 2013
Brilliant book as a cobblers fan it was great to get an insight into the workings of my club . Clarke appears to be a very honest guy who appreciates what football has given to him throughout his career. Good luck to him

4.0 out of 5 stars There's another life outside the Premier League, 1 Nov 2013
Very enlightening. Gives a vivid insight into life away from the players in the Premier League & the dramatic effect injuries can play. Your career is only as safe as the next game!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for soccer mums, 30 Oct 2013
As a Cobblers fan I couldn't wait to read this book. Clarke comes across in person as a sensitive soul and this is backed up by what I read here. Amazing that a life lived publicly can hide so much. This book doesn't gloss over the bad bits but does what other autobiographies don't......analyses them in an open, often self deprecating way. It is about time people in the world of sport begin to discuss depression. Then perhaps we will never see tragedies like Enke again. I read the book in one sitting. It's written in a very readable, conversational style and all mums of aspiring footballers at any level should read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars for afootball fan, 26 Oct 2013
Having seen Clarke Carlisle on TV promoting the book, \I bought it for my sons Christmas present.Sure he will be pleased with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 23 Oct 2013
This was a very good read with a great insight to his period at my own club. Interesting throughout and great detail about Clarke's personal troubles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, 15 Oct 2013
Miss E. Waples "Enya_NTFC" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as I am a Northampton Town fan. Whilst that may make me slightly biased as this book contains quite a bit on his last season with us, I would recommend this book to all football fans. Clarke offers an in-depth look at how injury and depression can blight a footballers career at whatever stage it may be in. Something which other reviewers have missed out on is Clarke's opinions on fans, he offers a good insight to how abuse from the crowd can affect a player and has made me re-think some of the things I may shout out at a game. I also enjoyed reading about the antics of professional footballers! It is well written and isn't heavy going. A good read for football fans.

If you enjoyed this then I also recommend Leon McKenzie's my fight with life - another ex-cobbler who offers a look in to his career and his fight with depression.

My Fight with Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 10 Oct 2013
Mr. B. A. French "bazzafrench" (Hampton Hill, Middx) - See all my reviews
I very enjoyable read about the ups and downs of a journeyman footballer. It is not as whiny as some football autobiographies and it dispels the myths that all footballers are unintelligent, overpaid morons. Some revealing moments about the `joys' of depression and a couple of moments where you have to wipe tears of mirth from your eyes.

4.0 out of 5 stars You don't know me but, i do now!, 30 Sep 2014
A rollercoaster ride of a professional footballer's career, stripped down, bare. Read many a sportsmans autobiography and this is simply one of the best

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

You Don't Know Me, But ...: A Footballer's Life
You Don't Know Me, But ...: A Footballer's Life by Clarke Carlisle (Hardcover - 12 Sep 2013)