Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2014
Unbreakable is basically an awesome ghost buster book! It has some pretty kick-ass characters and plenty of haunting scenes. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would! I hated - ABSOLUTELY HATED - Beautiful Creatures, but Unbreakable offered a gripping story line and lovable characters. I haven't read many ghost books since the Hereafter trilogy by Tara Hudson (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and I forgot how much I actually love them. Unlike Hereafter, Unbreakable definitely scared me at times!

Everything changes when Kennedy discovers her mother. Soon after two boys - twins - Jared and Lukas chuck heaps of information onto her that it was a spirit who committed the crime, but also that her mother was part of a secret society that rid of demons. Now Kennedy must take on what her mother committed herself too; joining Jared and Lukas, but also another two who won't just become her friends, they will also teach her how to fight the spirits.

I liked the idea of the love triangle. The whole two brothers fighting over one girl thing. Sadly, it felt a little to cliche for me as our protagonist just happens to fall for the more dark and mysterious brother, rather than the funny, cute and more likable one. There was no twist apart from a deep, dark secret between the two brothers that have caused them to separate. Apart from that, there wasn't much that stood out.

Yeah... I was looking for something more unique in the love-triangle department.

However, I did love the characters! Jared (the dark and mysterious brother) and Lukas (the funny, cute and likable brother), despite their contrast in personalities, remained kick-ass and strong male leads. While our protagonist Kennedy was fairly interesting with a lot more to give, I think!

This is not the best out there or the most unique or the most exciting or the most romantic, but it will keep you entertained and the characters are brilliant.

Unbreakable is a great ghost read; it's not too long and not too short with just enough twists to keep you happy. Definitely check this out if you love to be spooked! Kami Garcia's haunting descriptions won't disappoint. I will be reading the sequel Unbound!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 February 2015
A brief summary of this book's storyline isn't going to distinguish it from dozens of other similarly plotted and themed books. But that's fine, because the plot isn't the strong suit, or even really the point, of this very entertaining work.

We start with Kennedy, a spirited and engaging heroine. She starts out a bit angsty and dramatic, but transforms into a very appealing lead character. To me, a lot of her appeal is in the quirky and unpredictable way she processes information, reacts to events, and thinks about what is going on. While the plot may be conventional, (O.K. - demon hunts five teens who are the sole remaining members of an ancient demon hunter legion; teens have to find things and fight things and go places), the way it is handled is not.

The mood is creepy in a very convincing and compelling way. The characters are teens, but develop a good deal and have distinct and sometimes surprising sides to their personalities. Locations and scenes are especially well described, and the quality of the descriptive prose is way above the expected for this genre.

It's not that often that you read a book like this and find yourself pausing to admire a particularly apt description or crisp observation or arresting turn of phrase.

And, lots of thrillers aren't all that thrilling. This one delivers, mostly because the set action pieces are tightly written, the action takes place in colorfully strange and unnerving places, and the bad guys are convincingly eeeevil.

While there is a romance element it isn't all about mooning over some dreamy stud muffin. More to the point, if light romance doesn't suit you, well it isn't the focus of the tale and can be skipped without losing anything.

I know that there are lots of movies and TV shows that have plowed this same ground, and that there will be more movies and TV shows and books that will come along and plow it all over again. I'm not going to watch and read them all. But every now and then a creepy supernatural adventure/quest/horrorthon is fun. This struck me as an especially fun one.

Please note that I received a free ecopy of this book in exchange for a candid review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
on 13 November 2013
If you're considering this book, and like me, are quite easily spooked, give yourself either some preparation time, or lose out on reading this gem of a book, and if you want my advice, preparation time is the best option, because you do not want to miss out on reading this. Unbreakable was so much more, and so much better than what I had expected. It sent chills down my spine and had me wriggling from both the cold and my nerves for hours on end. It turns out, I'm a bigger fan of horror/thriller than I could ever have expected.

Unbreakable didn't falter in the beginning like other books I've read recently; while some books drag throughout the beginning, Unbreakable didn't. Kami Garcia threw me straight into her writing and story and I was hooked within the first chapter, however, I am a little frustrated with the 'hidden past, must fulfill some kind of destiny' plot that appears to be floating around YA near enough in every single book, and that is one of the extremely small negative points that I didn't enjoy through this book. However, as the story continued I just began to enjoy it more and more.

The range of characters that Kami Garcia created within this story were wonderful and so enjoyable to read about. Each of the characters she created were unique and a breath of fresh air, all with their own talents and specialties and I enjoyed watching them all grow and become better, and stronger characters throughout the story. As it got creepier, the characters grew more confident and they continued to wow me with every chapter. I was utterly enthralled. When it came down to the concept of the story, I was shocked beyond compare. I had never expected it to be such a creepy story. It reminded me of Anna Dressed in Blood, just with a much better, much more realistic, and much more wonderful romance; I was sold. It had the perfect amount of horror and thriller, story and character building and insane, monstrous, murderous ghosts, and I loved every moment. Granted, I spent most of the time completely convinced I was going to die from homicide via ghosts, but it was so thrilling to read.

I was also very happy that Kami Garcia didn't create a love triangle, especially when she quite easily could have. I've become quite fed up of love triangle taking over the action and mystery in books lately, so when I come across a book that doesn't have one, I get quite happy inside. I was glad she kept her writing style simple as well, allowing me full responsibility as to imagine all the scenes myself, leaving me and solely me responsible for how scared or freaked out I became. It takes skill to put the scare factor blame on the reader, and Garcia did it well.

I only had around 3 minuscule things I didn't like about the book, and by minuscule, I mean hardly hindered my enjoyment whatsoever, and that's been extremely rare lately, so I was insanely glad to have given into temptation to buy this book. One of the small issues was the repetitiveness of some physical appearances and while this is a personal preference, it was still an issue. Another was the cover. I couldn't take to the cover for a number of reasons, however, none of these reasons effected my rating of the book. I felt the cover itself didn't compliment the story within in any way. The model on the cover was nothing like I had imagined Kennedy to be, and the actual design had nothing to do with the story either. Having now read the book, I would have expected something creepier, something more relatable to the story within, as this cover just looks like I could have designed it on my computer, and from a brilliant author, I expected a little bit more. However, this book has shown me that you seriously can't judge a story from the cover it's been given.

Unbreakable is a spectacular book with a fantastic concept, all wrapped up in a collection of individual characters and great grasp of religious history, horror and creep. I've finally found a story that actually understood the idea behind character growth, and didn't lose focus on the plot for the romance. I would recommend the hell out of this book, to absolutely everyone, even those who are wary of horror. This book will creep you out, hold you tight and then throw you into an electric chair for the fun of it. It's an absolutely favourite of mine, and I seriously can't wait for the sequel.
on 12 June 2015
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Unbreakable is the first in The Legion series by Kami Garcia, best known for the Caster Chronicles written with co-author Margaret Stohl. Having read the first two books in that series, and enjoyed them, I already had an inkling of what the writing style and the theme (paranormal/fantasy/young adult) would be like. However I was slightly wrong. Unbreakable was a much faster pace and less drawn out than Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness, which made it a more gripping read. I did feel that it went too fast at the beginning with things happening that were not being explained or described enough to be understood. Perhaps there was an intention behind this in order to get the reader into the main plot line quicker but without leaving us completely without a clue as to what was going on.

The storyline revolves around a group known as The Legion. All five members die suddenly leaving five teenagers to take their places. Seventeen-year-old Kennedy Waters, the narrator, is the only new member who was unaware of the legion, therefore both she and we, as readers, learn and piece together the purpose of the team of five.

Essentially, without giving too much away, the plot is to discover the parts of a device known as the Ophthalmic Shift by uncovering and following clues. Of course it is not as simple as that as the characters have to battle several vengeful spirits and end up in numerous dangerous situations. Although it is set in the present day there were a couple of historical and biblical references at the beginning, nevertheless The Legion, clues and symbols are fictional. The book was illustrated with some of the symbols mentioned which makes it so much easier to understand the written description. I often find that when artwork, particularly symbols, are described, I cannot picture them in my head so it was handy to have these illustrations in place.

One thing that bothered me was how quickly Kennedy accepted what was going on. I personally would not have coped under the same circumstances so it felt odd that Kennedy believed what she was told so quickly without too much denial. I admit this would have slowed down the pace of the overall book so I will not complain about it.

Naturally with most young adult novels there is some romance involved. Unlike Beautiful Creatureshowever this romance did not contribute to the main plot… well, not much…

Garcia ends the narrative on a cliffhanger leaving us wondering what will happen next which we will find out in the second book, Unbound, which will be published in 2014. I gave a four star rating because it was interesting and my mind did not wander whilst reading it as it has done with other books I have read recently (some which I gave three stars to). I will not go as far as to say this book was amazing or particularly special but I am curious to discover what happens next.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a quick read and enjoys paranormal themes.
The Legion series has a lot to live up to -- after all, Kami Garcia is one-half of the team who wrote the bestselling "Beautiful Creatures" series.

Well, her first solo book doesn't have the Southern charm of those books, but "Unbreakable" has its own brand of gritty, spooky suspense. In fact, it's one of the more entertaining urban fantasies for young adults in recent years -- a straightforward quest mingled with some drama and romance, but with a non-conclusion that leaves you dangling off a cliff until the second book comes out.

Four weeks ago, Kennedy found her mother mysteriously dead. But the day before she's to be shipped off to boarding school, a ghost possesses her cat and almost kills her. She's rescued by Lukas and Jared, identical twins who specialize in dispatching "vengeance spirits" -- ghosts who crave the life they lost. And yes, one of them killed her mother.

Kennedy soon learns that they are two-fifths of the Legion of the Black Dove, a secret organization devoted to sealing away the demon Andras, whom their ancestors accidentally semi-freed. And she is one of them too, but her mother never told her about this or trained her for what was ahead. So she's immediately in over her head with the angry, dangerous ghosts that the Legion contends with.

But there does seem to be hope when Kennedy finds an old inscription about the Shift, some sort of artifact that might have the power to destroy Andras for good. But it's been disassembled, so the Legion must unravel the riddles that show where the pieces are, and deal with the ghosts that are guarding them.

"Unbreakable" has a fairly straightforward narrative -- unravel a riddle, defeat a dangerous ghost, find a piece of the Shift. Rinse, repeat. You don't really get many twists until the last few chapters of the book, when Garcia unexpectedly flips your perceptions of everything that has happened -- and of course, leaves the ending wide open for the second book of the series. Without revealing too much, it would be hard for stakes to get any higher.

But until then, she spins a fast-moving, spooky take with a lot of genuinely grotesque ghosts -- just consider the woman with the broken neck, or Alara being bound into an electric chair. The Legion's quest gives the story a very gritty, flying-by-the-seat-of-their-pants atmosphere, as they rush around to haunted mansions, prisons and tiny towns. There's even a fun stint in Lilburn Mansion, a real-life haunted house that I have actually seen.

The biggest problem is perhaps that it seems implausible that -- photographic memory or no -- Kennedy would be the ONLY person to ever notice the information about the Shift. Yes, she needs some way of proving herself, but it's reaching.

But Kennedy is a thoroughly likable heroine -- she's an ordinary girl with no special powers except a photographic memory, who had an ordinary life until she encounters the twins. There's also a dash of romance with Jared, a brooding teen who (naturally) is harboring his own personal demons. Lukas isn't as well defined -- it's hard to know what drives him -- but the blunt-spoken voodoo action-girl Alara and quirky tech guy Priest round out the cast nicely.

With a likable cast and some nicely creepy moments, "Unbreakable" is a solid paranormal treasure-hunt that promises to blossom into something darker and creepier.
on 8 November 2014
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publishers through Netgally in return for an honest review.

This is the first book in a new YA Paranormal series by Kami Garcia. I loved it!

Kennedy Waters is an interesting character. I really liked her. She is an ordinary teen, with ordinary problems, but she has a fantastic eye for detail and is an excellent artist. However, her life is about to take a dangerous twist when her mother is murdered, and Kennedy finds out that there really are things that go "bump" in the night.

I really enjoyed the Beautiful Creatures novels this author co-wrote, so when I found out that she was writing a series on her own I was excited.

I started to read this book and I was quickly hooked! I loved the first scene, because it was extremely unnerving and creepy. I don't visit cemeteries at night anyway, but reading that scene has completely put me off even trying; it sent shivers up my back!
I liked meeting the other characters in this book. Jared and Lukas Lockhart may be seventeen year old twins, but they have very different temperaments. Jared is very intense and serious, while Lukas is more laid back and charming. Priest is an engineering genius, even though he's only fifteen, and quite sweet. Alara is also seventeen, but she is good with wards and is quite focused and determined. Together, they are four-fifths of a group called the Legion; a secret group of ghost and demon hunters. Kennedy finds herself becoming the fifth member of this motley crew.
This story is full of action and danger, secrets and surprises. I loved watching the scenes unfold. The descriptions of the people and places were such that I could picture them with ease. There is a palpable sexual chemistry between Kennedy and Jared, and the tension is building nicely between them. The book finishes on a cliffhanger that felt a bit tame compared to the scene preceding it, but I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series as soon as possible.

Kami Garcia has written a fantastic YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy. I loved her fast paced writing style, and the flow was wonderful. Although I loved the Beautiful Creatures series, I think that this book has shown me that she can write stories on her own. I hope she will continue to do so in the future.

I highly recommend this book if you love YA/Paranormal Romances/Urban Fantasy. - Lynn Worton
on 20 September 2014
It's dark, it's creepy and it's a graveyard, Kennedy would love to be anywhere else but she has to find her cat. Unfortunately a spirit finds her first. Although Kennedy doesn't believe in ghosts she pretends it never happens. But then her cat starts to act strangely and when she comes home to find her mother dead, things take a turn for the worse.

Four weeks later, spending her last night in her home before she goes to boarding school in New York, a waaay better option than living with her aunt, she awakes to find her cat lying on her chest being all kinds of freaky and taking her breath. It's at that point that twins Lukas and Jared burst into her room and shoot it, then the creepy graveyard ghost that comes out of her cat. Enter epic scale freakout, made even worse when the twins are still there the next day with the happy news that a demon is trying to kill her, promptly followed by her unplugged radio spazzing out and all her knives trying to stab her.

As she escapes with the boys, they reveal that her mother was a part of The Legion of the Black Dove, ancient secret society that protects the world from a demon their ancestors unleashed centuries ago in their fight against the Illuminati. Turns out Kennedys mum wasn't the only society member murdered. All five where, in the same way on the same night, making the kids the new Legion.

Kennedy has to take her place along with Priest, Alara, Lukas and Jake in order to uncover the truth and stay in the land of the living. The gang embarks on a quest to find the five scattered pieces of a device called the Shaft, which they believe will destroy the demon. Journeying from one creepy place to the next, battling the spirits sworn to protect the pieces, bonds form, love prospers and creepiness abounds. Unfortunately, not everything is as it seems...

Holy shiiiiiiiitt. Excuse my language but seriously, I think I have another favourite series. Being the avid Supernatural fan that I am, I couldn't resist this when I read the synopsis I mean ghosts and demons?! I wasn't sure what to expect, but I really wasn't expecting to love this book this much! It's like a YA Supernatural with more hunters and twin brothers, how can you not read it!?!

I was hooked in from the first creepy page, and from then on I couldn't put the book down. It's fast paced, engaging, entertaining has a smooth flow and excellent prose. The plot was fairly complex, with plenty of twists and turns that are largely unpredictable, the last twist in particular, I really did not see coming! You spend the entire book thinking one thing and then at the end it's like "BHAM SURPRISE BITCH" and you're like whaaaaaaaaaaaaat. ,It was the perfect cliffhanger, you're left wanting more, and the next book is set up perfectly right in the end chapters, but subtly and without giving much away for what's going to happen in the next book. There's an obvious plot point but yeah.
Essentially it's kind of a quest story with clues and going from location to location, but it's more....spiced up shall we say? What with the spirits and everything.

The world building is astounding. There's detail, but it's concise and doesn't interrupt the narrative with too much information. The world really does suck you in. I didn't want to leave the world of the story to be honest. Each location is described very vividly and very creepily. I mean we have creepy house, creepy well, creepy children's home and creepy prison, the shop wasn't quite up there with the other creepy ones but to be hones that was a nice break. I still need to go in to shops, and after reading this book I think I will avoid the creepy places mentioned...not that I wouldn't be avoiding them any way...in some cases...but yeah.

Like I said all these different locations and settings are vividly brought to life and suck you in. You can feel the atmosphere of the places oozing off the page, and the writing was very cinematic for me. Or maybe that's just how my brain works with awesome books, I don' t know?

The world created is very in the vein of Supernatural with the demons, which we haven't seen yet but I'm fairly certain they're different, and the ghosts and vengeful spirits and so on, and with the whole salt thing and weapons. BUT the unique part of the book that I latched on to and loved is the rich history of the Legion. What they are, how they came about, what happened and so on. It's so very enthralling but we don't get all the details in one go, we get enough to tide us over and keep our intrigue up. Like we don't know exactly what happened when the ancestors summoned the demon, what happened to the angel? What's the deal with Kennedy's mum? I'm fairly sure he dad is someone important too.

Kennedy I loved, I connected with her and I could empathize with her. She's not a badass, but she's not useless either even though she thinks she is. Yeah she can't fight but her photographic memory and drawing skills come in handy with binding symbols and devils traps. She's had a rough go of it, and now she's thrown in to this world with all these badass fighters, and she feels like she doesn't belong and I think a lot of people can sympathize with that. But at the same time, she's not afraid, well she was a bit, but she still went in to the haunted house, she jumped in the well after Priest etc and towards the end of the book you could see her courage growing, and I'm excited to see it taken further in the next book.

Each character is well written, multi-dimensional and has plenty of depth. Each of them has a different story. Each has a different background. They're all so different but work so well together. In the book they each have a specialty, another unique element, Jared's for example being fighting and weapons. We get to know a bit about each of them, and what made them who they are today. I feel I can't pick a favourite!

We have a romance going on, I'm sure it'll please a lot of you! Kennedy and Jared. It's not really anything more than her liking him and him caring about her in the beginning, the romance was to me, fairly secondary, which was no bad thing, it was there but it wasn't in your face, but you see the relationship grow and build up and towards the end it hits full on romance territory.

Jared is a damaged soul, he thinks the deaths of their family members was his fault and Lukas certainly blames him for it. He essentially thinks he's bad and screws everything up which makes him very different from the standard hero who's all "I'm sexy and I know it and I can do no wrong", he's not perfect and I loved that, Kennedy isn't perfect either, both have screwed up and I just really loved reading about them, the whole not perfect thing made them more realistic and human. They're also totally adorable.

I feel I should mention Lukas right about now. Jared's twin brother. I'm not sure yet if there will be a love triangle. As far as I could tell, Kennedy likes Jared, Lukas is her friend. Lukas likes her, but I can't tell in what capacity, sometimes it seems one way, other times another. It's going to be interesting to see if we're going to have a full on love triangle and how it's going to be dealt with. I have every faith in Kami to write it perfectly either way.

I'm kind of rambling at this stage in fangirly glee, and I'm not sure if I've left anything out! Buuuuuuuuuuuttt....

Unbreakable is a perfect blend of action, romance, adventure, supernatural and the creepy. Fast paced, it'll keep you glued to the page the entire way through with the engaging narrative, bouts of humour, mysteries, heart pounding moments and rich history regarding the Legions. Delightfully creepy it's guaranteed to send shivers down your spine and depending on your creep factor...possibly make you sleep with the light on! Unbreakable is a unique take on demons and ghosts, and I can't wait to see more.

If you love Supernatural, you're gonna love this. I chuckled every time someone said or thought "....unnatural"*winkwink*
on 16 September 2014
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

This is the first book in The Legion series, and it is extraordinarily brilliant. I can’t wait to read the next book in this fabulous new series.

The Review:

Kennedy Walters never believed in ghosts, until the night one tried to kill her that is. Being rescued by gorgeous identical twins Jared and Lucas Lockhart, after they break into her house, and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her, is a unexpected and terrifying wake up call to the dark forces ruling the supernatural world. A world Kennedy had no idea even existed. Being informed that her mum was part of a secret society called Legion, responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon, is shocking to say the least, but finding out that the five members of the group were all killed on the same night, and that Jared, Lucas, along with two other new members of the group, Priest and Alara, have been looking for her, Kennedy, to take her place and join in the battle against evil, is a lot to take in, especially when Kennedy unlike the others was told nothing about Legion or the battle raging against the world by her mother, unlike the others who have trained all their lives for the day they take over the fight.
The race is on. Kennedy must join the fight, if only to uncover the truth of the legacy she knows nothing about. They must all find a weapon that might be able to destroy the demon, while battling the demons and spirits he controls every step of the way. And as if all that isn’t hard enough, Kennedy finds herself drawn to both Jared and Lucas and the attraction is mutual!

FTC Advisory: Little, Brown and Company through Net Galley provided me with a copy of Unbreakable by Kami Garcia. Published through Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
on 25 March 2014
Unbreakable was fast-paced and action packed, emotional with a bitter sweet romance.

Kennedy’s whole world changes when her mother dies, apparently of natural causes. She has to leave her childhood home and start again, many miles away. But before she can, two teenage boys burst into her bedroom in the middle of the night and save her from a homicidal ghost.

Jared and Lukas Lockhart are used to the paranormal and things that go bump in the night. The belong to the Legion, a group of five individuals charged with the task of saving humanity from demonic attacks and prevented one specifically from causing more havoc than he already has. And Kennedy’s mother was part of the Legion and so her responsibility falls to her daughter.

Kennedy is thrown headfirst into a world of demons and poltergeists, trapped spirits and vengeful ones. As much as she would love to bury her head in the sand and pretend it has nothing to do with her, the other four Legion members need her and she can’t turn away from that.

Overwhelmed and emotionally exhausted, Kennedy feels as though she will never where she fits within the Legion. Each has a speciality but she has no idea what hers is. And then there is the twins, Jared and Lukas. Lukas is the one who sets her at ease, whose touch comforts her. Jared sets her body on edge and wakes her up so completely.

Unbreakable was a pretty good read. It has been heavily compared to Supernatural and Buffy and I did find it distracting while I was reading it as I noticed the similarities. I am a massive fan of both shows but felt maybe the book should have been more its own thing. I did like the characters, but found it was Priest, one of the younger members of the Legion who I was most fond of.

The story line itself was gripping and a great premise. Really, the only negative thing I could say was the romance let itself down a little. I love teen angst and ‘it can never work’ love stories as much as the next person, but there was too much back and forth in a very short space of time for it to be appealing.

All in all a welcome addition to the genre, and I will be looking out for the next in the series.
on 2 February 2014
This book had me from the start with all the crazy happenings going on right from the beginning and by the time Kennedy meets the other cast, who form up the Legion, my heart was pounding from the unexplained horrors that were already starting to haunt Kennedy.

Kami wastes no paper, beautifully describing the horrors of the vengeance spirits - I was able to imagine them as though they were standing at the foot of my bed! They went from innocent looking groups of children to bruised mother and son raising up from the Wells, the anxiety and terror never let up.

At the beginning, typically, Kennedy wasn't sure what was going on, was she going insane from finding her Mother lying dead on the bed after coming home from a night out? Or was the something unnatural starting to occur? She soon starts to find answers when she meets the Twins Jack and Jared who explain that she is the latest member of the secret society to fight these vengeance spirits and their "master" Andras (Demon). This is the point where we meet the other intriguing members of this society, who form The Legion.

I have to admit, Character development isn't Kami's strongest point in this book as there is very little background snippets from these other characters, so in a sense, we don't really get to know them etc. Yet, most is forgiven due to the fast paced, action-packed plot.

Sadly have to admit, I didn't see the ending that happened coming, the way I perceived the book was to be a solid ending, yet, it leaves on a cliff hanger, wanting to read more. I cannot wait to get my hands onto the next book!

[...]